C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Frustrated in New Jersey.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 AM
vrone44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frustrated in New Jersey.

Nothing of any importance just personal observations.

I was absolutely positive my 96 CE was sold a while back but buyers being buyers the deal was never consummated. That being the case I decided to attend to the less than stellar finish of the hood. Not wanting to aggressively attack but rather finesse the finish I did manage to achieve a level of gloss with which I'm content. After that the entire car was done, ummmmmm shiny.

Having said all that useless clap trap what is really bothering me is my extremely limited use of the car. I've put about 800 miles on it in almost two years of ownership. It seems like a total waste of a nice car although I do enjoy those moments of driving and seeing it in the garage makes me feel like a kid at Christmas.

I know some will write “get out and enjoy it” but it appears the planets have aligned and targeted this portion of northern New Jersey to severe traffic congestion due to multiple simultaneous road / bridge construction projects. That window of reduced traffic has all but disappeared and it's almost bumper to bumper exiting the area. I'd rather not use it than sit in traffic. Heck, I can sit in traffic in a Smart car. Huh ? Did I really write that?

Last edited by vrone44; 11-22-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Addition of text.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:30 AM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

That would be frustrating.

I live in the country and don't have an issue with traffic

The only issue I have is the 6 months of winter here in Wisconsin
Old 11-22-2014, 11:56 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Do what everyone else does in New Jersey .....move to Florida Seriously, in about 4 months you'll be able to take some road trips to some of the awesome country within 300 miles of your place.....that should improve your mood. In the mean time remember there are some of us suffering through a seventy degree winter.`
Old 11-22-2014, 01:11 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree 100%. The drivers here in NJ are idiots. Even when there isn't construction or something police related there is always traffic. Always a car accident. You pull along someone doing less than the speed limit in the left lane, and what do they have in their hand? A cell phone. I took my vette from the shop to the house yesterday, and it was a very boring, frustrating, and aggravating experience. Makes me not even want to drive the car for a week.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Think New Jersey is bad cross the Outterbridge into Staten Island then tell me what you think.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

I was from Staten Island and moved to NJ @17 years ago. It's bad in SI and where you are in Bayonne not a joy to drive there either. Take a run with your car either where I am ( Monmouth Cty) or head to NW Jersey. At least you can have some fun on the roads out there....Bayonne and Staten Island are not fun places to drive a sports car!!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love this post! All the (Joysee) guys coming outa da wood work!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best $2.00 I've ever spent was paying the toll to cross the Delaware river headed west. NJ = Nanny Cesspool.
I moved there for 4 years from the Midwest, and was shocked at what a ****-hole the place was. Some stereotypes ring true, that one did.
All the best dude.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:03 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by vrone44
Nothing of any importance just personal observations.

I was absolutely positive my 96 CE was sold a while back but buyers being buyers the deal was never consummated. That being the case I decided to attend to the less than stellar finish of the hood. Not wanting to aggressively attack but rather finesse the finish I did manage to achieve a level of gloss with which I'm content. After that the entire car was done, ummmmmm shiny.

Having said all that useless clap trap what is really bothering me is my extremely limited use of the car. I've put about 800 miles on it in almost two years of ownership. It seems like a total waste of a nice car although I do enjoy those moments of driving and seeing it in the garage makes me feel like a kid at Christmas.

I know some will write “get out and enjoy it” but it appears the planets have aligned and targeted this portion of northern New Jersey to severe traffic congestion due to multiple simultaneous road / bridge construction projects. That window of reduced traffic has all but disappeared and it's almost bumper to bumper exiting the area. I'd rather not use it than sit in traffic. Heck, I can sit in traffic in a Smart car. Huh ? Did I really write that?

North Jersey absolutely sucks from a traffic perspective. I have absolutely no idea how anyone lives in the upper right quadrant. I'd go crazy.

Down in Central/South Jersey it is a much different story.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM
reg_255
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Do what everyone else does in New Jersey .....move to Florida Seriously, in about 4 months you'll be able to take some road trips to some of the awesome country within 300 miles of your place.....that should improve your mood. In the mean time remember there are some of us suffering through a seventy degree winter.`
I left Jersey City for North Carolina.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 AM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hey Frustrated;

I'm in Clifton, and I drive my '96 CE everyday to work April to Nov. That said, I agree the population / traffic density in the NE NJ area wears on ya...and yeah the construction is never ending, Rt 3 over the Passaic river took what, 4-5 years start to finish? And now they're about to start the Rt 3 / Rt 46 intersection " revitalization". Wonderful. I take a lot of day trips on weekends out to NW NJ, NY State, NE Pa. Good rides, good eats..
Old 11-25-2014, 10:35 AM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a funny thing. Almost every vette you see has exceptionally low mileage .. and it's because we don't DRIVE our beauties! I've started it already, I've only had mine a couple months and I have to make myself drive her. I don't want to put miles on her. Why the heck not?? Next summer (she's stuck in the garage now until April or so) I'll be taking her on long trips I haven't been able to in years with the gas mileage. My other "daily driver" is my pickup which gets 14 miles per gallon. Doubling that will allow me to get out and DO things.

So, drive through that hour or whatever of traffic to get someplace where you can open her up a little and just do it!

Or .. put a cardboard cutout of her in your garage and sell the real one.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by reg_255
I left Jersey City for North Carolina.
I was born in North Carolina and moved to Jersey City. You made a very smart choice!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:54 PM
vrone44
Instructor

HA!
Some great comments. Love the cardboard cutout and moving to Florida suggestions. Feeling better already.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 PM
vrone44
Instructor

I'm beginning to think that New Jersey is a good place to be from.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:59 PM
vrone44
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I agree 100%. The drivers here in NJ are idiots. Even when there isn't construction or something police related there is always traffic. Always a car accident. You pull along someone doing less than the speed limit in the left lane, and what do they have in their hand? A cell phone. I took my vette from the shop to the house yesterday, and it was a very boring, frustrating, and aggravating experience. Makes me not even want to drive the car for a week.
I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you think traffic is bad in S.I and North Jersey, try driving down Rt 22 and you will see a lot of idiots. This morning saw a dump truck towing a trailing , an 18 wheeler and two cars come from the center u-turn, straight over to the right lane, to make a turn. People cut you off on that road. that's the worst road in Jersey. And all that happen at 6am.

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrated in New Jersey.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vrone44
I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.
Yea, dude, 'cause without feet you can't like .. work the gas pedal.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:34 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BBNJKen
hey Frustrated;

I'm in Clifton, and I drive my '96 CE everyday to work April to Nov. That said, I agree the population / traffic density in the NE NJ area wears on ya...and yeah the construction is never ending, Rt 3 over the Passaic river took what, 4-5 years start to finish? And now they're about to start the Rt 3 / Rt 46 intersection " revitalization". Wonderful. I take a lot of day trips on weekends out to NW NJ, NY State, NE Pa. Good rides, good eats..
Sent you a pm
Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rlane5
If you think traffic is bad in S.I and North Jersey, try driving down Rt 22 and you will see a lot of idiots. This morning saw a dump truck towing a trailing , an 18 wheeler and two cars come from the center u-turn, straight over to the right lane, to make a turn. People cut you off on that road. that's the worst road in Jersey. And all that happen at 6am.
Yeah 22 is bad and so is 17 going up past Paramus; 46 from Hackensack to Parsippany; Parkway from the Union toll to the Bergen toll; Turnpike extension from 14A; the Goethals Bridge; 1&9 going anywhere; 27 from Metuchen to Franklin Park. Hmmm, come to think of it - they're all bad. Time to move.

Quick Reply: Frustrated in New Jersey.