C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should radiator hoses REALLY be replaced...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Should radiator hoses REALLY be replaced...?

I have a 2006 with 96000 miles. Its always garaged and has always been in Florida so its never seen freezing temperatures. I will be looking to sell it sometime in the next year.
I am in the process of putting in a new radiator right now and was thinking about replacing the hoses until someone suggested that since I'm down here, where its typically always warm, I am just throwing money away. I get the 'why not' concept but why bother if its not really necessary. Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ummmmmmm . . . .the ambient temperature of where you live crumbles in comparison to the heat and pressure the hoses endure in 96,000 miles and 9 years of driving, imho.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

there are almost 100,000 miles on lots of parts that are on your car...suspect it may be prudent to replace quite a few parts !

but, if you're selling the car, why throw away money ?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

how much do a couple hoses cost.May as well just replace em while its apart.you might get that back together and blow a hose 1 week later.

Last edited by wlean99; 08-27-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Kad2112
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts

When cold, squeeze the hoses. It they crumble from the inside and have cracks on the outside i would replace them. Otherwise they are probably ok.

I just replaced a radiator on my 2001expedition with 228k miles. Original hoses. When I squeezed them it was like the inside was lined with egg shells. I changed my antifreeze every 4 years, so I don't think it was neglected, but after 13 years they were due.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

All good information. The car has been carefully looked after and all the hoses and belts seem perfectly good to the touch and when viewed. But that's why I ask. I havent looked into what it would cost to replace the hoses (in general) but again, why bother if the consensus is I'm not on borrowed time. I havent held my cars this long before so I'm in unfamiliar territory... better to ask all of you than to guess...
Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

8 years and lots of heat cycles. I'd be tempted to change them. It's a lot easier and cheaper when it's a planned activity.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hoses

I have a 92 C-4 with 47k and change with original hoses they don't feel squishy still firm.

Originally Posted by webdzynes
I have a 2006 with 96000 miles. Its always garaged and has always been in Florida so its never seen freezing temperatures. I will be looking to sell it sometime in the next year.
I am in the process of putting in a new radiator right now and was thinking about replacing the hoses until someone suggested that since I'm down here, where its typically always warm, I am just throwing money away. I get the 'why not' concept but why bother if its not really necessary. Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by wlean99
how much do a couple hoses cost. May as well just replace 'em while its apart. You might get that back together and blow a hose 1 week later.
My reasoning follows the same line of thinking. They're probably $20 or $30 a piece so why not? They're made of rubber and certainly won't last for ever. It would be very inconvenient for one to fail many miles from home (or service) while on a road trip. I'm sure you wouldn't want to leave you car in the care of Bubba the tow truck driver.

Last edited by CorvetteSparky; 08-28-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Additional text
Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

If the car you were talking about was a 1965 Rambler where you could see the hoses and every other part in the engine bay because there was so much room, maybe you could forgo changing them to make sure you get 100% of your value out of them. After all, replacing them is easy, you can see them and you probably wouldn't be too worried should one develop a leak since the car would probably drive for 100 miles without liquid in the cooling system.
Unfortunately, we are talking about a car that would overheat when a trash bag covers a small part of the front facia. Replacing the hoses looks daunting when standing next to the car since you will be fighting the hood and a radiator buried under who knows what. If it were me, I would replace all the hoses and belts while they are easily accessible. One more thought, even though you can squeeze the hose and it feels good, the suction hose should have a spring inside to keep it from collapsing. That one shouldn't be able to be squeezed or the spring has rusted away. Finally, where the hoses meet the rad I would carefully examine the clamp areas which are also suspect after nearly 100K miles.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by webdzynes
Don't be "penny wise & pound foolish". The hoses have to come off anyway when you replace the radiator, so replace the hoses at the same time. Rock Auto has the upper hose for $14 & the lower hose for $24.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change them they're due since it's apart and you're in there check the belt also.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

I replaced my radiator 2.5 years ago. No problems with the hoses and I now have 109K on a car that used to be a daily driver. However, if I would have thought about it then, I would have replaced. Its cheap insurance to do it now to be sure they are new. Its better than having to go back and do replace them when it's not torn apart.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

If I were replacing the radiator, I would replace the hoses at the same time.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I have to ask, why are you replacing the radiator? The answer might change the opinion on hoses. But, in any case, hoses are inexpensive compared to the labor to replace them. The labor is almost zero while replacing a radiator so replace them and impress the prospective buyer next year at how well you maintained the car until they ask why did you have to replace the radiator?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree w. above fr. Ft. Morgan re the reason for replacing radiator as it might impact the need for hoses.

And in the rationale of selling a car soon, you can never guess exactly what will be the "tipping point" in a decision to buy your car compared to another car. Someone who demonstrates they went a little further in maintenance than others---that could make the difference. Not only in the actual sale of the car but maybe the price asked or paid. And when it's all apart, it's not a $2K trans or $6K engine---it's the price of a couple/three hoses.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I agree w. above fr. Ft. Morgan re the reason for replacing radiator as it might impact the need for hoses.

And in the rationale of selling a car soon, you can never guess exactly what will be the "tipping point" in a decision to buy your car compared to another car. Someone who demonstrates they went a little further in maintenance than others---that could make the difference. Not only in the actual sale of the car but maybe the price asked or paid. And when it's all apart, it's not a $2K trans or $6K engine---it's the price of a couple/three hoses.

Get notified of new replies

To Should radiator hoses REALLY be replaced...?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,911 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It just seems silly to not change the hoses when you change the radiator. Cost is low and labor is almost nil.

Where you having cooling problems? Radiator leaking or just not cooling well? Asking cause mine is struggling this summer and I am debating on trying to clean it or replace it. I am at 134,000 miles.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you have it apart anyway, replace them.
Will also a good selling point if you do put the car up for sale.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

It's time to change and the fact that you are changing the radiator anyway should make it a no brainer. Just like tire rubber, age is a factor. The hoses are not that expensive and as an op mentioned...how would you feel if a hose failed two weeks after you put the radiator in and had to go through that hassle. Or you can roll the dice and save a few bucks. I would put new hoses on.

Quick Reply: Should radiator hoses REALLY be replaced...?