C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

$20k for a repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:53 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG2
but for my day job I'm attorney ...
Then you fully understand the reasoning behind the agreed contract.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Something aside you guys who come up with $10/15/20K paint jobs haven't considered (or deny because it make the car seem "less exclusive" or whatever) is this: a lot of the work done on a FULL paint job CAN be done by a "$9/hr" (or $15 or whatever) employee and paying a body guy $75/hr to do the monotonous work is how you get to those big numbers. I think it's silly. I did a LOT of grunt work blocking cars as an even younger man and there's nothing magical about it. Now, I realize a lot of folks will disagree. Four out of Five C2 drivers are worth a $5K paint job but get a $15K job...underwater immediately.

P.S. major reconstructive surgery is obviously exempt, a whole other situation
While I agree in theory what your saying it has been my experence that there are very few if any shops that will quote you a $5K paint job.

Even a masked off mow and a blow is hard to find in my part of the woods and I live in the woods.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:02 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I'm convinced that paint has become one of the priciest commodities on earth. It seems almost as valuable as gold. Why, I don't know. Lawyers must be the reason. So, I guess it stands to reason that JMG is ok with that price.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I threw a plumber off the job when he showed up with his $60K Harley Davidson Limited edition pickup truck (looked nice) and Apple iPad. The plumber I wound up hiring cost me less but my jaw dropped when he is looking at my c2 in the garage and told me that he likes his 911 over his c6.

Does the $20K include chrome? I just painted my 67 convert in north NJ and extremely happy with it. 2 coats of primer, 2 coats green (all sanded off), then 3 coats green and 3 clear coats.
Goodwood green Bc/CC. Replaced windshield, weatherstripping and redid all chrome while it was apart. I took everything apart and put back together to save 3 days of work for the painter (was not bad). Car is curing in my garage with 5 rolls of CAUTION TAPE around it while my 4 young kids are playing in the empty spot. So far so good.

Last edited by Daren67; 11-24-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

As long as if it came out of someone else's paint gun, I guarantee my prep is as good on my own body. Again, this is not voodoo.
Just keep track if and when you decide to paint the car, let's keep in touch your in TN right? If so we will most likely cross paths someday (Lord Willing) at a show.

I know better than most about restoring cars, we have roughly 50 cars that have been restored over the last twenty-five years. The imagination cost always become absorbed (multiple times) in the real cost during any restoration.

Seems that everyone missed one important fact about the OPs initial question, there will be Chrome and stainless work needing restoration. That can become huge expense during a restoration job.

These old glass cars are deceiving when it comes to body/prep work......you'll see.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Then you fully understand the reasoning behind the agreed contract.
yeah.. that's what I was getting at.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65hihp
i'm convinced that paint has become one of the priciest commodities on earth. It seems almost as valuable as gold. Why, i don't know. Lawyers must be the reason. So, i guess it stands to reason that jmg is ok with that price.
ha!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:54 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Daren67
I threw a plumber off the job when he showed up with his $60K Harley Davidson Limited edition pickup truck (looked nice) and Apple iPad. The plumber I wound up hiring cost me less but my jaw dropped when he is looking at my c2 in the garage and told me that he likes his 911 over his c6.

Does the $20K include chrome? I just painted my 67 convert in north NJ and extremely happy with it. 2 coats of primer, 2 coats green (all sanded off), then 3 coats green and 3 clear coats.
Goodwood green Bc/CC. Replaced windshield, weatherstripping and redid all chrome while it was apart. I took everything apart and put back together to save 3 days of work for the painter (was not bad). Car is curing in my garage with 5 rolls of CAUTION TAPE around it while my 4 young kids are playing in the empty spot. So far so good.
Yes.. price includes a re-chrome.

I'm checking out one last shop tomorrow that has just about the same stellar rep as the guy that gave me the $20k quote.... but other than that, other than letting someone do this in his backyard, I've pretty much hit most of the shops that have either been recommended to me or that come up on Google as a shop that does work on mid years.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:10 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

yeah.. that's what I was getting at.
Intended reiteration.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Just keep track if and when you decide to paint the car, let's keep in touch your in TN right? If so we will most likely cross paths someday (Lord Willing) at a show.

I know better than most about restoring cars, we have roughly 50 cars that have been restored over the last twenty-five years. The imagination cost always become absorbed (multiple times) in the real cost during any restoration.

Seems that everyone missed one important fact about the OPs initial question, there will be Chrome and stainless work needing restoration. That can become huge expense during a restoration job.

These old glass cars are deceiving when it comes to body/prep work......you'll see.
I don't do many shows, but it would be great to meet another "younger" owner!

As to the paint cost/quality debate, I'm exhausted and the OP obviously is happy to move ahead. Makes me happy for him.

P.S. (Respectfully) I don't have to wait to see what it takes to do one right, I've been there.

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 11-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

I don't do many shows, but it would be great to meet another "younger" owner!
Join NCRS they need younger members. I've learned ALOT from the older crowd and love giving my younger opinion on their topics of knowledge!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Join NCRS they need younger members. I've learned ALOT from the older crowd and love giving my younger opinion on their topics of knowledge!
I joined for a couple years, never got much out of it- honestly I didn't put much into it either, this forum is such a helpful place and tolerates variety so well. I might renew sometime.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

The real question is how long will it last?
Can't imagine any reason it won't last as long as yours unless you have magic paint. I had it sprayed with high quality BC/CC but couldn't tell you which one off the top of my head. I do remember it was expensive, far more than I had ever paid for before.

Regarding those $20k paint jobs, how are you going to react when something unexpected happens? I've owned my car for nearly 40 years and drive it often and you never know what can happen...like when my garage door had a roller come off the track and knock a metal can off a shelf that fell and gouged a 2 inch hole in the paint! I was sick enough considering the paint job was only a few years old. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I'd paid upwards of $20k for it.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
Can't imagine any reason it won't last as long as yours unless you have magic paint. I had it sprayed with high quality BC/CC but couldn't tell you which one off the top of my head. I do remember it was expensive, far more than I had ever paid for before.

Regarding those $20k paint jobs, how are you going to react when something unexpected happens? I've owned my car for nearly 40 years and drive it often and you never know what can happen...like when my garage door had a roller come off the track and knock a metal can off a shelf that fell and gouged a 2 inch hole in the paint! I was sick enough considering the paint job was only a few years old. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I'd paid upwards of $20k for it.
Same way I react when anything happens....pitch a fit!

Brother the old man has knocked fenders off the 1939 chevy coupe twice.....no three times. One back right and two front right with the same tree.

Have you tried to find NOS 1939 chevy coupe fenders?

How did I react? We cut the tree DOWN

And for the record it's not magic paint.......it's Masterful PREP work!

Congrats on the 40 year ownership! Beautiful car.

Last edited by z06scentair; 11-24-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe

Same argument could be made for never driving the vette in the first place.i spent five years looking for it, god forbid I got into an accident..I'd never forgive myself, bett just leave it in the garage!

If it gets scratched or damaged, I'll have it fixed. Can't live in a bubble. I drive a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee srt envy day. I even *gasp* park it! I don't worry about how much I paid for it every time I drive it, if it breaks, I'll have it fixed. Certainly not going to let that influence my decision and get a crap paint job.

Last edited by JMG2; 11-24-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:30 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

just went to another highly recommended shop-- he quoted me "at least" $25k, and a year to do the work ...
Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,430 Likes on 737 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Ok you must like to do things twice....

I'm telling you from having 5 mid-year cars painted, Guarantee the OP's quote included GC!
Nope - with today 2k products - its not needed and no Corvette EVER came from the factory with gel coat....

Get notified of new replies

To $20k for a repaint?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:12 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by csherman
Nope - with today 2k products - its not needed and no Corvette EVER came from the factory with gel coat....
I went back and checked with the body guys, none of them are putting gel coat. The last one looked like I called his sister a ***** when I asked him.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

just went to another highly recommended shop-- he quoted me "at least" $25k, and a year to do the work ...
DAMN - 25% inflation in just 3 days. Body and paint work is going out of sight. Need to start looking at wraps.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:27 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
DAMN - 25% inflation in just 3 days. Body and paint work is going out of sight. Need to start looking at wraps.
yeah, starting to get a little discouraged... now I'm not sure if the first guy is just lowballing me .. whatever, I'll figure it out. The guy I went to today also said he'd need a year to do it.

Quick Reply: $20k for a repaint?