C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo - Got CMR Tuned today, went to track tonight. Problems..

Old 10-31-2014, 01:05 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Diablo - Got CMR Tuned today, went to track tonight. Problems..

So I took my car to a Diablosport CMR tuner today to get tuned now that I have this stage of mods done. The tune came in a bit lower than what I expected but the tuner said his dyno read a bit lower than others (and it is a DynoJet). I was expecting to pull about 440HP and 450TQ. I ended up coming in around 430HP and 436TQ (see below, SAE corrected). After we got it tuned I took it to the Bradenton/Desoto 1/4 mile track and did about 7 passes, all of which sucked. a couple passes I did not hook up at all, and others hooked up kinda good, but just seemed to run really slow so all 7 were disappointing. On top of that, my car is acting a bit funny. Before I explain, let me list everything out.

Here are my mods:

-ARH Headers , 1 7/8" with catted X pipe
-NPP exhaust
-Halltech Stinger intake
-Weapon X ported throttle body
-Diablo custom tune

Here are the weird problems I ran into tonight:

Problem 1
Twice, while launching, The car bogged a bit off the line even when I had the RPM's up past 4,000. Then after it bogged, it COMPLETELY cut out and acted like a dead pedal while it was already floored. then about 1 second later it acted like I floored it from a stop and came back to life. Mind you I had it floor since the launch. This was with all traction control and stability controls turned off (in track mode, held light till them both turned off). While trying to launch in Competitive mode with launch control, this issue did not present itself, only when all the nannies were disabled. My tuner was at the track with me as they were testing another customers car and I talked to him about it. He advised that it seems like I may be hitting some type of an abusive cutoff in the torque table, and he said he would look at the tune again tomorrow to see if he can figure out what it is. Either way, we don't know what is causing this weird drop out. The tuner advised that the is likely due to something needing to be adjusted in the tune that the Diablo software just can't adjust since it has only about 10% of the adjustable parameters that HP tuner has according to the tuner. I'm not sure where to go with this. Anyone else run into this or can help point me in the right direction?

Problem 2
While doing one of the runs, my car threw a CEL light. Code was P0503, Vehicle Speed Sensor A: Intermittent/Erratic/High

Not sure if possibly some bad wheel hop may have caused something to get jostled around or what, but I cleared the code for the ride back home (about 100 mi) and it did not come back so far.

Problem 3
Even though we explicitly did NOT delete DOD in my tune, it for some reason will not engage anymore. Tuner thinks that there is something that he adjusted that may not have been labeled properly so he said he may contact Diablo about that to see if they can narrow down what it is. Anyone else run into this?

Something else to point out
It appears that two of the times I ran, I was able to get partially ok launches from what everyone saw, but the times on the slips really seem to be slow as crap for what I have done to my car. Most C7's seem to be running between 11.6 - 12.2 bone stock. With all my mods I couldn't do better than a 12.299 and a 12.378 (see below). What am I missing here? Am I just that terrible at driving/launching or is something maybe amiss with my tune or mods? or does this track just really suck?

Track info (weather stats for tonight pulled from airdensityonline)
Bradenton Motorsports Park 1/4 mile
temperature = 74.0 deg f
relative humidity = 85 %
uncorrected barometer* = 29.83 Hg
corrected barometer* = 29.89 Hg
density altitude = 1841.60 ft
dew point = 69.1 deg f
saturation pressure = 0.847 Hg
vapor pressure = 0.720 Hg
grains = 107.6
air density (w/o water vapor) = 97
air density (w water vapor) = 95

thanks guys

Ant
Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 AM
EdmondC7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI
I cant help you for your problem but i have also some parts like you

mods:
arh mid length headers w cats
afe power intake pro 5r
diablosport tune by diablewtune

I also was on a dynojet and my car makes 468HP
the car goes very well but i have expected to have 490HP

So that means for me my car had never 466hp , i think my car had stock 420hp

am i thinking right?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 AM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
So I took my car to a Diablosport CMR tuner today to get tuned now that I have this stage of mods done. The tune came in a bit lower than what I expected but the tuner said his dyno read a bit lower than others (and it is a DynoJet). I was expecting to pull about 440HP and 450TQ. I ended up coming in around 430HP and 436TQ (see below, SAE corrected). After we got it tuned I took it to the Bradenton/Desoto 1/4 mile track and did about 7 passes, all of which sucked. a couple passes I did not hook up at all, and others hooked up kinda good, but just seemed to run really slow so all 7 were disappointing. On top of that, my car is acting a bit funny. Before I explain, let me list everything out.

Here are my mods:

-ARH Headers , 1 7/8" with catted X pipe
-NPP exhaust
-Halltech Stinger intake
-Weapon X ported throttle body
-Diablo custom tune

Here are the weird problems I ran into tonight:

Problem 1
Twice, while launching, The car bogged a bit off the line even when I had the RPM's up past 4,000. Then after it bogged, it COMPLETELY cut out and acted like a dead pedal while it was already floored. then about 1 second later it acted like I floored it from a stop and came back to life. Mind you I had it floor since the launch. This was with all traction control and stability controls turned off (in track mode, held light till them both turned off). While trying to launch in Competitive mode with launch control, this issue did not present itself, only when all the nannies were disabled. My tuner was at the track with me as they were testing another customers car and I talked to him about it. He advised that it seems like I may be hitting some type of an abusive cutoff in the torque table, and he said he would look at the tune again tomorrow to see if he can figure out what it is. Either way, we don't know what is causing this weird drop out. The tuner advised that the is likely due to something needing to be adjusted in the tune that the Diablo software just can't adjust since it has only about 10% of the adjustable parameters that HP tuner has according to the tuner. I'm not sure where to go with this. Anyone else run into this or can help point me in the right direction?

Problem 2
While doing one of the runs, my car threw a CEL light. Code was P0503, Vehicle Speed Sensor A: Intermittent/Erratic/High

Not sure if possibly some bad wheel hop may have caused something to get jostled around or what, but I cleared the code for the ride back home (about 100 mi) and it did not come back so far.

Problem 3
Even though we explicitly did NOT delete DOD in my tune, it for some reason will not engage anymore. Tuner thinks that there is something that he adjusted that may not have been labeled properly so he said he may contact Diablo about that to see if they can narrow down what it is. Anyone else run into this?

Something else to point out
It appears that two of the times I ran, I was able to get partially ok launches from what everyone saw, but the times on the slips really seem to be slow as crap for what I have done to my car. Most C7's seem to be running between 11.6 - 12.2 bone stock. With all my mods I couldn't do better than a 12.299 and a 12.378 (see below). What am I missing here? Am I just that terrible at driving/launching or is something maybe amiss with my tune or mods? or does this track just really suck?

Track info (weather stats for tonight pulled from airdensityonline)
Bradenton Motorsports Park 1/4 mile
temperature = 74.0 deg f
relative humidity = 85 %
uncorrected barometer* = 29.83 Hg
corrected barometer* = 29.89 Hg
density altitude = 1841.60 ft
dew point = 69.1 deg f
saturation pressure = 0.847 Hg
vapor pressure = 0.720 Hg
grains = 107.6
air density (w/o water vapor) = 97
air density (w water vapor) = 95

thanks guys

Ant
I have not used CMR but if i were you i would call Mikel at diablosports and ask him to get you to who ever does there tuning and have them look at your logs. Im positive they can straighten out your issues
Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

How does it feel?

Your 60' times are pretty terrible, the guys with autos going high 11's are seeing 1.7 or so 60' times.
A 1.7 60' on either of those passes would have been an easy 11.50 pass.

Have the tuner send the files over and we'll check out the DoD stuff as well.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

A quick note...while there may be many more params available in some other software suites, everything you need to tune the car is present in cmr, and if one of our tuners finds something they feel they need to get added, all they have to do is ask

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by EdmondC7
HI
I cant help you for your problem but i have also some parts like you

mods:
arh mid length headers w cats
afe power intake pro 5r
diablosport tune by diablewtune

I also was on a dynojet and my car makes 468HP
the car goes very well but i have expected to have 490HP

So that means for me my car had never 466hp , i think my car had stock 420hp

am i thinking right?
I believe you are confusing the amount of horsepower at the engine crank vs the amount of horsepower the wheels put to the ground (what you see from a dyno run). Your car should have 460 or so HP at the crank, now subtract approx 15% for transmission loss. So stock, these cars should be putting down approx 390HP /390TQ. If you are at 468 then that means you netted about 75HP on your car with those mods which sounds too good to be true. I would think your numbers are not SAE corrected. If thry are, then you got a kick a$$ tune and a strong motor!

Originally Posted by jyounger74
I have not used CMR but if i were you i would call Mike at diablosports and ask him to get you to who ever does there tuning and have them look at your logs. Im positive they can straighten out your issues
I was thinking that but don't know if they can help because they don't directly tune for customers. The CMR tuners are authorized Diablosport tuners that Mike would refer us to..
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
How does it feel?

Your 60' times are pretty terrible, the guys with autos going high 11's are seeing 1.7 or so 60' times.

Thanks
A quick note...while there may be many more params available in some other software suites, everything you need to tune the car is present in cmr, and if one of our tuners finds something they feel they need to get added, all they have to do is ask

Thanks
Thanks for the reply Mike! Do you need the file from the tuner or can I just send you the files I have in my 'tunes' folder? Maybe I can give you a call and shed some more light on the experience as there were a few params he changes but did not stick due to what he said was probably a limitation of CMR..
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

disabling cat over temp will disable DoD
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Thanks
How does it feel?

Thanks
Oh, and it feels pretty strong up top, but there are real problems launching.

I am not new to the track so pulling 2.1 60's was crushing for me. I went to the track with 11.50 expectations. Not 12.3. Lol
Old 10-31-2014, 09:22 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
That was probably it then. He did say he disabled the cat over temp to prevent it from interferring and cutting something out if the cats got hot..
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the reply Mike! Do you need the file from the tuner or can I just send you the files I have in my 'tunes' folder? Maybe I can give you a call and shed some more light on the experience as there were a few params he changes but did not stick due to what he said was probably a limitation of CMR..
You can send them, but I'd like to have the tuner contact us to make sure we address any concerns he make have.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

You can send them, but I'd like to have the tuner contact us to make sure we address any concerns he make have.
ok cool. I will send them over along with a recorded data-log I pulled on one of the runs. I'll make sure to let my tuner know to also contact you guys directly. Should I send the email with the tune files directly to you?

thanks

Ant
Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Sure, send it right to me.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

ok sent. Thank you! I should also note that the datalog I sent over was done on my last run where I used competitive mode launch control so the weird launch issue with the throttle cutout did not really happen on that run. It only happens when I have all the traction control nannies turned off.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

I sent you a new file to try
Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Awesome! I will go load it now and take her out for a few test runs and report back. Thanks Mike!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:18 AM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome! I will go load it now and take her out for a few test runs and report back. Thanks Mike!!!

Keep us posted inquring minds want to know how you make out. This is what i love about diablosport SUPER CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!! CAN I GET A HELL YEAH

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo - Got CMR Tuned today, went to track tonight. Problems..

Old 10-31-2014, 03:14 PM
06x6spdGTO
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
BEAT ME TO IT!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 597 Likes on 453 Posts

Most of the problem is the 60ft. 2.1 60 ft won't get you into the 11's at all. I myself was going to Bradenton Motorsports last night but the DA was too high and therefore I would be just wasting my time. Actually, your car seems to be in the ballpark of everyone else that's running 11's at Bradenton. Your trap speed looks good when compared to the high DA. For example, I went to Bradenton in April 2014...DA was around 1400. My 2014 A6 ran a best of only 3 runs 11.94@116, 1.79 60ft time. 2 more 7 speed Stingrays were running 11.60-11.80's 118-122 trap speeds, with almost the same bolt ons as you.....with the difference of a custom tune. So, it seems like that you need to fine tune the car and try to get a better 60 ft in order to see that improvement you are looking for. Whenever the DA improves, maybe I will catch you at the track.......Thursday night test and tune that is.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Mike sent me a revision to the tune which seems like it has helped the throttle cutout on launch. Also, my tuner called Diablo and got some clarification on some of the parameters he said and as a result I am going back up there tomorrow to get strapped back down to the dyno to fix things up further. More to come on this..

Originally Posted by Fore58
Most of the problem is the 60ft. 2.1 60 ft won't get you into the 11's at all. I myself was going to Bradenton Motorsports last night but the DA was too high and therefore I would be just wasting my time. Actually, your car seems to be in the ballpark of everyone else that's running 11's at Bradenton. Your trap speed looks good when compared to the high DA. For example, I went to Bradenton in April 2014...DA was around 1400. My 2014 A6 ran a best of only 3 runs 11.94@116, 1.79 60ft time. 2 more 7 speed Stingrays were running 11.60-11.80's 118-122 trap speeds, with almost the same bolt ons as you.....with the difference of a custom tune. So, it seems like that you need to fine tune the car and try to get a better 60 ft in order to see that improvement you are looking for. Whenever the DA improves, maybe I will catch you at the track.......Thursday night test and tune that is.
For sure man! Let me know when your going and I will try to make it up there. About 1.5 hour drive to get there for me so I have to plan it ahead of time..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diablo - Got CMR Tuned today, went to track tonight. Problems..