CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   What to do with old gas? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/690002-what-to-do-with-old-gas.html)

Pedro'74 11-12-2003 12:22 PM

What to do with old gas?

Hi All,

I'm just anticipating a problem that I'll have sometime soon: I started a project that should have been completed in two months or so, but was dragged for almost a year (I guess some of you can relate... :) ). Because I wasn't planning to have the car sit for such a long time, I only remembered to add fuel stabilizer to the tank when it was perhaps too late---after 6 months. So now I have an almost full tank of old gas... What to do with it?

I found a website that suggests that one should filter the gas, and add it a little (1 gallon?) at a time to the tank, mixing it with a larger quantity of new good gas. Is that safe?

Thanks in advance.

:cheers:
-Pedro

markdtn 11-12-2003 12:27 PM

Re: What to do with old gas? (Pedro'74)

When I have old gas I either mix it a little at a time with good gas in my truck or just run it in the lawn mower.

Boofers 11-12-2003 12:29 PM

Sniff it :crazy:

BSeery 11-12-2003 12:30 PM

I pump it out and put it into my Chevy truck.

Pedro'74 11-12-2003 01:05 PM

Re: What to do with old gas? (BSeery)

Thanks for the responses, guys! So I guess it won't be a problem burning a little at a time in my daily driver...

As for sniffing, I've tried... It made me a bit :lolg:, then :sad:, and then :sleep:, but it's really not the same thing as sniffing good new gas, which always makes me :crazy:.

:cheers:
-Pedro

[Modified by Pedro'74, 1:29 PM 11/12/2003]

norvalwilhelm 11-12-2003 01:10 PM

I would just try it. I have heard of vehicles sitting for years and fire right up with the old gas. Infact I bought a car stored for years and it fired and ran fine on the old gas.
If that bothers you it certainly won't hurt your daily driver.

The Dude 11-12-2003 01:21 PM

Like some of the others have said, siphon it into a can and then use it in the lawn mower or weed whacker and add a gallon or two to each tank of "new" gas you put in the Daily Driver.

[Modified by The Dude, 10:22 AM 11/12/2003]

Pedro'74 11-12-2003 01:42 PM

Re: What to do with old gas? (The Dude)

Thanks, guys! Since it doesn't seem that I'll be using the lawn mower anytime soon, I'll start mixing a little at a time of this old gas with fresh gas in my daily driver.

-Pedro

AGVI 11-12-2003 01:59 PM

:iagree:

[Modified by AGVI, 2:01 PM 11/12/2003]

Fevre 11-12-2003 02:04 PM

Re: What to do with old gas? (norvalwilhelm)

I would just try it. I have heard of vehicles sitting for years and fire right up with the old gas. Infact I bought a car stored for years and it fired and ran fine on the old gas.
If that bothers you it certainly won't hurt your daily driver.
:iagree:

I left my vette sit for 2 years with 1/2 tank and put some of the storage additive in after a year then a bottle of octane boost in just before running it after the 2 years. You could siphone out 1/2 tank then drive to the gas station first thing and fill up.

munday 11-12-2003 10:58 PM

Re: What to do with old gas? (Fevre)

use it to strip your paint for that new maaco job

mapman 11-13-2003 04:47 AM

I took mine to our local city hazardous waste facility.

mrvette 11-13-2003 06:08 AM

Mix it with old crankcase drippings, and put it around the foundation of your house to kill termites....

GENE

dmrodco 11-13-2003 09:02 AM

I called my local EPA guy the other day and asked about dumping this sort of stuff ya know what he told me , I still can't believe he said it ! He said to dump cat litter into it until it was soaked up then throw in the garbage ! this was from the local EPA too !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: