C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So tomorrow I go to my first track day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Coolness
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts

Default So tomorrow I go to my first track day...

Any advice on what I should do in prep? My car is stock. I have ensured it has a fresh oil change, checked all fluids/brakes/tires, etc. Other than just having a blast, what other things come to mind from vets on the forum who have done this before?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Don't be nervous, you'll start off at a very easy pace and go from there at your own speed. Wear comfortable loose fitting clothes, and a pair of shoes that allow you to work the pedals, especially if you'll be heel and toeing a manual. Don't forget a good pair of sunglasses. Stay hydrated. Expect some significant tire wear.

If you reach a point where you seem to experience sensory overload and things seem to be happening too fast, you are probably trying too hard. Slow down a bit, concentrate on looking way ahead to the next turn in point. Be smooth, and avoid violent control inputs. You will learn how to feel the weight transfer around the car, and how to use that to your advantage. Don't worry about faster guys passing you, they had faster guys pass them too.

But most of all, just have fun, neighbor!

Garry
Gilbert, AZ
Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Get a good night sleep and leave your ego at home. Then be prepared for a good adrenalin rush, which can be very addicting. Enjoy
Old 10-31-2014, 12:15 PM
blizz81
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you come back into the paddock from a run, don't engage your e-brake.

If you have a torque wrench, bring it and check your lugnuts after a run.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck and enjoy Coolness......
Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Coolness
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
Don't be nervous, you'll start off at a very easy pace and go from there at your own speed. Wear comfortable loose fitting clothes, and a pair of shoes that allow you to work the pedals, especially if you'll be heel and toeing a manual. Don't forget a good pair of sunglasses. Stay hydrated. Expect some significant tire wear.

If you reach a point where you seem to experience sensory overload and things seem to be happening too fast, you are probably trying too hard. Slow down a bit, concentrate on looking way ahead to the next turn in point. Be smooth, and avoid violent control inputs. You will learn how to feel the weight transfer around the car, and how to use that to your advantage. Don't worry about faster guys passing you, they had faster guys pass them too.

But most of all, just have fun, neighbor!

Garry
Gilbert, AZ
Thanks neighbor! This is great advice. On the one hand I have experience with Karts, but this is my Corvette so definitely nervous! Slow and measured increases in speed are going to be the rule of my day tomorrow!

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Get a good night sleep and leave your ego at home. Then be prepared for a good adrenalin rush, which can be very addicting. Enjoy
I can't wait! I feel like this will be a first of many outings!!

Originally Posted by blizz81
When you come back into the paddock from a run, don't engage your e-brake.
If you have a torque wrench, bring it and check your lugnuts after a run.
Good point, never thought about that. How long do you think the brakes need to cool down for the drive home? I will throw the torque wrench in the Vette now!

As always, this is the best forum. Thanks all!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolness
How long do you think the brakes need to cool down for the drive home?
You won't really have to wait, you can drive home when you're ready. The brakes will cool better with the car moving anyway. Remember that when you pull off the track during the day, don't sit there with your foot on the brake. This can cause warped rotors. Stop the car, and take your foot off the brakes.

By the way, which track?

Garry
Old 10-31-2014, 01:20 PM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful driving home, its very easy to revert back to track speeds on the run home, and many cops hang out around tracks looking for easy tickets.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Firebird? That's a fun track.

Drink lots of water!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Remember there are a lot of skill levels out there and set the car up per the owners manual and have a good time. And what the others said.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:33 PM
blizz81
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Ames
Remember there are a lot of skill levels out there and set the car up per the owners manual and have a good time. And what the others said.

That's a good point re: adding the extra (I believe) quart of oil if applicable.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Leaving the ego at home is good advice. Smooth, go at your own pace, with the different skill levels out there, don't try to keep up with someone who has done this 100 times. I've only had mine to the track one time and found myself in that position. Instructor said he would do about 65MPH on our 1st set of laps......I found myself doing over 100MPH just trying to keep up! And try to get that grin off your face before you get home, the wife may think you were somewhere else.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you a wonderful track day. When you get home, consider changing brake, power steering, and trans fluids. They will get a workout when on the track and fresh fluids always prolong the life of your car.
Have fun and stay safe.
Glen
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Get some comfy padded knee pads. Check your tire pressure after each run although these low profile tires shouldn't need any refilling. Have fun!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Make sure your brake fluid is FRESH. Not just "good" but FRESH. Brake fluid sucks in moisture and that reduces its effectiveness, and eventually will boil.

I boiled the brake fluid on my C4 and had no brakes coming into a corner at 100mph with a car in front of me. I was lucky to have a nice big runoff area and managed to get the car off course safely.

IMO, if your fluid is more than a year or two old, flush it before you go. I'm a big fan of Valvoline's synthetic fluid, it works well and is inexpensive and widely available.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:44 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Make sure your brake fluid is FRESH. Not just "good" but FRESH. Brake fluid sucks in moisture and that reduces its effectiveness, and eventually will boil.

I boiled the brake fluid on my C4 and had no brakes coming into a corner at 100mph with a car in front of me. I was lucky to have a nice big runoff area and managed to get the car off course safely.

IMO, if your fluid is more than a year or two old, flush it before you go. I'm a big fan of Valvoline's synthetic fluid, it works well and is inexpensive and widely available.
Many clubs require the fluid to be less than 90 days old. Ate Typ 200 is decent fluid. Others use Motul, Castrol SRF, etc. Don't skimp on brakes.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

So how did it go?

Get notified of new replies

To So tomorrow I go to my first track day...

Old 11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
So how did it go?
1st time? my bet, unless a vet at the track did something for him, was spun a lot... some 2.4 2.5 or worse 60's and or missed 2-3 shifts. cars with this much power and these tires unless track is prepped for dragsters makes for a nightmare, especially first time out...

nothing to be embarrassed about. we've all been there at some point. key is to learn and retain...
Old 11-02-2014, 02:30 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I'm assuming it was road track.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,448 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
1st time? my bet, unless a vet at the track did something for him, was spun a lot... some 2.4 2.5 or worse 60's and or missed 2-3 shifts. cars with this much power and these tires unless track is prepped for dragsters makes for a nightmare, especially first time out...

nothing to be embarrassed about. we've all been there at some point. key is to learn and retain...
Pretty sure he was on a real track, not a drag strip.

Quick Reply: So tomorrow I go to my first track day...