Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Charger Hellcat Tested, Out Accelerates ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I have yet to see a Viper pull a Hellcat in a roll race......so one of you guys needs to race that Texas Hellcat and make it happen.

He will race modded cars too so give him a call.
The orange TA walked him, just because mr SAWTX chose not to upload that vid doesn't mean it didn't happen, we were all there. Haven't you noticed every Viper vid they upload has the Viper missing a shift? I didn't miss a shift when I beat him by 20 cars you see him post that video? You see them post the orange TA vid where the TA walked him? There will be other guys in Houston with Hellcats to run that aren't clowns.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Charger HC
Old 01-29-2015, 10:54 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by 96mogt
That's what everyone was saying about the hellcat on how great it is blah blah blah. Track tested, proven yea I get it.... Moral of the story is its getting smacked around left and right with plenty of footage to prove it. Dodge products like their "tests" are once again over rated and hold no weight just like their resale value. This is coming from an STR8 300 owner at one point as well. Great car but hang on when you go to resell it lol. Jay
Really? You're going with resale and manufacturer rhetoric...
Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 PM
ajjaro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
The orange TA walked him, just because mr SAWTX chose not to upload that vid doesn't mean it didn't happen, we were all there. Haven't you noticed every Viper vid they upload has the Viper missing a shift? I didn't miss a shift when I beat him by 20 cars you see him post that video? You see them post the orange TA vid where the TA walked him? There will be other guys in Houston with Hellcats to run that aren't clowns.
I believe it
Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajjaro
It baffles me as to how you came to that conclusion.
Don't pay any attention to the musings of Dave68, no one does.
He has an old C5 and is desperately trying to stay relevant.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by FLATOUTVIPER
Not saying it didn't happen.....but Callsign Vega needs proof

I don't see why you guys just don't race him again...Why do we have to wait for Nineball to get back?
He says you guys are scared to run him.

He will race a modded Viper also, so you could even give it a shot and Go Pro it to You Tube.

What's the worst that can happen?
Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM
ajjaro
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Don't pay any attention to the musings of Dave68, no one does.
He has an old C5 and is desperately trying to stay relevant.
Thanks for the tip, it's an unfortunate state of mind lol
Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ajjaro
It baffles me as to how you came to that conclusion.

I wasn't "trying" to say anything.

I SAID that in C & D 's testing the charger out accelerated the ZR1. And it did.

End of story.

Nothing to do with the track, the looks, the competition (serious buyers) choose to buy.

And definitely nothing to do with your pride.

I wasn't attempting to post a comprehensive comparison of both cars.

It's as simple as what i posted.

The insecurity on this forum amazes me, you appear to feel a loyalty to this machine in a way that directly affects your sense of self-worth. The fact that my post made you feel the need to defend the ZR1 and belittle the charger is amusing.

And for the record, there has never been a sedan that can accelerate faster than the ZR1 to 150..
I was referring to this statement and the person who posted it:

The fact that a ZR1 with a competent driver needs to worry about a giant four door FACTORY sedan is a win for the Charger. Very impressive.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave68
So what you're saying is that GM designed the ZR1 to win drag strip contests? Is that correct?

Uh, no, there have always been fast sedans out there. However none that I know of ever beat a Z06 or ZR1 on a race track - the environment in which the Corvette was designed to excel.

Believe me, if GM wanted to make a drag-strip/straight line-specific car that could beat every OEM car in the world, it could. Would that make financial sense in any way or form? Of course not. Most folks who are serious about spending $70,000+ on a sedan will be looking at high-end sedans that are far more status-satisfying than a Fiat-Chrysler vehicle. By the same token, very few Corvette Z06 buyers will cross-shop with a Charger Hellcat. So whether a huge, straight-line sedan's acceleration numbers mean anything to an oener of a car that would be used on a track, is minimal.

Dave.... Dave..... Dave

95% of "super car" buyers, don't want to see their rocket pulled on by a........ fat baby Elephant with 4 doors

It's not what the mind envisions.

It's like Ice cream not melting in Hell....doesn't make sense....shouldn't happen....

I know it's a track car, but most people will just be street driving it....lets be honest...95% of people.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Dave.... Dave..... Dave

95% of "super car" buyers, don't want to see their rocket pulled on by a........ fat baby Elephant with 4 doors

It's like Ice cream not melting in Hell....doesn't make sense....shouldn't happen....

I know it's a track car, but most people will just be street driving it....lets be honest...95% of people.
and --►
Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 96mogt
This is coming from an STR8 300 owner at one point as well. Great car but hang on when you go to resell it lol. Jay
I'm hoping the Hellcat challenger with 3 pedals will have a crappy resale because I would love to have one as a daily in 2-3 years do some minor mods on it and smoke basically everything on the freeway, including stock / mildly modded ZR1s (flame suit on)

I would still take a ZR1 over a Hellcat all day every day and twice on sundays

Originally Posted by Dave68
So what you're saying is that GM designed the ZR1 to win drag strip contests? Is that correct?

Uh, no, there have always been fast sedans out there. However none that I know of ever beat a Z06 or ZR1 on a race track - the environment in which the Corvette was designed to excel.

Believe me, if GM wanted to make a drag-strip/straight line-specific car that could beat every OEM car in the world, it could. Would that make financial sense in any way or form? Of course not. Most folks who are serious about spending $70,000+ on a sedan will be looking at high-end sedans that are far more status-satisfying than a Fiat-Chrysler vehicle. By the same token, very few Corvette Z06 buyers will cross-shop with a Charger Hellcat. So whether a huge, straight-line sedan's acceleration numbers mean anything to an oener of a car that would be used on a track, is minimal.
Nobody ever said GM can't make a faster car, the ZR1 is no doubt the better performance car against the Hellcat, but it also costs a ton more. It's also missing rear seats. Point is a car like the Hellcat should have no business even coming within the same zip code as a ZR1 but it does.

I also can't think of other factory sedans that can come close to the ZR1 in a straightline, that costs what the Hellcat costs. The Mercedes E63 S 4matic is the only one I can think of, but after its AWD launch advantage its trap speed indicates it won't hang with a ZR1

Last edited by furiousox; 01-30-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by furiousox
I'm hoping the Hellcat challenger with 3 pedals will have a crappy resale because I would love to have one as a daily in 2-3 years do some minor mods on it and smoke basically everything on the freeway, including stock / mildly modded ZR1s (flame suit on)

I would still take a ZR1 over a Hellcat all day every day and twice on sundays

Nobody ever said GM can't make a faster car, the ZR1 is no doubt the better performance car against the Hellcat, but it also costs a ton more. It's also missing rear seats. Point is a car like the Hellcat should have no business even coming within the same zip code as a ZR1 but it does.

I also can't think of other factory sedans that can come close to the ZR1 in a straightline, that costs what the Hellcat costs. The Mercedes E63 S 4matic is the only one I can think of, but after its AWD launch advantage its trap speed indicates it won't hang with a ZR1
There is one huge problem with the hellcats, the rear fenders. They are not wide enough to get a big tire in there. Mod all you want but good luck hooking. FYI slightly used ZR1s can be had for about 65K which is little less then a optioned out Hellcat.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
There is one huge problem with the hellcats, the rear fenders. They are not wide enough to get a big tire in there. Mod all you want but good luck hooking. FYI slightly used ZR1s can be had for about 65K which is little less then a optioned out Hellcat.
Not true

Guys have gotten a 305/35/20 on 20X11 rims no problem....

Also someone got a 315/35/20 on 20X11 rims with only a very slight adjustment to the rear inner fender well liner. (Pic attached)

SRT rolled the fenders and changed the inner liners from the factory to allow this.

It's not like the previous Challengers.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 01-30-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Did anyone catch 1:12-1:14?

206.9 MPH??
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Did anyone catch 1:12-1:14?

206.9 MPH??
Yeah...sick
Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TK the big boss said 305 mm fit easily. Dodge couldn't pass the whatever "turn test" was properly. Left it to the streets to swap out.

The 275 is on a 9.5 wide rim. It's an easy 285 mm rim which I would put on MPSS. Lighter, longer lasting and better grip than stock.

BTW I looked at getting one today and the dealer wanted 5K over MSRP. LOL.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 PM
SoonerSpeedFreak
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Dave.... Dave..... Dave

I have a charger friend getting a Hellcat soon. I would never hear the end of it.
I am hoping the Z06 Auto is somehow much faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Charger Hellcat Tested, Out Accelerates ZR1

Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

The Charger fatcat, IMO, is lipstick on a pig. So what if it out acclerates the Vette in a straighline, I'll take the Vette all day everyday.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:30 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
The Charger fatcat, IMO, is lipstick on a pig. So what if it out acclerates the Vette in a straighline, I'll take the Vette all day everyday.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar jimmy

Name:  image-54cd3671e753f.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  71.3 KB

Quick Reply: Charger Hellcat Tested, Out Accelerates ZR1