C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
No not officially No one including Ford Dodge or GM will ever admit failures directly--LOL But info has leaked out and tests have been done by independent companies-- results can be found online if you look hard enough---
I think R&T smoked a motor during a track comparo, and GM blamed it on "contaminated oil".
Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

As mentioned the only engine failures I've read about have come from broken rods or spun thrust bearings---and as it worked out these were NOT caused by bad engine parts but from overheating A6 tramsmissions which take out the thrust bearings--GM is tryning to address the overheating trannys with adding another trans cooler which seems to be the delay on the new Z06 8 speed auto----
Pure BS, every bit of the above. The engine/torque tube/transmission case are aluminum while the rotating crankshaft/driveshaft/torque converter are steel...since the coefficient of thermal expansion is different between aluminum and steel, GM used splined connections in the driveshaft. I know it's hard to believe a GM engineer could actually think of something so complicated. Overheating is not the cause of the delay for the Z06 A8, that was solved long ago...in the future, please research your posts to avoid causing damage to your integrity when you post BS.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Pure BS, every bit of the above. The engine/torque tube/transmission case are aluminum while the rotating crankshaft/driveshaft/torque converter are steel...since the coefficient of thermal expansion is different between aluminum and steel, GM used splined connections in the driveshaft. I know it's hard to believe a GM engineer could actually think of something so complicated. Overheating is not the cause of the delay for the Z06 A8, that was solved long ago...in the future, please research your posts to avoid causing damage to your integrity when you post BS.
far too late for that.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
ls motors had the same situation with the factory valve jobs.....every engine builder I have talked to has said, even if you don't want to port the heads, we still want to go through them based on the last 10 years of our experience with the LS motors.

it's not something that affects everyone all the time, but if you want it to be right, then you have to do it.
Don't know where you got that only the ls-7 head had issues the rest
were fine. My ownership of (2)ls1, (1) ls3 (1) Ls6 (2) ls-7 and (1) ls9
gave me no issues. I think the large engine shop's say the same thing!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Don't know where you got that only the ls-7 head had issues the rest
were fine. My ownership of (2)ls1, (1) ls3 (1) Ls6 (2) ls-7 and (1) ls9
gave me no issues. I think the large engine shop's say the same thing!
RocknBlue08/3 Z06ZR1, It's a common mistake to think you, as an individual, are representative of a large population. You owned 7 cars out of 501,135 Corvettes made since the LS engine came out.

Because I like car tire flavored ice cream must mean everyone does, right? Not quite.

I assume you pulled your car into your garage and removed the heads to check the valves on each car?

Are you certain you would perceive a valve seat issue on your car? Do you know what to look for? Do you know how it affects engine running characteristics? If there were any issues, how would you, personally, identify them?

Can you say with 100% certainty that none of your cars had an issue or can you only say you didn't perceive an issue with any of your cars and that the only thing you noticed was that they didn't fall apart?

Please elaborate on your post outside of the realm of speculation.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
RocknBlue08/3 Z06ZR1, It's a common mistake to think you, as an individual, are representative of a large population. You owned 7 cars out of 501,135 Corvettes made since the LS engine came out.

Because I like car tire flavored ice cream must mean everyone does, right? Not quite.

I assume you pulled your car into your garage and removed the heads to check the valves on each car?

Are you certain you would perceive a valve seat issue on your car? Do you know what to look for? Do you know how it affects engine running characteristics? If there were any issues, how would you, personally, identify them?

Can you say with 100% certainty that none of your cars had an issue or can you only say you didn't perceive an issue with any of your cars and that the only thing you noticed was that they didn't fall apart?

Please elaborate on your post outside of the realm of speculation.
Oh since some builder said. Makes it the gospel.

Since the forum has a million posts much bigger sample than 1 mechnic with little to no head problems. On the Stock LS
engines minus the small number of Ls7's can't include ones going to stainless just because.

Off base again! 501,000 engineS and very small NUMBERS OF ISSUES WITH THE HEADS!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Oh since some builder said. Makes it the gospel.

Since the forum has a million posts much bigger sample than 1 mechnic with little to no head problems. On the Stock LS
engines minus the small number of Ls7's can't include ones going to stainless just because.

Off base again! 501,000 engineS and very small NUMBERS OF ISSUES WITH THE HEADS!
you really should stop posting about things you don't understand.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:57 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The overheating A6 issue is from the experience in my own car---Even on a cool day the trans will go to 230* driving only intown--Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that is simply too HOT--I can only imagine the temps on a track day A6 --I've read posts on the internet where OWNERS complain of failing trannys after a race
As far as the A8 is concerned again there are no added tranny coolers for a 640 HP engine--So common sense will tell you those trannys will get even hotter--
Speaking to my dealer as of Oct 20th they still haven't realeased the Z06 for sales yet-
Even though they have presold and continue selling them---So ask yourself WHY ??
If it's NOT the engine then it has to be the trans--- If it were a minor issue they would have corrected it by now and made deliveries---My dealer tells me it's on hold for trans cooling ( off the record as we are good friends)-- So believe what ever you choose
I really don't care--I am not concerned with the issues as a Corvette lifelong lover-I have faith that GM will resolve the issue soon---And I will most likely order a Z06 in 2016
If you think I'm slamming the C7 you can't read my post---I love this car overheating trans or whatever----As I said I installed an aftermarket trans cooler and the tranny now runs 175* Any new release of a new platform may have issues in any brand-Sometimes you just have to be pro-active and quit belly aching and accept
the whole car as an innovation and overlook new model pains--
Old 10-25-2014, 02:28 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

---My dealer tells me it's on hold for trans cooling ( off the record as we are good friends)-- So believe what ever you choose--
Amazing...given the chance to improve your integrity, you quote the one place that has the least integrity of anybody. You have succeeded in lowering your integrity to zero...good job!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 AM
midnightbluS10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Don’t think there are any significant LT1 engine issues out there.

Don’t want to risk reduced engine life? Don’t supercharge/turbocharge. The ZO6 LT4 has significant durability upgrades to cope with the additional stress of supercharging. Think the factory engineers know what they’re doing.

So, if you go with forced induction you loose the warranty and should not complain if things don’t go well. Don
Loose the warranty?

You mean LOSE the warranty. One "O".

Loose-not tight

Lose-to be deprived of or cease to have or retain.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Loose the warranty?

You mean LOSE the warranty. One "O".

Loose-not tight

Lose-to be deprived of or cease to have or retain.
You find a post over two weeks old and find one spelling error that could've been a slip of the finger or just a mental error...you have issues, the term "Spelling ****" fits you perfectly.

BTW, your post has multiple punctuation errors proving you're not perfect either.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Pure BS, every bit of the above. The engine/torque tube/transmission case are aluminum while the rotating crankshaft/driveshaft/torque converter are steel..
And here I thought the torque tube on the non-ZO6 was steel and carbon fiber on the Z
Old 10-27-2014, 05:22 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KenHorse
And here I thought the torque tube on the non-ZO6 was steel and carbon fiber on the Z
You are of course right, I was thinking about the C6 and forgot about the change to steel on the C7 because of cylinder deactivation...thanks for the correction.

However, the meaning of my post is not affected, GM provided a means for thermal growth differences.

Quick Reply: C7 engine