C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Active Aero??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Active Aero??

I have not seen this discussed, so forgive me if this is not a new thought.

What about active aero on the ZO6?? I was watching Top Gear and James May was pushing the Bugati Veyron to the limit, and I was astonished at how much the rear wing was involved. It not only was increasing and decreasing downforce and drag, but it also worked as an air brake going into corners.

I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.....

In another discussion on the forum, someone stated that the high downforce of the ZO7 caused it to lose 1.5 seconds on the straight at the Ring.

That got me thinking that an active aero package (rear wing) would be a great help.

Do you think this would be true and do you think we will ever see such a package on the Zo6??

It would be cool
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Hypermac954
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the system on the Agera, most active aero systems add a decent amount of weight. That said, the wing on the Veyron and the McLaren 12C/650S are amazing - nothing can brake like them with the air brake deployed. Add in the ability to reduce drag automatically (on the 650, and the 12C with latest software), and you have a wicked aero system, but it must be programmed just right. More so doable on those cars as well since they're mid-engined, so the systems won't impede the trunk.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

If you forward to 6:20 you can watch the Stig take the Bugati on a hot lap......check out the wing.

Would be very cool on a Corvette, Possible??
Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypermac954
Aside from the system on the Agera, most active aero systems add a decent amount of weight. That said, the wing on the Veyron and the McLaren 12C/650S are amazing - nothing can brake like them with the air brake deployed. Add in the ability to reduce drag automatically (on the 650, and the 12C with latest software), and you have a wicked aero system, but it must be programmed just right. More so doable on those cars as well since they're mid-engined, so the systems won't impede the trunk.

The Hennessey Venom is another with the active aero...amazing systems but they are complex and EXPENSIVE...like $15k-$20k expensive (or more).

Add that to the basic cost of a Z07 ($115k average with all the bells and whistles) and that puts you into an entirely different price point - right where GM is targeting for the Zora: $125k - $150k.

And I think that for the Z06/Z07 they wanted to "keep it simple, stupid" K.I.S.S.

They already have a lot of complexity...the liability they would have if active aero failed and someone killed themselves at the track would be bad. Especially if they killed others as well.

And the weight penalty is also no small matter. There are people bitching about the 300# they already gained on the C7Z...what would they say to another 150-200?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:04 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

OR dirt cheap...

I saw a Mini-Pooper deploy an active spoiler at 55mph on the highway.

WHAT A GIMMICK !!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:45 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
OR dirt cheap...

I saw a Mini-Pooper deploy an active spoiler at 55mph on the highway.

WHAT A GIMMICK !!!!!
There's a little difference between a pop-up spoiler like the Audi TT or Porsche Cayman or Chrysler Crossfire and REAL active aero.

Active aero in the upper echelons is FAR more; variable height based on speed, variable rake depending on speed, an air brake when pedal is pushed (and to varying degrees based on how hard/far the brake is pushed)...

Some even have hydraulic cups on top of the shocks to raise/lower the vehicle to enhance the aero or just to get over low road obstructions like curbs and speed bumps in parking lots.

And then the software to control it all...flawlessly.

Not to mention the hydraulics involved for rapid deployment/movement. Electric motors (using 12 volts) just aren't up to the task.

I asked Henessy what their system ran for another project car...he gave me a number and said it wasn't available without buying a Venom attached. They wouldn't tell me who made it...apparently it is under license only to them.

ACTIVE aero isn't cheap...a speed actuated fixed spoiler isn't even in the same league...or even the same continent.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 01-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The P1 creates over 1300 lbs of downforce at 160 mph. McLaren had to make the rear suspension stronger because the downforce was breaking suspension parts. So it won't be as easy as adding a wing and software and you are done. This item adds weight, complexity, R&D, heavier parts, programming, etc.

I'll take it though.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM
waltershu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe,on the next ZR1
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM
mtraylor2001
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the idea. Well first of all trying to add active rear spoiler from what is on the McClaren and Bugatti to the vette in a cost effective package is a real big stretch.

Now that being said. The Engineering that was put into the rear spoiler was well thought out by gm and it does a great job. Now I do think however that they could put something close to what it has into a nice cost effect pkg. like on the Lexus RC F $60k+ car.

Example:
Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mtraylor2001
I love the idea. Well first of all trying to add active rear spoiler from what is on the McClaren and Bugatti to the vette in a cost effective package is a real big stretch.

Now that being said. The Engineering that was put into the rear spoiler was well thought out by gm and it does a great job. Now I do think however that they could put something close to what it has into a nice cost effect pkg. like on the Lexus RC F $60k+ car.

Example:
Lexus RC F - Active rear wing - YouTube
very cool
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Active aero would be great, but people already complain about the cost of the Z as it is. If you add 25K of active aero over the 110K already, you hit that weird Viper price point--and no one is buying Vipers.

As someone said, the new Zora mid-engine car might get more adaptable systems at a higher price point.

Of course, if you have spent any time on Porsche boards, you know that if a Corvette hits a certain price point, the Europhiles say, "They would never pay that much for a [mere plastic] American car." There may be some truth to what they say as the price point climbs. GM would have to have a solid marketing study to justify the mid-100s price point, for either a super Z06 or a Zora.

Get notified of new replies

To Active Aero??

Quick Reply: Active Aero??