CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Factory Correct Resto (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/factory-correct-resto-77/)
-   -   Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/factory-correct-resto/765195-brake-proportioning-valve-rebuild.html)

Red69 02-29-2004 11:03 AM

Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild

Can my brass proportioning valve be rebuilt? Are there kits available? Who might offer this service?

Thanks!

LemansBlue68 02-29-2004 12:47 PM

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (Red69)

What most people refer to as a brake proportioning valve on a Corvette is actually just a pressure differential switch. It lights the brake warning light on the dash there is a malfunction in the front or rear hydraulic circuit causing one or the other to lose pressure. I believe only the J-56 heavy duty brake option included a true brake proportioning valve.

I believe Paragon Reproductions will rebuild them for you.

I just disassembled mine and cleaned it up. It was really a very simple mechanism. Not much to go wrong.

Red69 03-01-2004 12:53 PM

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (LemansBlue68)

Two more questions....

Does the 69 version have wires connected to it?......

How do you disassemble it? Seems to me there is a spring in it... I havent figured out how to remove it?

Thanks

Chuck Gongloff 03-01-2004 05:17 PM

Yes, there's a wire to it. But as previously stated, that wire is for the internal pressure differential switch. If the switch isn't "centered", the "BRAKE" light on the dash lights up....the same light that comes on when you have the emergency brake on. Never took one apart. Chuck

Red69 03-02-2004 07:30 PM

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (Chuck Gongloff)

Thanks chuck - My wire has been re-wired (missing)... :cry ... I'll have to dig a little futher to see where it is...

Ever opened one up? I got the pressure switch off no problem... But I'm interested in removing the innerds... Any advice to offer? :confused:

70BBvert 03-03-2004 08:20 AM

Did mine from my 70 a few months ago. Didn't take out the rod that slides, don't know if it will come out - couldn't figure that one out. :rolleyes: Soaked it in paint thinner for a few days & used a thin pin punch to make sure the rod moved freely. Lubed the inside with some brake fluid, tested the switch and replaced the O-rings. Done & re-installed :thumbs:

Jim

R1234 03-06-2004 08:48 AM

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (70BBvert)

:iagree: Did the same thing to mine. So far so good.

SWCDuke 03-06-2004 12:14 PM

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (70BBvert)

Did mine from my 70 a few months ago. Didn't take out the rod that slides, don't know if it will come out - couldn't figure that one out. :rolleyes: Soaked it in paint thinner for a few days & used a thin pin punch to make sure the rod moved freely. Lubed the inside with some brake fluid, tested the switch and replaced the O-rings. Done & re-installed :thumbs:

Jim
With the exception of the outside surfaces, NEVER clean brake parts in a petroleum solvent. USE DENATURED ALCOHOL!!!

Duke

Red69 03-07-2004 10:01 AM

Re: Brake Proportioning Valve Rebuild (SWCDuke)

I guess the big question is ... are there any o rings or seals internal to the valve? I would like to bead basst it down, but if I cant get to the innerds, thats not really an option....

[Modified by Red69, 12:22 AM 3/9/2004]