C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:18 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by JameyTurner
Starbucks? Yeah right are you kidding me? Some of these 100% law abiding citizens are gonna have their hands properly placed at the 10 and 2 position unless they have a 3rd hand they can't drink coffee and drive!

Racing on the highway....bad and dangerous yep....do we do it....yep! Is it smart nope? But if you read the statistics it is not the most dangerous thing in the world. Will it ever stop nope! Approximately 150 deaths per year from street racing and this average has remained about the same for yearsssss. Texting while driving is related to about 6000 deaths per year and is increasing year after year! Hmmmm maybe that is why every state has a huge campaign against texting and driving and also being ticketed. If caught street racing yes you are facing some heavy fines (and a small possibility of crashing and dying but this can happen at the track as well AND OTHERS ARE IN DANGER AT A TRACK ALSO). NOBODY follows the laws 100% of the time while driving I see it every day whether it is changing lanes without signaling, running red lights, speeding, headlight or tail light out, texting and driving, reading paper/book and driving, putting on makeup and driving, racing on the street, illegal u-turns, drunk driving, too many lane changes within a certain distance (yes this is illegal ask me how i know), and many more. If 1 person on here says they drive and obey 100% of the laws 100% of the time well nothing I can do for somebody that lies to themself! Everybody is guilty of something and you are putting others at danger around you when you are doing any of the things I mentioned and things I didn't. Yeah it is easy to point the finger and say "them damn street racers are gonna kill somebody...." but guess what "you damn speeders, makeup putter oners while driving, etc etc are gonna kill somebody as well..."! So look in the mirror before you start getting all pissy about 1 illegal subject when you are guilty of at least 1 thing while driving as well! And if you are that person that follows every single driving law to a T then my hats off to you & I bet you are some piece of work!

I have now put my soap box away!
I'd like to add not only texting but talking on the cell phone is equally bad.Hand held or Bluetooth .They should be banned while driving but
Congress will never pass the law.Sorry if I got off the subject A little.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacoven
Find it hard to believe that you never have exceeded the speed limit, and guess what that is breaking the law. Speeds are set for safety purposes, like you driving 29 in a posted 25 residential area could lead to more brake time needed to avoid hitting a child going out for a ball etc. I understand there is a line between reckless endangerment and people looking for a quick smile, but the guys in the video waited till traffic was clear to gas it (which is breaking the law) but hardly reckless endangerment as there was no other crossing lanes of traffic before the stop light. Some of the responses seem really down right judgmental and hypocritical when I would bet everything I own that everyone in this forum has broke the law at some point with their vehicle.
Actually, Speed limits have been set to force drivers to conserve fuel and raise revenue via income from tickets.

People want to blame the Fast and Furious franchise for bringing illegal street racing to the public eye. Maybe if they weren't killing people in the process, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

when people die due to incompetence, it's never a good thing. Doesn't matter if its texting while driving, or just not paying attention. Death is Death. Saying it's okay because only 150 people die a year due to street racing compared to people dying due to drivers texting? That's the most retarded argument I've ever heard. "It's ok to street race, because only 150 people die a year...."

Ask Paul Walker how it turned out for him, eh?

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 03-31-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Speed limits have been set to force drivers to conserve fuel

Have you heard that the Federally imposed 55 mph speed limit is no longer in effect?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 PM
BigPotatoMoths
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a former street racer myself (gave it up 20 years ago), but I'm a lot older and hopefully wiser now.

One thing about street racing that's missed in this thread is that often local races are loosely organized events with hundreds of people attending. Often those people are crowded around the cars at the starting line, or sometimes crowded around the finish line; cars will sometimes get squirrely and out of control and plow into crowds, leading to injury and death. No matter how careful a driver might be at one of these events, you can't control the crowds.

In one case I recall, a 16 year old girl was killed during a race because someone had yelled cops coming, and she ran out into the street in front of the cars that were racing at the time.

So it's fun and exciting, but dangerous as hell sometimes.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

In the past, this forum has always stopped postings that advocated street racing. I would hope the moderators would step in and close or (better yet) delete this thread. Street racing is a crime and most of us are not criminals. There are legal places to drag race and that is where it should take place, not on the street. You cannot debate with criminals.

Last edited by crawfish333; 03-31-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 PM
U8 DU5T
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I'd like to add not only texting but talking on the cell phone is equally bad.Hand held or Bluetooth .They should be banned while driving but
Congress will never pass the law.Sorry if I got off the subject A little.
Talking while driving on the phone via Bluetooth should be banned? Really? Sorry but that's asinine.

Should Congress ban talking to your passengers too? It is essentially the same thing.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM
7SECONDS
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I knew this C7 Video Camera could be as Bad as it is Good!

Hide the GoPro!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by U8 DU5T
Talking while driving on the phone via Bluetooth should be banned? Really? Sorry but that's asinine.

Should Congress ban talking to your passengers too? It is essentially the same thing.
Don't believe me,They've did studies that cell phone use is as dangerous as texting maybe more.Put the general public goes into A hissy fit like you every time it's mentioned.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:41 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
In the past, this forum has always stopped posting that advocated street racing. I would hope the moderators would step in and close or (better yet) delete this thread. Street racing is a crime and most of us are not criminals. There are legal places to drag race and that is where it should take place, not on the street. You cannot debate with criminals.
Just for you because you disapprove of street racing the thread should be deleted. Once again not everyone shares your view. Like it or not, street racing has been part of life since the first automobiles rolled off the old assembly line. Legal or not dangerous as it can be it is here to stay.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
U8 DU5T
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
Don't believe me,They've did studies that cell phone use is as dangerous as texting maybe more.Put the general public goes into A hissy fit like you every time it's mentioned.
Oh please. I am not having a hissy fit. You can produce whatever results you want of any study. If talking on the phone while driving via Bluetooth is dangerous then so is talking to your passenger. It is the very same act minus the dialing part but then again you can use voice commands to dial someone through the infotainment system.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:17 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh please. I am not having a hissy fit. You can produce whatever results you want of any study. If talking on the phone while driving via Bluetooth is dangerous then so is talking to your passenger. It is the very same act minus the dialing part but then again you can use voice commands to dial someone through the infotainment system.
I agree. However your argument will go nowhere on this thread.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by js1977
Omg isn't it so funny, o man it's just like that time that you got with those two dogs.... Wait what?!? It's sarcasim man, try and catch it next time, who gives a **** about some guys racing their cars and the cops wasting time and money on some big sting "pun intended" operation to catch them? It's fun to make jokes about, but this thread shouldn't be taken serious or even cause anyone to get upset about, haha! Good read comment wise...
I doubt if you or your family were killed by street racers many on here including myself would have any sympathy for you.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

No, because the forum guidelines prohibit discussion that involve illegal
activity. You might want to check the guidelines page under "rules."

Most if the forum members are not criminal street racers and do not want to be associated with criminal activities.

QUOTE=dvilin;1589313332]Just for you because you disapprove of street racing the thread should be deleted. Once again not everyone shares your view. Like it or not, street racing has been part of life since the first automobiles rolled off the old assembly line. Legal or not dangerous as it can be it is here to stay.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hiperf406
I doubt if you or your family were killed by street racers many on here including myself would have any sympathy for you.
Awww that's too bad, I was so looking forward to your sympathy...
Old 04-01-2015, 01:52 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

I find it hilarious there are still people blamimg the cops for this. As usual with criminals, its always the cops' fault.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 AM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Honestly, this could have been any number of us who got caught up in the moment.

And while I do not promote street racing, I have done it myself. But many times when I am tempted to get a good romp in, I also consider second and third order affects to include the consequences should I get caught by law enforcement.

Unless you NEVER (not once, ever) raced on the street or are guilty of exhibition of speed (whether you got caught or not), blasting these Corvette guys who were caught is hypocritical to say the least.

Yeah, it sucks for them....but how many of us really buy a Corvette or invest $$$ simply for car shows and posted limit cruises and not once ever testing some sort of performance limits out on the streets? I got it....."Take it to the track", but the track isn't always a convenience.

If you've never (not once ever) street raced, then good for your upstanding citizenship as a motor vehicle operator. For those that have (or do), this news story could have been any one of us.

Know who you are running with and consider the consequences to your actions. It only takes one moment of crazed abandon to experience a significant emotional event like these Corvette guys featured in the news.

By the way, anyone recognize any of them?
Very well put. I too fall into this thought process.

Get notified of new replies

To Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Well U8 DU5t, you got that wrong because you don't understand what "Cognitive Distraction" is. You should check out his link to educate yourself: http://www.fnal.gov/pub/traffic_safe...ing%203-10.pdf

IN PART:

Hands-free devices often are seen as a solution to the risks of driver distraction because they help eliminate two obvious risks – visual, looking away from the road and manual, removing your hands off of the steering wheel. However, a third type of distraction can occur when using cell phones while driving – cognitive, taking your mind off the road.

Hands-free devices do not eliminate cognitive distraction.

The amount of exposure to each risk is key. Crashes are a function of the severity of each risk and how often the risk occurs. Most people can recognize when they are visually or mechanically distracted and seek to disengage from these activities as quickly as possible. However, people typically do not realize when they are cognitively distracted, such as taking part in a phone conversation; therefore, the risk lasts much, much longer. This likely explains why researchers have not been able to find a safety benefit to hands-free phone conversations.
The National Safety Council has compiled more than 30 research studies and reports by scientists around the world that used a variety of research methods, to compare driver performance with handheld and hands-free phones. All of these studies show hands-free phones offer no safety benefit when driving (Appendix A). Conversation occurs on both handheld and hands-free phones. The cognitive distraction from paying attention to conversation – from listening and responding to a disembodied voice – contributes to numerous driving impairments. Specific driving risks are discussed in detail later in this paper. First, let us look at why hands-free and handheld cell phone conversations can impair your driving ability.

Hands-free devices offer no safety benefit when driving.

Hands-free devices do not eliminate cognitive distraction.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Radar detectors are illegal in some States, so please skip those threads or request they be shut down. Would not want you or your friends associated with criminal activities.
Originally Posted by crawfish333
No, because the forum guidelines prohibit discussion that involve illegal
activity. You might want to check the guidelines page under "rules."

Most if the forum members are not criminal street racers and do not want to be associated with criminal activities.

QUOTE=dvilin;1589313332]Just for you because you disapprove of street racing the thread should be deleted. Once again not everyone shares your view. Like it or not, street racing has been part of life since the first automobiles rolled off the old assembly line. Legal or not dangerous as it can be it is here to stay.
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bapd77
I find it hilarious there are still people blamimg the cops for this. As usual with criminals, its always the cops' fault.
I find cops hilarious.

Quick Reply: Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?