C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

how and how much to ship a targa top

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how and how much to ship a targa top

hello, I need to send my extra targa top out for repair. I was wondering what this would cost on average to ship. How have you prepared the "box" for the targa top? I was thinking lite weight wood. Problem is the more the package weighs the more it cost to ship. Any other ideas for packaging?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:16 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

pay to have it packed and insured....chances are it will get fkd up despite your best efforts and they will deny your claim otherwise sadly.......just make sure they will cover it if damaged....get it in writing.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
pay to have it packed and insured....chances are it will get fkd up despite your best efforts and they will deny your claim otherwise sadly.......just make sure they will cover it if damaged....get it in writing.
I just saw a post the last day or so about a place in Florida that fixed them and paid shipping both ways fo a decent price
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
Take lots of pics of it & ship it Insured! Ins saved my A$$
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have to ship, FedEx is cheaper than UPS. The top qualifies for "overweight" shipping with UPS because of the size. FedEx goes by weight alone. Last one I shipped about 6 years ago from AL to MI was about $35
Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

back about 10 years ago I packaged up my white one in what I thought was about a bullet proof way. It arrived shattered in pieces and I had to sent the guys money back. Like was said have it packaged professionaly and sent insured or your rolling the dice
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chadk
hello, I need to send my extra targa top out for repair. I was wondering what this would cost on average to ship. How have you prepared the "box" for the targa top? I was thinking lite weight wood. Problem is the more the package weighs the more it cost to ship. Any other ideas for packaging?
I just received a top from Melrose corvette tops and the shipping charge was $45.00. I would send you my box but I am sending my old one back in. As far as how to ship they wrapped in in Styrofoam and on the top of glass between the glass and the box they slid in a one 8th inch piece of plywood the size of the entire top to protect to top from shipping damage. hopes this helps.

Goose
Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 PM
chadk
Racer

Thanks Goose and others. Ill buble wrap it, encase in thin sheet of wood, insure it, and send out via FedEx.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have a Michaels craft store near you? Stop in their frame shop and see if they will give you a box that their frames are shipped in. It's a heavy duty reinforced box that's a perfect size for the top, ask for the Styrofoam sheets that are used also. Nothing comes in broken in these boxes and frames are pretty fragile. They just throw these away after they are emptied.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by chadk
Thanks Goose and others. Ill buble wrap it, encase in thin sheet of wood, insure it, and send out via FedEx.
Make sure you take pics,of your prep to ship,It helped me with my ins claim & its good for the buyer,to see how it was shipped in case it goes to crap.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

if this is a see thru top, there is a place in Chicago that repairs them. Might do solid tops too, not sure. They usually list on craigs list. Ask around here , I believe some have done biz with them.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought an empty box from Melrose T-Tops and had it sent to me. the price of the box plus UPS overdimensional penalty (even for an empty box) was about $70 I think. I have had issues with home packed targa roofs knife-edging on the back of the UPS truck or curb so I thought it was worth it. Don't pack it yourself until you see how they made their box first.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Had 2 tops shipped to me years ago. Both arrived damaged. Never again. They were insured but had to fight to get the money.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 PM
chadk
Racer

Thanks for reply. See that's the **** I'm talking about. No guarantee that I'll pack it correct.

Here's the delio. I have the clear targa top seperated from frame already. It's all cleaned up. Ready to be glued back together. Problem is nobody will tell me exactly what they use to glue it back together. I guess it's some trade secret. I have asked them directly and got the same answers. Ship it to us and well guarantee it not to separate.
Now, I have searched high and low on what to use to glue it back together. I have like three possible solutions.
After all these horror stories
I decided not to ship and do it myself. Just got to gamble on the glue.

Get notified of new replies

To how and how much to ship a targa top

Quick Reply: how and how much to ship a targa top