Sponsored by:

Red Light Cams - 1 for us

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

The law requires that you operate your vehicle in such a fashion that you are in control of that vehicle at all times - - whether that's speed not prudent for conditions, changing lanes without a signal or following too closely.

If there vehicle in front of you stops- for whatever reason- you are expected to adjust your speed, following distance and braking to be able to stop without hitting it- period- no exceptions for weather, distractions or why that driver slowed or stopped.

There can be an animal in the road, debris or a pedestrian that started out into the intersection - - so the argument that someone stopped too quickly, you thought he was going to proceed through the light and you hit him simply doesn't fly.

And as an aside, there is no 'double jeopardy' in a traffic event.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

You can fault the drivers all you want, but wishing they were better won't get you a better reality . The reality in my area is that accidents went up, increasing the overall danger.
Turns out the camera had no way to make people better drivers, it just triggered them to do their thing more often.

I agree it is not the camera's fault that people drive the way they do, but I also realize they are not going to improve because of a camera. The camera triggers the danger, at least in my town, so they were turned off.

Applying reality to a situation is the only way to improve it. Blaming bad drivers for doing what they do won't effect a change in outcome. When my blood is on the line, I care about results, not concerns over fault.

I don't use hand signals anymore, although they are legal and people should recognize them as part of their driving knowledge.

The reality is that my arm would be snapped off in short order. True , it would be a very bad driver at fault, but that wouldn't really help my arm much. so I accept the reality that poor drivers are out there and it is best to not screw with them, they are probably at the limits of their ability , and if you ask for more, you will soon be disappointed and probably looking for a body repair shop.

( hand signals are from the old days, arm straight out the window is a left turn signal, down signals stop, bent at the elbow hand up, signals tight turn. Handy if your signal lights went out, or your car is so old it doesn't have that stuff. ) Now as obsolete as signal flags.

I forgot to add, most insurance companies figure a regular rear end collision at 80 / 20 , placing some responsibility on the car in front.

Last edited by strand rider; 10-30-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:31 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

That's the first time I ever heard of that. You hit someone in the rear. it's your fault. How was the front car at fault, for being there allowing you to hit him?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:40 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by mrlmd
That's the first time I ever heard of that. You hit someone in the rear. it's your fault. How was the front car at fault, for being there allowing you to hit him?
your fault for not maintaining a safe enough distance to control your vehicle. been around for decades.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by mrr23
your fault for not maintaining a safe enough distance to control your vehicle. been around for decades.
Failure to reduce speed to avoid collision is the terminology.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Back for a minute or two on OP's case in FL. -

The 4th District Court of Appeals phrased it like this:

"The city is not authorized to delegate police powers by entering into a contract that allows a private vendor to screen data and decide whether a violation has occurred before sending that data to a traffic infraction enforcement officer to use as a basis for authorizing a citation."

The court went further and said...

"Dismissal of the citation is the appropriate remedy where a private third party effectively decides whether a traffic violation has occurred and a traffic citation should be issued."
Old 10-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
So people stop at the red light to avoid a ticket and someone runs into the back of them? And you blame that on the camera?

Drivers are getting worse all the time. If its not texting while driving , its speeding, being overly aggressive and wreckless. I think many of the car commercials and movies and TV may have something to do with it.
Thinking the same. I believe it works because when you know it's there you won't be overly speeding or tailgating. Here we now also have radar cameras at school zones everyone is freaking but your suppose to go slow in a school zone.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Huh? He's asking why the car in FRONT is 20% at fault. What decades old law are you talking about?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:38 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFC5
Red Light cameras cost more to operate and install than the money there generating in tickets, Out here in CA a lot of the cities that installed them are turning them off. I have been ticked twice by the cameras in LA and have beat both tickets. Both times i'm sitting past crosswalk in the intersection due to heavy traffic, The light turns red and it snaps my picture.

That's not the way the system works. The sensors imbedded in the roadway detect motion after the light has turned red. If you were stopped, as you claim, the camera should not have taken the photo.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Guess you no longer have the right to face your accuser in court.
This is one of my big reasons of being against them.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 PM
FLZapped
Racer

And you believe this actually happens? Yellow lights have a 3 second minimum. If they are set for a shorter period than it is a criminal act and someone should go to jail.
http://blog.motorists.org/6-cities-t...es-for-profit/

Yeah, looks like it does happen. 3 seconds isn't necessarily long enough. There is a formula that is used to determine the appropriate length.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 PM
FLZapped
Racer

Originally Posted by Merlin02
That's not the way the system works. The sensors imbedded in the roadway detect motion after the light has turned red. If you were stopped, as you claim, the camera should not have taken the photo.

*should*

We have a camera at 441 and Atlantic Blvd. that takes pictures of people obeying the law all the time.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 PM
FLZapped
Racer

If these cities were really concerned about making the road safer, they would do what some cities have done instead of red light cameras, which is to make all lights red for one second during the transition.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

And you believe this actually happens? Yellow lights have a 3 second minimum. If they are set for a shorter period than it is a criminal act and someone should go to jail.
Where do people come up with this nonsense?
That claim is 100% BS
Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

We have a few cameras that will trigger and flash even if the vehicle is under a yellow, it's just more gravy for the city if they can dupe the car owner into thinking he accidentally ran the red light(which they clearly haven't) and have them mail the fine in. If they contest it....the city says OK, and drop it. But I've seen it dozens of times flash unsuspecting car owners....

It's a city road tax, cleverly designed to mimic public safety concerns plain and simple. Hats off to the politicians(not a smidgen of corruption) who only have public safety in mind when they contract with the private corporations to shackle the pocketbooks of it's citizenry.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

There are many misconceptions about red light cameras out there and in here. A flash does not mean a tickets is issued. The flashes go off almost all the time as part of self diagnostics as well as triggering. The photo (in most cases but not all) are backed by video. The photos and video are then reviewed by people (nothing is automated) and violation is determined by the review. Yes, it does violate the drivers right to face his accusers but only if they pay the citation. You always have the right to request a trial. Are red light cameras just for revenue? Maybe they are but the system isn't nearly as flawed or sinister as you people think it is

I challenge any of the delusional people out there to show proof that there is a pattern of red light tickets being issued under what was clearly a yellow light. You cant do it.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:14 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Huh? He's asking why the car in FRONT is 20% at fault. What decades old law are you talking about?
I stand corrected. The person in the rear automatically being at fault isn't a "law", but been around for decades.

Get notified of new replies

To Red Light Cams - 1 for us

Old 11-01-2014, 12:17 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Failure to reduce speed to avoid collision is the terminology.
You can use whatever terminology you want. Failure to maintain a safe distance to avoid a collision is the proper terminology. Your terminology suggests the person in the rear did nothing to slow down.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:15 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

You can use whatever terminology you want. Failure to maintain a safe distance to avoid a collision is the proper terminology. Your terminology suggests the person in the rear did nothing to slow down.
When I was on the job, the short-hand expression was "ACDA" - - -failure to maintain an "assured clear distance ahead" - -in other words, following too closely and unable to stop in time to avoid a collision with the vehicle ahead.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:48 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CQRT
When I was on the job, the short-hand expression was "ACDA" - - -failure to maintain an "assured clear distance ahead" - -in other words, following too closely and unable to stop in time to avoid a collision with the vehicle ahead.
Works for me.

Quick Reply: Red Light Cams - 1 for us