CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Baby Oil On Leather Seats (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/958352-baby-oil-on-leather-seats.html)

MEGALADON 11-29-2004 03:43 PM

Baby Oil On Leather Seats

I've been useing baby oil on my leather seats and they stay
like new and shiny all the time. It does not even stick to
your clothes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...n/IMG_0399.jpg

codestar7 11-29-2004 04:15 PM

Oil Up

Meg, ........Thats one beautifull pair of seats! I was gonna put some mink oil on mine but I don't know maby I'll try baby oil! :thumbs:

mooneyd 11-29-2004 05:00 PM

Aren't there conditioners made just for leather? I would think they would be better for the leather in the long run.

Larry B. 11-29-2004 05:07 PM

I use suntan oil (not lotion) with a High SPF number on all of my interior pieces and it works great and smells good too.. UV blockers really help.

Yellow73SB 11-29-2004 05:10 PM

Does it feel slimy?

Hitch 11-29-2004 08:24 PM

Something else just to add is a lot of people use Lemon Pledge on their leather seats...

UKPaul 11-30-2004 07:04 AM

Baby oil isn't just for babies.. :smiliedrool: :D

A couple of weeks back I was talking to a guy who sells leather jackets about the state of my expensive jacket that I'd bought in Daytona beach (which has a microscopic label inside saying "Made in Pakistan" :mad: ). This guy looked about 60 & has been selling leather jackets all his life. He told me not to bother with the expensive leather care products but to use either baby oil or womens skin moisturiser. As leather is effectively skin he reckoned that skin care products work well (but I'm not going to walk around smelling like a tarts handbag) & baby oil was excellent for the leather used in bike jackets. So now I see a post saying that baby oil is good on leather upholstery & am starting to wonder if I was wrong in thinking the guy was just an old perv :lol:
Baby oil is a nightmare to get out of clothes & hair, so isn't covering your seats in it a bit risky? Wont it get all over you when you sit on them? Doesn't it attract fluff & dust & anything else that's blowing on the wind? Not that I've ever had baby oil on my clothes or anything, it's just something I heard somewhere :leaving:
Not being a parent, what does baby oil actually do for babies (apart from waterproofing them)? Who ever came up with the idea in the 1st place, "Put the kettle on babe, I'm just nipping upstairs to oil the baby"?
:cheers:

Jughead 11-30-2004 08:18 AM

Don't know if I could tolerate the smell though. :(

Eddie 70 11-30-2004 08:29 AM

When I was younger, I remember my dad always kept baby oil on the seats in his boats. He would baby oil the dash and door panels in all of his cars. Never thought much about it but I have never put baby oil on any of my seats.

Graemeinvette 11-30-2004 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by UKPaul
(but I'm not going to walk around smelling like a tarts handbag)

Hey Paul when did that change!!!
Seriosly, does it absorb all the oil? Or do you just slide under those lap belts under hard braking? Hell I cant do smileys!! I am giving up!

G

Graemeinvette 11-30-2004 08:52 AM

*@//@%%%@*** I'll get that pic in my sig if it kills me!!

UKPaul 11-30-2004 10:18 AM

Hey Graeme, are you OK there, mate? You seem a bit annoyed :lol:

page62 11-30-2004 05:50 PM

Stick this between your IMG's:
http://www.mattinglis.com/albums/corvette/inglis_31.jpg

It's awfully big, though...
http://www.mattinglis.com/albums/corvette/inglis_31.jpg

Big Fish 11-30-2004 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Something else just to add is a lot of people use Lemon Pledge on their leather seats...

:iagree:

That's what Dale Robertson from Al Knoch told me to use, works great. It contains silicone which he says is good for the leather.

Double Aught 11-30-2004 08:19 PM

It seems everyone has their favorites. I have used Neetsfoot oil for a long time and I love it. It smells good and the leather absorbs it well. I have used mink oil on work boots and like it. I have also used a product called Pitch Blend Leather Dressing. It is a blend of Pine Pitch, Mink Oil and Beeswax. That is a bit more invovled, but I like that too.

BUGGSY1970 11-30-2004 08:21 PM

Pardon me while I rant.

If baby oil works, why not Vaseline, how about 10W40 motor oil or better yet Mobil 1.

If you use baby oil how do you keep from sliding off the seat in a turn?

What are you doing messing with cheap remedies for your expensive leather seats? There are a number of products made for and tested on leather that work fine. Sure they are not as cheap as baby oil but why take a chance with baby oil that could permanently damage the leather? Leather is tanned and chemically treated to get the finish it has. If your skin is the same I don't want to look.

I hope everyone used it on black leather because I will bet that it would change the color of some lighter hides. Hey I heard Comet is good for removing wax build up on your fenders.

UKPaul 12-01-2004 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Double Aught
It seems everyone has their favorites. I have used Neetsfoot oil for a long time and I love it.

That's what I've used since '78 on leather. It's good stuff, but you need to let it soak in otherwise it gets on everything that the leather touches. For the Vette's seats I use Autoglym car care products. Leather conditioner for the centre sections & vinyl cleaner for the side bolsters.
Graeme, that engine is looking lovely. Hope to see the rest of the car at the next Nationals?
:cheers:

MEGALADON 12-01-2004 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BUGGSY1970
Hey I heard Comet is good for removing wax build up on your fenders.

The best thing to use for that is WD-40 ;)

Hvymtlc5 12-01-2004 03:43 PM

Got to laugh, I used to use Comet when cleaning cars to sell them......cleaned the old paint very good!!

comp 12-01-2004 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hvymtlc5
Got to laugh, I used to use Comet when cleaning cars to sell them......cleaned the old paint very good!!

:willy: :willy: :willy: