Sponsored by:

Horn starting blaring 0n 2004

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM
brucksch
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Horn starting blaring 0n 2004

About a mile from home this morning, the horn starts blaring. Had to pull off the road and disconnect it. Any ideas or history on this?
Note: a few weeks ago I had the smell of something electrical burning under the hood but could not locate it. Somewhere near the battery/relay compartment.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by brucksch
About a mile from home this morning, the horn starts blaring. Had to pull off the road and disconnect it. Any ideas or history on this?
Note: a few weeks ago I had the smell of something electrical burning under the hood but could not locate it. Somewhere near the battery/relay compartment.
Well, that doesn't sound good... pull the codes if any and post them...did you take out the battery and inspect for possible leaky battery or water intrusion on the floor board of passenger side? Lots of electrical stuff in that area...
you can take off the front passenger side wheel and there is an access panel to the PCM and more wiring in there... mice seem to like this area, very comfy place for them to establish a new home.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 04-15-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Sudden horn blowing is typical of the steering wheel horn membrane closing the circuit.

Not hard to determine if that is it. I doubt your "smell" in that location is related but I will not rule it out at this time.

Replacing the membrane is not hard and I have the DIY info at home.

I have the horn schematic at home and can post later for you.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:30 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Sudden horn blowing is typical of the steering wheel horn membrane closing the circuit.

Not hard to determine if that is it. I doubt your "smell" in that location is related but I will not rule it out at this time.

Replacing the membrane is not hard and I have the DIY info at home.

I have the horn schematic at home and can post later for you.
Why are the words common and typical associated with things that happen on a C5 that I've never even heard of happening before...then it seems it's always followed up with some "how to" remove, replace, rebuild, and a schematic to decipher... it's really starting to make me paranoid. I don't know if I'm qualified to be a C5 owner
Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM
brucksch
Racer

Disconnected the battery and waited a bit. Reconnected the battery and the car was fine.
The horn was constant not pulsing like an alarm.
I have not had time to check the codes yet.

If the horn membrane is the issue, why didn't my horn blow again after I reconnected the battery?

Last edited by brucksch; 04-15-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-15-2015, 07:32 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 245 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I have had the unexpected horn going off in the middle of rush hour traffic but was able to clear it both times it happened.)
How'd you manage to quiet it in mid-rush hour traffic?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:32 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,215 Likes on 775 Posts

I trying to understand the horn problem before it happens to me. With the owners that have had the sudden horn blowing issue, question, did you recently use your horn and do you use your horn occasionally? Is it a wear issue or a gremlin issue?

I already stop driving in the rain (wiper motor issue), diving in the night (headlight issue), stop rolling down the windows (window motor issue), stop using the auto seat adjustment (seat mechanism issue), only use Texaco gas (gas gage issue) , do not use my keyfab (not sure what needs to be replace if it fails), replace the battery every year so the car starts when I get in to drive, pray I do not get the Service Steering Column message, and now I have to worry about the friggin horn blowing. God, I love this car!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:14 PM
brucksch
Racer

In my case the horn is rarely is used and had not been used the morning this occurred. The car is also garage kept and does not see much water except when I wash it.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Did ya'll not read the common issues that can occur with the C5 posted above? Also this is the place where the world comes for help, so I believe you see an unusual amount of issues here which may skew perception. Horn membrane is easy fix if it turns out that is what it is...the 2 guru's (dadaroo and 8vette7)are already watching this thread waiting to help which should be comforting. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 245 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
First time it was just chance. I figured the switch that activated the horn (I now know it is the membrane) was stuck so I kept pressing and releasing different spots on the air bag. I found that if I pressed and held a certain spot the horn silenced. If I released it the horn started going off again. Held it until I could get off the road and find the fuse. When I got home to try and diagnose the problem it was gone. Came back again a few weeks later. I believe that the problem in my case is caused by the heat from the summer Arizona sun. I have a towel that I throw over the steering wheel if the car will sit in the heat/sun of the day and have not had a reoccurrence in a couple years. But I have a replacement membrane waiting to be installed if it happens again.
Thanks! Hopefully I won't need that info but ya never know... better to be prepared. I'll remember the towel trick if we end up relocating to Fla.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here is guidance on replacing the membrane.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sn-t-work.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586035480
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM
brucksch
Racer

Horn membrane ordered. In the mean time I have installed a quick disconnect switch for the horn in case it happens before I get it fixed.
I'm not looking forward to removing the air bag.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Don't be concerned about the air bag. Just disconnect the battery negative cable and wait 5 minutes. Remember you drive behind the air bag all the time and never even think about it.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:15 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Don't be concerned about the air bag. Just disconnect the battery negative cable and wait 5 minutes. Remember you drive behind the air bag all the time and never even think about it.
Thanks for the reminder Sam now I'll be a nervous wreck next time I drive...
Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM
brucksch
Racer

Finally had time to work on fixing my horn issue. The hardest part was getting the 2 screws out that hold the center section to the steering wheel. Everything else went fairly easy. Took about an hour of work but I kept watching the videos to be sure I was doing it correctly. Thanks for all the help.

Now how do I clean the center section that I took off? Seems like the plastic or rubber is deteriorating and trying to clean it makes it worse.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Is this your issue? One of the longest Threads on the Forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-melting.html

Get notified of new replies

To Horn starting blaring 0n 2004

Quick Reply: Horn starting blaring 0n 2004