Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jimmy Johnsons C3 at Barrett Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 PM
tomdoc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as we are on the subject of WHEELS here. Thought I'd have some fun.... Drives me crazy when I hear wheels called RIMS. Forgive me if I'm wrong... But what are they? I always beleived rims where just that..... a rim with spokes tying it into a hub like on bycycles and spoked motorcycles. Wheels have a solid center either stamped or cast. Look in any owners maual and they refer to the round things that have tires mounted to them as "Wheels". Now of course you will see many wheels marketed as rims or if they are marketing to the young tuner group Rimzz. Would love to hear everybodys feed back on this !! LOL !! Guess I'm old school. As for the Jimmy Johnson wheels... Again I'm old school and like chrome or rallys. So what are they guys? Wheels or rims? Tom.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I saw it at BJ Scottsdale, and I liked it. Wheels are easily changed but these go pretty nicely with the overall theme of modern styling cues and tech on a classic body style.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:42 PM
GaToy
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
I also hope the black wheel fad fades.
That's not likely anytime soon. Since the EPA has gotten so strict in the chrome industry chrome is crap. All chrome now either peels or rusts. The first replacement was polished aluminum. But it's like brass you will be polishing forever. Powder coated wheels became popular because they are more durable and easier to clean. Unless they create a better, cheaper, and safer way to do it chrome is a dieing art.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom aluminum C3 Rallye wheels...

Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

What does a set of those run?
Sizes, backspace?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
What does a set of those run?
Sizes, backspace?
We made these for a custom C3 we are building for a customer. We can do them in any size and any backspacing as they are custom machined aluminum wheels. Email me at info@Heartlandcustoms.us and let me know what diameter and width you want and what you would like the center cap to look like and I can put you together a quote.

Jeff Page
Heartland Customs
Old 04-21-2015, 05:41 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Tomdoc,
First, hello from Toms River, right next door. I call them Rims because back in the day that's what we called them. I'm 53 if that matters. We never called them wheels. Back in high school (Lakewood) you were a cool dude if your car had A set of Crager Rims! Your probably correct to call them wheels though.
PS I just looked up an old Crager ad from the 1960's and it said,
Crager introduced the SS wheel and sales of these custom rims took off! Seems they are interchangable.
See ya around, I have a white 81

Last edited by chiefttp; 04-21-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Tomi72
Racer

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
slightly off topic, but looking at the pics of this car....are the 71 and later wheel arches flared more than 68-70? Those certainly look different than my 69...at least in those photos.
I think the wheels on the Jimmy Johnsson Vette have a bit too much backspace, maybe 4.5" instead of the stock 4" (assuming they are 8" wide). It's a small difference but imho that is what ruins the look.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
tomdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by chiefttp
Tomdoc,
First, hello from Toms River, right next door. I call them Rims because back in the day that's what we called them. I'm 53 if that matters. We never called them wheels. Back in high school (Lakewood) you were a cool dude if your car had A set of Crager Rims! Your probably correct to call them wheels though.
Crager introduced the SS wheel and sales of these custom rims took off! Seems they are interchangable.
Hey Chief, Thought I'd have some fun with that. We allways called them wheels.... Go figure and I am 53 also. Yup, we are neighbors I live in Brick off of Drumpoint Road and my office is in Toms River. Atlantic Dental, corner of Hooper and 37.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm off of Church Road, by OCC. see you around town Doc
Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
I saw it at BJ Scottsdale, and I liked it. Wheels are easily changed but these go pretty nicely with the overall theme of modern styling cues and tech on a classic body style.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Jeff, would love to se them on the C3 ,really sharp looking wheels..GTw what year C3 were they built for ?
Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 PM
tomdoc
Instructor

I'm off of Church Road, by OCC. see you around town Doc
Will do Chief !!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM
tomdoc
Instructor

Tomdoc,
Chief, I have a white 82, The red 68' roadster, and a 56. I may have seen you around town in your white 81. Let's catch up one day for a cruise !!, Tom.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tomdoc
As long as we are on the subject of WHEELS here. Thought I'd have some fun.... Drives me crazy when I hear wheels called RIMS. Forgive me if I'm wrong... But what are they? I always beleived rims where just that..... a rim with spokes tying it into a hub like on bycycles and spoked motorcycles. Wheels have a solid center either stamped or cast. Look in any owners maual and they refer to the round things that have tires mounted to them as "Wheels". Now of course you will see many wheels marketed as rims or if they are marketing to the young tuner group Rimzz. Would love to hear everybodys feed back on this !! LOL !! Guess I'm old school. As for the Jimmy Johnson wheels... Again I'm old school and like chrome or rallys. So what are they guys? Wheels or rims? Tom.
Back in the '50s I believe we referred to the "rims" as the painted/chromed part. The "wheel" was the whole thing. Just my 2cents. Have a great weekend, Bill
Old 07-18-2015, 12:28 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean_Fuller
Very nice car...BUT...I am old school and just don't get the "black wheel" thing at all. Don't care for the chrome trim all blacked out either. Other than that it looks great !
exactly
Old 07-18-2015, 12:51 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Sinister is what I would describe the car as..and done very well.

Black wheels for that build seem appropriate, but I agree, first thought of those particular ones remind me of space saver spare wheels.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Great restomod....I'm not a fan of black wheels but they look pretty good on that car...
Old 07-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

I think the black wheels and bumpers are to accent the sliver paint and match the lower side vent accent piece.

What could have been done is to have matched those pieces to the charcoal paint color used to accent the Hood's bulge. If I were going to do that, I would have made the T Tops match as well. All of this might be too Subtle of a change.

Not seeing car in person just in pictures in Vette and Here, I could be totally off base.

What I would like to see is owners an builders have the guts to do major body modifications to C3s and C2s. Nearly ever C2 or C3 build has the same body look to it. All the changes seem to be in engine compartment and interiors with big entertainment center behind the seats.

I will say that I'd rather do that on a C2 than a C3. C3 looks like it would be harder to do that with it's body due to curve of it. Probably require a 100% full body flare to side of car, Vs C2 were you can do a 90% or 95% of a full body flare and get away with it with a little imagination.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 07-18-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Johnsons C3 at Barrett Jackson