CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   POLERIZING MY GENERATOR AND VOLTAGE REGULATOR (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/660363-polerizing-my-generator-and-voltage-regulator.html)

STEVES59 09-27-2003 11:21 PM

POLERIZING MY GENERATOR AND VOLTAGE REGULATOR

SOME ONE PLEASE SPLAIN TO ME :banghead:

Chuck Gongloff 09-28-2003 12:57 AM

Re: POLERIZING MY GENERATOR AND VOLTAGE REGULATOR (STEVES59)

In order for the generator to charge, the armature has to have the correct polarity in respect to the field coils. SO....you take a wire and "spark" the armature terminal from the POS battery terminal. That gives the generator the correct polarity. If you don't spark or polarize it, it won't charge. Chuck

K2 09-28-2003 01:08 AM

Ok here goes. Its a very simple procedure. After installing the generator and hooking up all of the leads, but before starting, it is necessary to polarize the generator. The polarizing procedure is different depending on whether the field is internally or externally grounded. Since I'm assuming you are working on a C1 I know that the generator is of the externally grounded variety and the following procedure should be followed. Get yourself a jumper wire and momentarily connect the jumper from the Bat. to the Gen. or Arm. terminal on the voltage regulator. Just a momentary contact (1/2 second) is required. That's all there is to it. :smash: :steering:

Jimbo64 09-30-2003 07:42 AM

I just replaced the alternator on my 64 but did not polarize it. It appears to work fine but is this something that I needed to do and should always do if alternators are changed? Is the procedure the same. thanks -----Jim :seeya

Tom/99 09-30-2003 08:02 AM

Re: POLERIZING MY GENERATOR AND VOLTAGE REGULATOR (Jimbo64)

Jimbo64, You do not have to polorize an alternator, just a generator.

Jimbo64 09-30-2003 08:14 AM

Re: POLERIZING MY GENERATOR AND VOLTAGE REGULATOR (Tom/99)

Tom thanks for the quick reply. With me, each bit of information is an educational
thing as I'm learning. Guess that will go on as long as I tinker. Have a great day> :cheers:

62fuelie 09-30-2003 10:59 PM

If you don't polarize the generator, there is a 50/50 chance it will work correctly anyway. It's a good idea to follow the proceedure any time any of the components in the charging system are changed or disconnected.

1959VetteJan 04-21-2011 08:07 AM

Folks,

I will be putting in a rebuilt generator into my '59 Vette. Just wnat to ensure that I don't mess up the polarizing of the gen. The jumper cable would be connected to the positive pole on the battery to which of the three on the generator? I am assuming that the one on the top is the correct one (the one with the round warning tag).

Please confirm before I cause more damage :-)

Thanks,

Jan

Frankie the Fink 04-21-2011 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can do it with a short jumper right at the voltage regulator -- these are the instructions (in the red stripe at the top) right off the regulator.

Donald #31176 04-21-2011 10:23 AM

http://www.johnpirkle.com/tech%20tips/tech%20tips.htm

leaky4150 04-21-2011 05:33 PM

when replacing a voltage regulator. does the regulator need to be polarized with an alternator in system?

Frankie the Fink 04-21-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by leaky4150 (Post 1577406889)
when replacing a voltage regulator. does the regulator need to be polarized with an alternator in system?

You polarize the GENERATOR not the REGULATOR so, no, if you have an alternator -- no polarization required...

Its a big confusing since you can polarize the generator at the V/R terminals...

John S 1961 04-21-2011 06:24 PM

I like to polarize a generator by tossing it in the nearest large body of water, If it floats back up its polarized and good to go.

If it doesnt I install an alternator and never worry again.

Frankie the Fink 04-21-2011 07:06 PM

I never worry with my generator....never had it off the car; never had to touch it yet....
and it runs my 600W Kenwood radio amplifier just fine...

1snake 04-21-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by John S 1961 (Post 1577407291)
I like to polarize a generator by tossing it in the nearest large body of water, If it floats back up its polarized and good to go.

If it doesnt I install an alternator and never worry again.

You're right. Generators suk and are a maintenance nightmare. In fact, I've actually had to replace the brushes in mine, ONCE IN 35 YEARS. My suggestion is, tie 1000 generators to your body and jump in that same body of water. If you float back up, you're NOT an idiot.:rolleyes: There are millions of cars running generators that have zero problems.

Jim

Pilot Dan 04-21-2011 08:25 PM

Rebuilt my original generator once 20 + years ago and never had to touch it since. As for polarizing, key on, small flat blade screw driver across the two terminals of the regulator momentarily and your done. Those without training as a rocket scientist need not worry. :smash: Pilot Dan

Ironcross 04-21-2011 08:28 PM

''

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...d/DSC00002.jpg