C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear suspension info '88 base Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Taps
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension info '88 base Corvette

What concerns should I have to keep the rear suspension in good shape? Right now I have no driving or tire wear issues however it appears the rear-end is not centered in the chassis correctly. Is there something that wears out and needs attention? The right side wheel/tire appears closer to the fender than the left by about 3/4" or so!

Thanks to all replies!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:25 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no expert on the matter but it seems that there is a pad where the spring sits on both sides that are about that thickness. Is one missing or broken?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Taps
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
I'm no expert on the matter but it seems that there is a pad where the spring sits on both sides that are about that thickness. Is one missing or broken?
Thank You! I'll check that out today. Will let you know what I find via pm.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

If you mean that it appears to be "offset" to the right something near 3/4" then that's typical for many '88+ builds. I doubt you'll find anything that stands out as "obviously" wrong and there are different philosophies as to how to deal with it or just forget about it and drive on.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Taps
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you mean that it appears to be "offset" to the right something near 3/4" then that's typical for many '88+ builds. I doubt you'll find anything that stands out as "obviously" wrong and there are different philosophies as to how to deal with it or just forget about it and drive on.
Thanks, interesting ! I'll begin some research on this. I agree it may be an issue not to be concerned with.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Vett1990
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Taps
What concerns should I have to keep the rear suspension in good shape? Right now I have no driving or tire wear issues however it appears the rear-end is not centered in the chassis correctly. Is there something that wears out and needs attention? The right side wheel/tire appears closer to the fender than the left by about 3/4" or so!

Thanks to all replies!
Taps,

Has the car ever been hit and repaired? I had my rear assembly out multiple times this summer due to breakage and finally a D44 swap. You could have a weak or un-adjusted leaf spring or the two upper bushings / bolts could have excessive ware. If its ride height that's different its the spring / gasket shims, if its yaw left or right it could be the bushings. Don't worry that diff isn't as complicated as it looks, good luck.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Taps
Heel & Toe

Thanks, I am going to get into it next week...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear suspension info '88 base Corvette

Quick Reply: Rear suspension info '88 base Corvette