Sponsored by:

inside door handles

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inside door handles

Has anyone ever swapped late model C3 door handles into an early C3. Getting kind of tired of the handle poking at my thigh. Not sure if the doors are the same, but judging by some of the photos in this forum, it's a lot cleaner look. My door panels are shot anyway, so was checking my options. Either looking at some custom panels or making model swaps. Looks like they mount further forward which is a plus. What year did they change the inside door handles?

Last edited by wrencher60; 08-27-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 08-27-2014, 03:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

The door mechanism is different on the 78-82's, but the basic door is the same for all 69-82 coupes. So the swap could be done, but it does require quite a few pieces.

The inner door is slightly different, but can be modified. Beyond that, you'd need the 78-82 door latch, inner door handles, all of the lock rods (except the one from the outside handle to the door latch), lock *****, door panels, arm rests and arm rests brackets. The window regulator and glass, are the same.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:48 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The door mechanism is different on the 78-82's, but the basic door is the same for all 69-82 coupes. So the swap could be done, but it does require quite a few pieces.

The inner door is slightly different, but can be modified. Beyond that, you'd need the 78-82 door latch, inner door handles, all of the lock rods (except the one from the outside handle to the door latch), lock *****, door panels, arm rests and arm rests brackets. The window regulator and glass, are the same.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't really like the arm rests, was going to omit them, and fab up some kind of door pull instead. Door latches, linkage, handles, lock *****, and panels. I'll start pricing this stuff out see if it's feasible.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I likely have alot of the items you need. I did the opposite, used an 80 door with 76 hardware. I actually "modified" the latch mechanism rather then replace it. It did not take much. I could explain if needed.

Let me know if you are interested in the parts. I can inventory everything and give pics if you want.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I likely have alot of the items you need. I did the opposite, used an 80 door with 76 hardware. I actually "modified" the latch mechanism rather then replace it. It did not take much. I could explain if needed.

Let me know if you are interested in the parts. I can inventory everything and give pics if you want.
I figured it wouldn't take much to modify the latch, or fab up some linkage. That's kind of funny, that you did the opposite. We could have just swapped parts,lol. Let's see what you have. Gonna be a little bit of time, before I start, but definitely need to get it going before the harsh Ca. winter starts. Gonna have to park the bike and drive the car when it gets a little wet out.

A little rough around the edges, but it is a fun driver. Sorry about the Ford in the background.

Last edited by wrencher60; 08-27-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 PM
wrencher60
Instructor

You didn't happen to take any pics of the inside of your door without the panel on did you?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher60
You didn't happen to take any pics of the inside of your door without the panel on did you?
Me?

I can...
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher60
Gonna be a little bit of time, before I start, but definitely need to get it going before the harsh Ca. winter starts. Gonna have to park the bike and drive the car when it gets a little wet out.

harsh cali weather you mean beach weather winter. lets hope we get some rain but not to much my wipers don't work to good.

the panels should fit perfectly but your gonna need a donor car to get all the hardware to do swap or completely take door with you or just put panels on and a push button in side for door poppers.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 AM
wrencher60
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Me?

I can...
I was just curious as to how much difference there is in how the 78 handles mount compared to the 68. I know 68's have a lot of 1 and done parts on them. Not sure if the 78 panels mount the same at the top as the 68. Don't want to pay 500.00 for a pair of panels if there is a lot of modifying to do to make them work.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 AM
wrencher60
Instructor

Originally Posted by 76CSRvette

harsh cali weather you mean beach weather winter. lets hope we get some rain but not to much my wipers don't work to good.

the panels should fit perfectly but your gonna need a donor car to get all the hardware to do swap or completely take door with you or just put panels on and a push button in side for door poppers.
I didn't even think about the door popper idea. That would be clean, and relatively easy to accomplish.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

or old school were you roll window down and open from outside

Get notified of new replies

To inside door handles

Quick Reply: inside door handles