CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Tracy Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/927967-tracy-performance.html)

81 Vette 10-17-2004 11:46 PM

Tracy Performance

Has anyone here USED their products, know of people who have? They seem to have a quite a history but Ive never heard of them until tonight. Any reccomendations or warnings?

http://www.tracyvette.com/

cryzko 10-17-2004 11:55 PM

umm

yeah... you can walk in there and it's like a big parts store with items everywhere..... i've been there a few times

cryzko

rosslato 10-18-2004 12:05 AM

yeah i've been there, it's a corvette graveyard. bought my hooker headers there 14 yrs ago. took em off and had em dechromed and jetcoated 7 yrs ago. only time i've ever bought anything from them. couldn't tell ya if they're reputable or nothttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/vette026.jpg

81 Vette 10-18-2004 12:23 AM

Did you do a custom grill on your ride there?? Im trying to do a chrome grill setup...any clue?

rosslato 10-18-2004 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 81 Vette
Did you do a custom grill on your ride there?? Im trying to do a chrome grill setup...any clue?

R U referring to rosslato? no, just painted mine to match carcolor. but the coolest grills i've seen are painted black with all the leading edges ground down, gives very unique look. i'll look to see if i can find some pics of a vette that had it done perfect.

81 Vette 10-18-2004 12:52 AM

Thanks...aprreciated...grills on the 81/82 just dont stand out enough for me, I want a bolder statement.

rosslato 10-18-2004 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by rosslato
R U referring to rosslato? no, just painted mine to match carcolor. but the coolest grills i've seen are painted black with all the leading edges ground down, gives very unique look. i'll look to see if i can find some pics of a vette that had it done perfect.

COULDN'T FIND THE PICS, SORRY.

81 Vette 10-18-2004 01:53 AM

s'all good....

Ive seen how the grill fits in, and what I might do is just grind the grill mounts off of the actual grill part and then reattach the polished aluminum pieces...somehow.. any suggestions.

Also, anyone know of a company or HOW to get rid of that effing liscence plate cover on the front?? I know its molded right into the fibreglass but is it posible or practical to remove it and stick a grill into it?

stingr69 10-18-2004 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 81 Vette
Has anyone here USED their products, know of people who have? They seem to have a quite a history but Ive never heard of them until tonight. Any reccomendations or warnings?

http://www.tracyvette.com/

Called them on the phone once about buying a pair of heads. They start by telling me they will charge like $100 extra to match the date codes. :(

I don't care about the dates and give them a Credit card number and order the $$$ overpriced heads. The heads never show up, the order was "LOST", BUT the charge showed up clear as day on my statement. :bs No sympathy at all when I called to inquire about this. No heads either.

If you can see the parts in advance, in your hand, you might want to pay cash and carry them out, or just RUN AWAY as fast as you can if you can get it elsewhere. :nono:

-Mark.

81 Vette 10-18-2004 12:32 PM

Good to know, Ill steer clear. Thanks for the info.

LemansBlue68 10-18-2004 01:30 PM

Called them about rebuilding the trailing arms for my car a few years ago.

They ask:
"What do you consider a rebuild?"

me:
"Ummm, bearing replacement, replace e-brake parts, replace mounting bushing, clean and paint trailing arm." (This is what Van Steel, Bair's and many others include as their rebuild--probably even more than I mention here)

They tell me:
"Bearing replacement will be about $300 per arm."

me:
"Do you include any of the other things I mentioned in that price?"

They tell me:
"Nope. That other stuff is extra."

me:
"How much extra?"

They tell me:
"Gotta see'em first, bring'em in." <Click!!!>

I didn't even get the chance to tell them, "No thanks!!"
They were rude, not helpfull at all, and acted like they were the only place that could do this work.

I ended up sending my T-arms to Bair's. They did an excellent job and even considering shipping, were cheaper than what Tracy wanted for just a bearing replacement.

I won't deal with Tracy's again after that and I would advise that you not, either.

I might also add that because Bair's treated me so well, I had them do about $1500 worth of more work for me in addition to about $2000 in parts sales.

Customer service is everything these days!! An outfit that doesn't treat a customer fairly shouldn't get anybody's business.

dman535 10-18-2004 02:11 PM

Tracy's place certainly has had a darker reputation in the Metro Detroit area. I have always dealt with Dynamic Corvettes in Saginaw. Its a bit longer of a drive but the customer service is a lot better and the prices more resonable.

79 Midnight Blue L82 10-18-2004 04:08 PM

My experience with Tracy's was that they were very overpriced even for Corvette parts and customer service is very cold with them. I only bought from them once and would not go back. I had just bought my Vette and didn't know any better. I have since found out the the brackets I bought from Tracy were still available from the General and new would have cost me considerable less than Tracy.

robertmc48 10-18-2004 04:22 PM

I live just 2-3 miles from them. I've been there a couple of times. They have a lot of stuff there but, IMHO, the owner is a dick. I found him to be unpleasant to deal with....kind of a take it or leave it attitude. I once called on the phone , looking for a part, and was laughed at. I wouldn't do business with them unless they were the only company in the country that had what I needed.

User-C3 03-03-2017 01:47 PM

I want to bring this thread back. I recently went to this place after stumbling across their location through an ebay listing. figured it was relatively close to me and seemed to have a good amount of parts. This guy is by far the worst person I have ever dealt with. I wouldn't recommend anyone going to this place. He took me across the street to show me all his used hoods. I saw one I was interested in, mind you it was seriously damaged and needed tons of work. He gives me a price near what I can get a brand new L88 hood for. I made an offer of what I thought was fair and he started yelling at me. continually increasing his voice yelling and shouting at me for no reason. I just walked out. Couldn't even believe someone could have a business and treat customers like that.
STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY.

The13Bats 03-03-2017 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by User-C3 (Post 1594216881)
I want to bring this thread back. I recently went to this place after stumbling across their location through an ebay listing. figured it was relatively close to me and seemed to have a good amount of parts. This guy is by far the worst person I have ever dealt with. I wouldn't recommend anyone going to this place. He took me across the street to show me all his used hoods. I saw one I was interested in, mind you it was seriously damaged and needed tons of work. He gives me a price near what I can get a brand new L88 hood for. I made an offer of what I thought was fair and he started yelling at me. continually increasing his voice yelling and shouting at me for no reason. I just walked out. Couldn't even believe someone could have a business and treat customers like that.
STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY.

Its some weird corvette virus hits some people who go into the business, they are rude nasty belittling overbearing to people.
they think they know it all and their way is the only right way,
Like you experienced with the hood,
I called them like 20 years ago and the person on the phone was a jerk...enough fir me.

FKING1 03-03-2017 04:56 PM

I have bought a lot of parts for my C3 there simply because they are close & usually have what I want.
Their prices are high & Dennis can be difficult to deal with.
I don't take sh*** from him & give it right back.
Take your pick, it's your $$$.
As I am not in a hurry anymore go to other on-line vendors.

Rescue Rogers 03-04-2017 01:34 PM

thats all bad news, I was looking at getting a 327 crank from them. Maybe I'll keep looking