Sponsored by:

C3 AC-conversion for R12 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C3 AC-conversion for R12 ?

Hello all, I recently replaced a bearing in my 77's AC compressor because it was making noise a couple years back when I used it last. For the past couple of years, I have just not used the AC (I actually just removed the belt so it would not turn the pulley). Anyway, after recently replacing the bearing, the air blows hot although the clutch does kick in and turns the compressor. I obviously need to recharge the system. Does anyone know if there is a "drop in" replacement for the R12 without having to install a conversion kit to the system? I have contemplated replacing the compressor etc., to convert over to the R134A, but if there is a exact replacement for the R12, I would rather go that route to get it back up and running at a lower cost.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
80L82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSH77VETTE
Hello all, I recently replaced a bearing in my 77's AC compressor because it was making noise a couple years back when I used it last. For the past couple of years, I have just not used the AC (I actually just removed the belt so it would not turn the pulley). Anyway, after recently replacing the bearing, the air blows hot although the clutch does kick in and turns the compressor. I obviously need to recharge the system. Does anyone know if there is a "drop in" replacement for the R12 without having to install a conversion kit to the system? I have contemplated replacing the compressor etc., to convert over to the R134A, but if there is a exact replacement for the R12, I would rather go that route to get it back up and running at a lower cost.

Thanks
Look around your area for an a/c shop that still has some R12. That's what I did and the a/c is blowing nice and cold. When I converted my old vette to R134A it didn't get anywhere near as cold after the conversion. Others will chime in to the exact reasoning, but that is my experience.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

R12 is still available to licensed AC technicians. If you want to convert to R134a, there are several do it yourself kits. Any competent automative AC shop can also do the conversion for you.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Thanks guys. I usually try to do as much as I can myself to save some $$$$'s which is why I was hoping there was a "drop in" refrigerant that I could buy myself and recharge the AC. I will do some checking around to see if any of the local shops in my area still have R12 and see what it will cost me. My guess is that the R12 won't be cheap, but with the heat we have had this summer, I gotta get that AC fixed so I can enjoy the car.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I converted mine to R-134 in 2010. I did it so that I could get it charged/serviced anywhere, anytime....like in the middle of a road trip.

It will drop the temps 40-45 degrees depending on the outside temperature. I also switched many other items in the system to wring as much performance from it as I could.

Good Luck
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
wnmech
Drifting

I have been buying my R12 on craigslist for as low as $10 dollars a can from individuals and not needing the licence. They used to sell a substitute called freeze 12 but I have not seen it on sale for awhile. You mentioned your clutch is kicking in so you may not be have a refrigerant problem since your low pressure switch is not disengaging the compressor. Can you see any bubbles or any refrigerant movement in the sight glass on your right fender well?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks guys. I usually try to do as much as I can myself to save some $$$$'s which is why I was hoping there was a "drop in" refrigerant that I could buy myself and recharge the AC. I will do some checking around to see if any of the local shops in my area still have R12 and see what it will cost me. My guess is that the R12 won't be cheap, but with the heat we have had this summer, I gotta get that AC fixed so I can enjoy the car.
No drop in available for R12. To change you will need to evac the system to get all the R12 out and then recharge with some other refrigerant.

Tom...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
No drop in available for R12. To change you will need to evac the system to get all the R12 out and then recharge with some other refrigerant.

Tom...

The shop that's worked on our `73 said as long as all the components worked, don't change. They also said that R12 simply "cools better"- it was available locally and that's what we're running.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by wnmech
I have been buying my R12 on craigslist for as low as $10 dollars a can from individuals and not needing the licence. They used to sell a substitute called freeze 12 but I have not seen it on sale for awhile. You mentioned your clutch is kicking in so you may not be have a refrigerant problem since your low pressure switch is not disengaging the compressor. Can you see any bubbles or any refrigerant movement in the sight glass on your right fender well?
Hi wnmech, I have not checked the sight glass on the fender well. I had actually forgotten that it was there. I'll check that out this afternoon when I get home from work to see if I can see any bubbles or movement. The clutch is definitely kicking in and continues to remain kicked in (not cycling as if the refrigerant is low), however, it does not cool at all. Both the high and low pressure pipes get red hot. I am concerned that my compressor may be shot. I was hearing a squealing noise when I first kicked the compressor in for a couple of minutes but then it quietened down. It just does not cool. Not sure what else could be wrong with it if it is not a coolant problem. I wonder if it's possible for the compressor to be bad? Thanks for your input.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Is anyone familiar with Duracool 12a ? A company in Canada makes this stuff. My brother called and talked to them yesterday and was told that this stuff is an exact drop in for R12. Just curious is anyone has heard of this stuff and or has used it?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
wnmech
Drifting

Throw the gauges on the system and see if there is any pressure diffenential between the high and low side. It sounds like your compressor has internally failed. If you do have a failed compressor you are going to have to replace the orifice tube which catches all the compressor trash and I would flush out the system and put a new acumulator on it. The accumulator and orifice tube are pretty cheap its a pain in the butt to get that accumulator out on the 77's. I have not heard of the duracool 12a but like I mentioned check the availibility of real r12 on craigslist and also found it plentiful for sale at automotive swap meets.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

77 was the change over year between VIR system and orifice tube. OP needs to determine which system he has. I suggest he take it to an AC shop for system test before going any further.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Is anyone familiar with Duracool 12a ? A company in Canada makes this stuff. My brother called and talked to them yesterday and was told that this stuff is an exact drop in for R12. Just curious is anyone has heard of this stuff and or has used it?
EPA lists it as an "unacceptable substitute". Said it is a "Flammable blend of hydrocarbons".

http://www.epa.gov/spdpublc/snap/ref.../macssubs.html
Old 11-20-2014, 07:18 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

With a conversion from r-12 you lose cooling capacity, about a 1/2 ton.I used to do refrigeration and have about 80 pounds of r-12. One 50 lb cylinder never open and a 50 lb that I have used from.If you buy a cylinder that has a black valve it may not be virgin refrigerant, if it has a green valve it has a check valve so you cannot recover refrigerant back into that cylinder. If you can buy r-12 for $10.00 that is the way I would go. For a restoration yes use 12. Before recharging get a vacuum pump. Pump system down. Break the vacuum with nitrogen, pump down again, break vacuum with nitrogen. then pump down and recharge. Assuming you have not found a leak while pumping system down.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 PM
todd estal
Advanced

Originally Posted by wnmech
if you find it for $10.00 A CAN YOU NEED TO GET IT THAT'S CHEAP. I SEE IT BEING SOLD FOR AS HIGH AS 40 A CAN . I HAVE 10 EXTRA CANS IF ANY ONE NEEDS IT BUT I WILL SELL FOR $ 25.00 A CAN PLUS SHIPPING
Old 11-21-2014, 01:34 PM
hamck
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got mine working with a product called Envirosafe. (Google it) Some members here may not agree, but it worked for me. I replaced the hoses and O rings, removed the V I R and cleaned out all the yuck. Got a rebuild kit from NAPA, (service kit no.208517) No problems in 3 years.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by hamck
I got mine working with a product called Envirosafe. (Google it)
I did a search on the EPA site for Envirosafe and it appears that Envirosafe is R22a intended for use in industrial a/c systems and is a butane blend.

Wonder why a two year old thread was brought back to life

Tom...
Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hamck
I got mine working with a product called Envirosafe. (Google it) Some members here may not agree, but it worked for me. I replaced the hoses and O rings, removed the V I R and cleaned out all the yuck. Got a rebuild kit from NAPA, (service kit no.208517) No problems in 3 years.
I don't think Envirosafe R22 replacement is available anymore. Check their website. Only international sales. R22A was eliminated from US purchases.

Last edited by Wrecked82; 11-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 AC-conversion for R12 ?

Quick Reply: C3 AC-conversion for R12 ?