C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air Gen IV, how much better air flow than Gen 2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Vintage Air Gen IV, how much better air flow than Gen 2?

I have the Gen 2 Vintage Air system in my 65, the air flow on high is not very good. There is a diff (not much) in the three speed settings, but not a lot of air flow. The air is cold but with little air flow it can not keep up.
I am going to dig around and see how it is hooked up, maybe the high fan is not hooked up like it should be.
Has anyone had both and is there a big diff in the air flow on the new system? I can buy just the Gen IV evap kit 561163 that goes inside the car and replace the Gen 2. Trying to find out if it would be worth it, gets dang hot here in AZ.

Chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 06-28-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My Gen IV air flow is as good as my 2013 Tundra truck. As I've stated several times on here, I have to turn the fan down to 1/2 to 3/4 of full velocity after about 20 minutes of driving in 98* Orlando heat. Never had a Gen II, but I had Nostalgic Air in my '67 Chevelle; the air flow was pathetic. No way back seat passengers would ever get any benefit. I could make a video tomorrow I guess of the system in the '63 if that would help. Typically, folks will hold up a tissue or paper towel in front of the nozzles at various speeds to demonstrate air flow. It makes all the difference.

Having said that I would definitely check out your fan controls and make sure they are correct so you aren't cheating yourself !

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-28-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:34 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

That would be helpful. I did not install the system, it was already in the car. I just can't believe the air should be this low in the high position.
I would say that it is about like the lowest setting on my 2014 Tacoma.
If yours works well in Florida, it should work well here.
I searched and did not find any comparison between the output of the two. I hate to spend the $775.00 if I don't have too, but it is a waste if there is no air flow.

thanks

chuck
Old 06-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Air flow is not the only benefit though. The GEN IV has the stepper motors so no funky cables and calibration routines for the controls...
Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my Gen 4 blows crazy hard, hardly ever use it on high, maybe the original installer has ducts loose and loosing air flow or possibly collapsed ducts. I would check that first.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:34 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gator79
my Gen 4 blows crazy hard, hardly ever use it on high, maybe the original installer has ducts loose and loosing air flow or possibly collapsed ducts. I would check that first.
Ducts are hooked up and good, red power wire goes down to the starter area not direct to the battery.
It might work better going directly to the Battery. I have a 120 amp alternator.

So far everyone with a Gen IV sounds happy, any Gen 2 have good luck?
Does your Gen 2 have good air output?

thanks

chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 06-29-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:51 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Manufacturer tech support?

Have you asked the Vintage Air folks? I'm sure they'd love to sell you some new hardware, but I hope that they would be straight with you about whether or not the Gen IV provides enhanced air flow compared to Gen II, and if so, why.

Steve
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by TXSTICK
Ducts are hooked up and good, red power wire goes down to the starter area not direct to the battery.
It might work better going directly to the Battery. I have a 120 amp alternator.
No....it won't -- the best place to hook up the power lead is at the horn relay power buss. That is where the voltage regulator 'senses' the car's need so it can control the alternator output. Lots of information on this on the Mad Electric web site.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I have the Gen II VA in my 65. The air flow is good and I will be turning it down to the second level after a while. That being said, I have experience with a Gen IV at the Corvette shop. It is a much better system. I contacted VA to see if I could reasonably convert it but they said I would have to pretty much change out the entire system.
I would check your wiring. Also, check to see that the ducting is not squished which will restrict the air flow.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
No....it won't -- the best place to hook up the power lead is at the horn relay power buss. That is where the voltage regulator 'senses' the car's need so it can control the alternator output. Lots of information on this on the Mad Electric web site.
Please clarify what terminal that is. Is that where the large red wire connects? If I remember right there are two red wires going to the relay. Sorry if this is a dumb question but electrical is not my strong suit. (obviously)
A pic would be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can provide a picture later today after I get done with some household chores I've put off way too long (or so I've been told).

Yes, the attachment point is the bundle of red wires at the horn relay...this is where the voltage regulator 'senses' the amount of regulation to provide to the alternator. Hooking up directly to the battery invokes the slight voltage drop across the heavy red wire in the circuit. Its not much but even a slight voltage drop can affect alternator output as regulated by the V/R. For high-power equipment even a slight mis-regulation can affect performance pretty dramatically; be that aftermarket headlight relays, stereo amplifiers or air conditioners.

Mad Electric covers this extensively in the technical section of their web site:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...esensing.shtml

Its interesting because once I swapped power from my A/C from the battery to the horn relay I saw an instant difference in how the dash ammeter reacted to the load...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-29-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here is the video of the Vintage Air A/C in my '63. The PS nozzle was easiest to get too for the demo - the DS blows just as strong. The side console vents blow very strongly as well even though they are essentially vertical slots blowing in a fixed direction...

As I stated earlier, I have to turn the blower down once I'm moving and the A/C has gotten the cabin down to a comfortable temp....enjoy !!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a Gen II unit and have always been disappointed in the amount of air flow. I have worked a lot on minimizing "crushes" in the flexible ducts. The only time I turn my fan off high is at night and cloudy not so hot days.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:38 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Here is the video of the Vintage Air A/C in my '63. The PS nozzle was easiest to get too for the demo - the DS blows just as strong. The side console vents blow very strongly as well even though they are essentially vertical slots blowing in a fixed direction...

As I stated earlier, I have to turn the blower down once I'm moving and the A/C has gotten the cabin down to a comfortable temp....enjoy !!

YouTube
I tried three browsers and could not view the video.

It wants me to sign in. Its says it is private.

chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 06-29-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

I talked to tech support for vintage air and was told I should hook 12v up to the three motor connections one at a time and see if all three work and at diff speeds. He also said check for smashed or bent flex tube.
I already did the check for the bent tubes, but will have to check the motor this weekend. He said it should put out as much air as the gen IV version.

chuck
Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Youtube says the video is public...
still doesn't work, at least for me; it's just a .png image
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 06-30-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Early this year I switched from Gen II to Gen IV in my '65 roadster while enjoying an Arizona spring. Airflow in the Gen II was satisfactory, and the three speeds were distinctly different in volume of air pushed (or at least the noise that would fool one into thinking that).

What I hated about Gen II was fighting with the cables, especially the temp/blower cable. It was always full heat or full AC, so the Gen IV infinitely adjustable controls are a huge improvement. I thoroughly enjoyed a trip in June from AZ through Texas to Illinois and had fewer complaints from the spousal unit than ever before.

Bonus discovery when installing the Gen IV evaporator:the E-Z Clip hose system. I pulled full vacuum after using E-Z Clip hoses and it held perfectly for 48 hours before charging the new system.

I'll never go back to the traditional hose and crimps after using E-Z Clip!

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air Gen IV, how much better air flow than Gen 2?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
still doesn't work, at least for me; it's just a .png image
Bill
Same here...?
Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
Early this year I switched from Gen II to Gen IV in my '65 roadster while enjoying an Arizona spring. Airflow in the Gen II was satisfactory, and the three speeds were distinctly different in volume of air pushed (or at least the noise that would fool one into thinking that).

What I hated about Gen II was fighting with the cables, especially the temp/blower cable. It was always full heat or full AC, so the Gen IV infinitely adjustable controls are a huge improvement. I thoroughly enjoyed a trip in June from AZ through Texas to Illinois and had fewer complaints from the spousal unit than ever before.

Bonus discovery when installing the Gen IV evaporator:the E-Z Clip hose system. I pulled full vacuum after using E-Z Clip hoses and it held perfectly for 48 hours before charging the new system.

I'll never go back to the traditional hose and crimps after using E-Z Clip!

That's very good to know...my chassis builder likes them too.

I'm going to reroute my AC hoses and have been considering using the E-Z Clip hoses since they are sooo much easier to customize.

I believe I just made up my mind....lol.

Thanks for the tip.

Stan
Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Yea, I hate to drop another $775.00 so I will try everything else first.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Gen IV, how much better air flow than Gen 2?