C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car overheated today..help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Wicked99
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default car overheated today..help

I just bought a 2007 coupe with a A&A supercharger, auto with 3200 stall converter. ..
It overheated today got to 256 deg. How would I check to see if the cooling fan is working? Fuses are good. Radiator is clean. Coolant boiled over.....would the motor be messed up? Or am I over thinking it...or should I be looking to rebuild a motor.

Thanks for the help, eric

Last edited by Wicked99; 09-22-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Start with the easy stuff, like the fan, and hope that's all it is.

With your mods I suggest you go over to the C6 Forced Induction Forum and talk to those guys to help troubleshoot.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:48 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Wicked99
I just bought a 2007 coupe with a A&A supercharger, auto with 3200 stall converter. ..
It overheated today got to 256 deg. How would I check to see if the cooling fan is working? Fuses are good. Radiator is clean. Coolant boiled over.....would the motor be messed up? Or am I over thinking it...or should I be looking to rebuild a motor.

Thanks for the help, eric
I agree start with the small, I too have a supercharged 05 I bought in dec with 40,000 miles. I am currently rebuilding the motor now after putting just 7000 miles on it. the enigine oil temps were reaching near 300, coolant temps were normal. I knew something was wrong when oil pressure dropped. get it checked out sooner then later, your engine is just like your health the sooner u get it diagnosed the less damage u will do. also I took mine to the dealer they let the car run for awhile an watched the oil pressure gage then told me hat I already knew an charged me 130 for that so stay away from them.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Wicked99
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the problem. .fan was jammed and not moving. Everything seems to be cooling well now...just wondering what the chances of damage to the motor being at this point.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:00 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked99
Found the problem. .fan was jammed and not moving. Everything seems to be cooling well now...just wondering what the chances of damage to the motor being at this point.
Your engine simply hit 256 and overheated (due to fan issue per above)....it's not like it spun a bearing or something major. Check coolant level, add if needed and carry on.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:06 AM
dlind4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it got hot enough to damage the engine but I would change the oil. Good insurance imo. If the motor is running strong and you don't notice any thing odd then i wouldn't worry too much.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
I agree start with the small, I too have a supercharged 05 I bought in dec with 40,000 miles. I am currently rebuilding the motor now after putting just 7000 miles on it. the enigine oil temps were reaching near 300, coolant temps were normal. I knew something was wrong when oil pressure dropped. get it checked out sooner then later, your engine is just like your health the sooner u get it diagnosed the less damage u will do. also I took mine to the dealer they let the car run for awhile an watched the oil pressure gage then told me hat I already knew an charged me 130 for that so stay away from them.
so what was the issue that caused the excessive heat?

Get notified of new replies

To car overheated today..help

Quick Reply: car overheated today..help