C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new build thread, blower to TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

well i picked the car up yesterday... it drives like an absolute dream.. drives like a stock car. i noticed on the way home what the tuner was talking about... i worked on it a little this morning, i found some really loose clamps on the charge pipes so i tightened them and i also changed out my cam sensor wire as it was all spliced up and nasty.... took it for a ride and what do you know it drives mint!!!! finally, just need to get it back on the dyno so the tune can be finalized and ill be able to finally enjoy the car...
the car drives absolutely amazing. the valve train is no louder then a stock car, idles mint, cold start perfect, just so happy with how the car has turned out.

few vids
cold start, it takes a second to turn over, i forgot to let the fuel system prime before turning it over.... once it warms up and drops idle its so quiet. love it
Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by StealthFRC
well i picked the car up yesterday... it drives like an absolute dream.. drives like a stock car. i noticed on the way home what the tuner was talking about... i worked on it a little this morning, i found some really loose clamps on the charge pipes so i tightened them and i also changed out my cam sensor wire as it was all spliced up and nasty.... took it for a ride and what do you know it drives mint!!!! finally, just need to get it back on the dyno so the tune can be finalized and ill be able to finally enjoy the car...
the car drives absolutely amazing. the valve train is no louder then a stock car, idles mint, cold start perfect, just so happy with how the car has turned out.

few vids
cold start, it takes a second to turn over, i forgot to let the fuel system prime before turning it over.... once it warms up and drops idle its so quiet. love it
Woohoo! Time for a nice license plate
Old 04-27-2015, 10:25 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

yea man, I'm so happy it was something simple. just the to schedule another day for the rollers and ill be good. can't wait to just enjoy this dam car....
Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

well guys i brought it to the dyno yesterday for some final tuning. had the car running absolutely perfect, made one pull on 13psi and all was good, turn it up... hit 18psi and about 4400rpm and just hear a very loud pop... try to start the car, turns over like no compression. pull the oil cap, motor turns but rockers do not move... guess we snapped the timing chain. this blows it was a brand new cloyes double roller. ill know more in the next month or so, i left it at the shop, I'm done working on it... i just do not have the time anymore. the engine builder is willing to help out which is nice, we will see where it goes and if anything is salvageable... if there isn't I'm not sure what ill be doing.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:39 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

well guys i brought it to the dyno yesterday for some final tuning. had the car running absolutely perfect, made one pull on 13psi and all was good, turn it up... hit 18psi and about 4400rpm and just hear a very loud pop... try to start the car, turns over like no compression. pull the oil cap, motor turns but rockers do not move... guess we snapped the timing chain. this blows it was a brand new cloyes double roller. ill know more in the next month or so, i left it at the shop, I'm done working on it... i just do not have the time anymore. the engine builder is willing to help out which is nice, we will see where it goes and if anything is salvageable... if there isn't I'm not sure what ill be doing.
sorry to hear john..
I would be looking into harmonics..thats a brand new double roller something had to make that break
Old 05-30-2015, 12:46 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blown81bu
sorry to hear john..
I would be looking into harmonics..thats a brand new double roller something had to make that break
I think it's just parts failure. The cloyes makes the chain tight and takes all the slack out, I think it just got to tight. We will see when everything is pulled, is what it is at this point.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:48 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So sorry to hear. You just can't catch a break. I wouldn't **** with a double at all. Katech c5r with new stock gears and a ls2 style guide. Make sure the balancer is quality also.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:44 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride
So sorry to hear. You just can't catch a break. I wouldn't **** with a double at all. Katech c5r with new stock gears and a ls2 style guide. Make sure the balancer is quality also.
..this guy right on..its what I use
Old 05-30-2015, 08:37 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Yup, I've already been told what I should do with the new setup. C5r is on the top of the list. We will see what it needs when it's opened up, depending what it is will decide if I stick with the ls2 or go a different route.

I'm also going to get those short travel lifters out and go back to ls7's but this is all the Lear of my worries at this point
Old 05-30-2015, 08:59 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Man, really sorry to hear about your motor. GL with the next setup, I really hope it works out for you soon.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

That sux man, sorry to hear this. Your luck is as bad as mine.

I hope the damage is minimal.... I wonder if the chain failure is somehow related to when you had the valvetrain issues with the long push rods etc etc...? I couldn't imagine a double roller chain just breaking for no reason. HMMM..

I know how bad you feel right now...You're not alone. We should start a therapy group like AA for C5 owners with constant failures...LOL
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 PM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default .......

wow thats **** news just had a friend break a chain also ,blows, they traced it to a powerbond and broken oilpump gear
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

yea, we won't know till its pulled. its going to be a few weeks until then. the shop is very busy and this obviously wasn't scheduled. they are doing me a huge favor by taking on the job, i just have 0 time now.
just doesn't make sense, the car was running great... no noises nothing ran mint. everything was spot on....
the car has a IW balancer. guess we will find out when its opened up.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Well got some "good" news. Turbos are unharmed which is good.
At this point I'm very close to just having a new engine built. I'm leaning towards a sleeved ls3 427.
I'd have that built on the side and let the builder of my current engine take care of it then just sell it and cut my losses.

Decisions decisons.
I'm just curious what people's thoughts are with the larger engine and there turbos?
I'd like more off boost power etc.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:51 PM
slow ride
Drifting

It depends on the old parts condition. I'm so cheap I'd patch it up and run it but that's me. Let us know the condition of the heads and Pistons etc
Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slow ride
It depends on the old parts condition. I'm so cheap I'd patch it up and run it but that's me. Let us know the condition of the heads and Pistons etc
Regardless of like to order a whole new engine and not reuse anything, have the current one fixed and just sell it. I have a friend that would buy it for his Camaro.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Regardless of like to order a whole new engine and not reuse anything, have the current one fixed and just sell it. I have a friend that would buy it for his Camaro.
Would get done faster aswel

Get notified of new replies

To new build thread, blower to TT

Old 06-19-2015, 09:21 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Well I'm not sure about which one would make more peak power unless it's octane limited. The larger engine is going to feel thicker everywhere. Hell my 383 feels solid but I run e85. Either way a sleeved block will have stronger and longer liners to better support the piston at BDC.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't build an engine that big when turbo limited. Just do a stock stroke deal.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

my current engine is stock stroke and its never made the power i expected... its also a turd off boost.
i think the 6265's would be fine with a 427... I'm not after ever last bit of HP nor am i after peak numbers. I'm to the point that if I'm going to build another engine im going all out.
if my current engine can be fixed i already have a buyer for it.

Quick Reply: new build thread, blower to TT