C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side veiw mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:44 PM
HERK
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Side veiw mirror

How do you replace the glass on the side view mirrors ?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:55 PM
HERK
Drifting

no one knows how to replace the glass on a side view mirror ? But you can build a whole engine. wow.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Zealot06
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I broke my LH side view mirror glass whilst backing it out of my narrow garage. I went the route of finding a used assembly rather than replacing the glass, mainly because I was afraid I'd break the new one. But, if you want to try it yourself, here's a link to a guy on YouTube who recently tackled the job:

Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 PM
HERK
Drifting

Thank you very much, Zealot06
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have a write up on how to remove and install it also which I will post when I get home later.

I just bought a new mirror assembly instead of trying to dissect my old one.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

How much was the new one?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I got mine from Corvette Central for about $80 but that was 4 years ago. You could also try Gene at Cultrag.com

The Electrochromatic mirrors have a long history of failure. You can replace just the glass and plastic surround without removing the housing from the door. I got mine from Corvette Central. and replaced my bad glass about 4 years ago. Except for auto dimming you would never know the difference. Here is the DIY I developed.

Removing the C5 Mirror Insert

This guidance is for removing just the mirror insert (with plastic surround) in cases where the actual mirror has an issue or you need to access the motor assembly behind it.
The mirror housing can be left attached to the door.

Before you start, place a blanket under the door so if you drop the mirror it will not break and if any of the positioner pins come out they will not be hard to find, There are 4 of them.

Move the mirror all the way up or down so you can get your fingers behind the mirror.
Placing some tape around the housing edges before you start so as to not scratch the housing paint would be a good idea.

The mirror connects to the motor assembly with 5 snap in connections.

One is the main pivot ball in the center, The other 4 are smaller with one above, below, left, and right of the large center pivot.

The 4 smaller ones are driven by the motor assembly to position the mirror.
Have a friend hold the mirror housing while you pull on the mirror insert.
The mirror insert should “pop” out and be released.

Note: Now you will have to remove the heated mirror wiring connector and if equipped, the connector for the auto dimming.

One or more of the position pins may come out with the mirror insert or just fall on the ground. This is OK and not an issue.

If any pins come out they should have a spring attached to them so don’t lose the springs. The pins actually are inserted into the springs.

When I removed my mirror insert one pin came out with the spring still attached to the mirror insert. I simply removed it from the mirror insert just reinserted it into the motor assembly before I put the mirror insert back on. Everything worked just fine after I finished.

The mirror insert has “cupped” like connectors that the pivot and pins fit/snap into.
Use a good silicone type lubricant on the pins, pivot, and mirror insert connectors to make reattaching the mirror insert easier.

Please note the 4 pins have a small protrusion that has to be aligned correctly to match the mirror insert connectors . Not hard to “eyeball” the correct alignment but if not close the insert will not snap back onto the pins.

You should now be ready to reinstall the mirror insert.

Reattach the one or two wiring connectors.

If your new mirror does not have the electrochromatic feature (and the original did) just tape the wires off and make sure they are stuffed back so they don't interfere with the mirror motion. It will be apparent which wires are for the heating element versus the auto dimming.

Have a friend support the housing so it does not move when you press the mirror insert back in.

I recommend (must do or similar) cut a block of wood to cover as much of the mirror as possible so when you press in back on so you distribute the pressure and don’t break the mirror. Also place a small towel or soft material between the block and the mirror so as to not scratch the mirror.

As you start pressing the mirror insert in, try to put move the mirror insert and motor assembly so it is not tilted like you did when you removed it. You want all the pins and pivot to snap in at one time.

It takes a good amount of pressure to snap the mirror insert into place. That is why you need a friend to hold the housing and you need to lubricate the pins/pivot and the mirror insert connectors.

If it does not snap in with “reasonable force”, remove the mirror and double check the alignment of the 4 pins. I found out that I had not correctly aligned them all and had to redo that and then it snapped in.

When I reinstalled my insert I did not have a friend to help so I had to press with one hand while I held the housing with the other. It takes good amount of pressure to snap it in but I did it with one hand.

Good luck.

PS:
Remember if you are replacing the motor assembly there are 2 types. One with Memory and one without. The one with Memory has 2 connectors, not one. The one with memory has an additional 4 pin connector.

Also, you can see what the inside of the housing looks like in this link. Look at Post 5.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589124524
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

if your mirror is not cracked you can take it apart like the video pull the front peace of glass off and clean every thing and just glue the mirror back in place reinstall it, that's what i did no need to buy a replacement mirror. the liquid is sandwiched be tween a clear glass and the mirror
Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Cberry2
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Million Thanks

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I got mine from Corvette Central for about $80 but that was 4 years ago. You could also try Gene at Cultrag.com

The Electrochromatic mirrors have a long history of failure. You can replace just the glass and plastic surround without removing the housing from the door. I got mine from Corvette Central. and replaced my bad glass about 4 years ago. Except for auto dimming you would never know the difference. Here is the DIY I developed.

Removing the C5 Mirror Insert

This guidance is for removing just the mirror insert (with plastic surround) in cases where the actual mirror has an issue or you need to access the motor assembly behind it.
The mirror housing can be left attached to the door.

Before you start, place a blanket under the door so if you drop the mirror it will not break and if any of the positioner pins come out they will not be hard to find, There are 4 of them.

Move the mirror all the way up or down so you can get your fingers behind the mirror.
Placing some tape around the housing edges before you start so as to not scratch the housing paint would be a good idea.

The mirror connects to the motor assembly with 5 snap in connections.

One is the main pivot ball in the center, The other 4 are smaller with one above, below, left, and right of the large center pivot.

The 4 smaller ones are driven by the motor assembly to position the mirror.
Have a friend hold the mirror housing while you pull on the mirror insert.
The mirror insert should “pop” out and be released.

Note: Now you will have to remove the heated mirror wiring connector and if equipped, the connector for the auto dimming.

One or more of the position pins may come out with the mirror insert or just fall on the ground. This is OK and not an issue.

If any pins come out they should have a spring attached to them so don’t lose the springs. The pins actually are inserted into the springs.

When I removed my mirror insert one pin came out with the spring still attached to the mirror insert. I simply removed it from the mirror insert just reinserted it into the motor assembly before I put the mirror insert back on. Everything worked just fine after I finished.

The mirror insert has “cupped” like connectors that the pivot and pins fit/snap into.
Use a good silicone type lubricant on the pins, pivot, and mirror insert connectors to make reattaching the mirror insert easier.

Please note the 4 pins have a small protrusion that has to be aligned correctly to match the mirror insert connectors . Not hard to “eyeball” the correct alignment but if not close the insert will not snap back onto the pins.

You should now be ready to reinstall the mirror insert.

Reattach the one or two wiring connectors.

If your new mirror does not have the electrochromatic feature (and the original did) just tape the wires off and make sure they are stuffed back so they don't interfere with the mirror motion. It will be apparent which wires are for the heating element versus the auto dimming.

Have a friend support the housing so it does not move when you press the mirror insert back in.

I recommend (must do or similar) cut a block of wood to cover as much of the mirror as possible so when you press in back on so you distribute the pressure and don’t break the mirror. Also place a small towel or soft material between the block and the mirror so as to not scratch the mirror.

As you start pressing the mirror insert in, try to put move the mirror insert and motor assembly so it is not tilted like you did when you removed it. You want all the pins and pivot to snap in at one time.

It takes a good amount of pressure to snap the mirror insert into place. That is why you need a friend to hold the housing and you need to lubricate the pins/pivot and the mirror insert connectors.

If it does not snap in with “reasonable force”, remove the mirror and double check the alignment of the 4 pins. I found out that I had not correctly aligned them all and had to redo that and then it snapped in.

When I reinstalled my insert I did not have a friend to help so I had to press with one hand while I held the housing with the other. It takes good amount of pressure to snap it in but I did it with one hand.

Good luck.

PS:
Remember if you are replacing the motor assembly there are 2 types. One with Memory and one without. The one with Memory has 2 connectors, not one. The one with memory has an additional 4 pin connector.

Also, you can see what the inside of the housing looks like in this link. Look at Post 5.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589124524
Thank you very much for your posting it was very helpful.
Chip

Get notified of new replies

To Side veiw mirror

Quick Reply: Side veiw mirror