Sponsored by:

Lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Lesson learned

I had purchased a Champion radiator with 4 rows. Looked like a lot of radiator for the price.

Went to install it and while hooking up the trans cooler lines I stripped out the lower port. So I then had the AN -6 fittings welded directly to both ports. Came out looking good.
Got it back home and decided to leak check the internal oil cooler
Connected 2 AN fittings with hose and a "T" for the air hose.
Filled radiator with water then put the air to it......sounded like an aquarium.
So now that I've wasted $$ I'll go with the DeWitts
I know its all aluminum and I have always been gental. I guess I just put a little more wrist torque than I thought to it.

Not the end of the would but irritating.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Curiously so many people here love that champion and the value do you believe its your fault or a bad one?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Curiously so many people here love that champion and the value do you believe its your fault or a bad one?
I beleive it to be my fault.

I did think the Champion looked like a quality radiator.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

I would line to hear the comparison of Chanpion to DeWitts.

I have heard a lot of good on the DeWitts here on the forum.

I'm not blaming the Champion. It was my fault, however I need to buy another radiator.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:32 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

I do not believe the Dewitts vs ___________ ( fill in name of budget import unit ) will ever have a real end,

A few years ago before my 69 went down I was doing some bat cave testing of electric fans on my 454 and unknown condition stock looking radiator, I am in florida and cruising the temp would creep up when stopped at idle this is the result of either not enough air flow and or not enough radiator which could be a radiator that is too small or old and plugged up not working 100%.
I put in more time than I care to admit researching the budget radiators and I get "weird" about stuff support on the imports wasn't what it is today and I did ante up and I bought a Dewitts special built for me, it's a work of art and did cost at least double what I could have bought a budget unit for, I believe it will cool as good or likely better than any radiator the same size.
Now I did want the most cooling I could get and with all said and done for me if I had to do over I would buy a budget unit for many reasons including a "name" isn't worth a penny extra to me and a few personal reasons I will not get into here,
A Dewitts looks like art work compared to the imports, I am told they always fit perfect where at times the imports need fitting help,
I will say that a lot of people are very happen with their budget radiators and they are taking over the market but if a person wants things simple and have the extra money then be assured that a Dewitts will work and if it doesn't Mr Dewitt is a call or email away.
Unless someone chimes in something that shocks me I believe 100% of Dewitts buyers are more than happy with the radiator.

If I was in your shoes I would not buy a whole new radiator because of the tranny cooler when I got my 69 the trans cooler in the radiator had pipe plugs in it there was small aftermarket trans cooler in front of the raditor, it's wasn't very big, the big ones are for people who need "extra" cooling, towing etc you only need a small one, point is it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than even the shipping of any new full radiator,
Likely the junk yard is full of factory add on coolers that would work also.
Just a $$$ saving thought
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggitated Monkey
I'm not blaming the Champion. It was my fault, however I need to buy another radiator.
So I'm confused, what was the lesson you learned?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the lesson learned is take your time when threading on flared fittings. you would have ruined a de-witts just the same. not the radiators fault...

you could also just plug the cooler and add an aftermarket trans cooler to save the $500+ of a new radiator. or trade it to someone who has a stick. I don't use the cooler on my champion at all...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:13 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

The 2nd main reason I purchased a DeWitt's radiator was that all the others I looked at had an automatic transmission oil cooler built in...which is not needed or wanted in a 4-speed car...Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by bashcraft
So I'm confused, what was the lesson you learned?
I didn't cross thread but I did over torque. I take blame, however I'm also thinking the Champions aluminum may be a little soft. seems like it was just too easy to damage.

I have been in Aviation for 42 years so I know the extra care it takes to work with aluminum.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I am gonna wait around and see how this post turns out.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Scrappy the end result is easy to predict even with my crystal ball in the attic, if monkey has an extra 500 plus to spend just because, he will buy a Dewitts if he is on any kind of budget he will at the least try a add on tranny cooler.....

And yes, a built in cooler on a stick shift car is a big old waste...unless you want to cool some other fluid with it....
Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Scrappy the end result is easy to predict even with my crystal ball in the attic, if monkey has an extra 500 plus to spend just because, he will buy a Dewitts if he is on any kind of budget he will at the least try a add on tranny cooler.....

And yes, a built in cooler on a stick shift car is a big old waste...unless you want to cool some other fluid with it....
I'm with you Bats. I'm still thinking.

Here are my options as I see them.

1. Put caps on the damaged radiator oil cooler and run an external cooler.

2. Buy another Champion.

3. Go with the DeWitts. I also called DeWitts and I can have them add in a better internal oil cooler with AN 6 fittings installed.

Not concern with cost of cooling as I am with the investment I have in this engine and 700r4.

I lean towards option 3. Just going to give it a day.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by gungatim
I think the lesson learned is take your time when threading on flared fittings. you would have ruined a de-witts just the same. not the radiators fault...

you could also just plug the cooler and add an aftermarket trans cooler to save the $500+ of a new radiator. or trade it to someone who has a stick. I don't use the cooler on my champion at all...
Yep!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I wanted peace of mind and bought dewitts thinking at that time it was not gamble of buying import that it would likey cool my car, a few years later and a ton of feedback on here and other places I know my dewitts will cool my car and I know some of the imports would cool my car....but I believe dewitts is made better than any of the imports and they sure look better,

What the added costs from Dewitts will get you that the imports will never give you is some hands on, while I do not see eye to eye with Dewitts on electric fans I do highly respect their product and workmanship on radiators, if they make you a custom one it will be top shelf, not cheap but like I said they are a phone call away and while you "can" call champion they are not car/vette savvy.

If you go with a new radiator what are you going to do with the one you have?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Installed my Champion. hooked up the cooler, no issues seems to be a reasonable unit but time will tell.

Dave
Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Phantom
Installed my Champion. hooked up the cooler, no issues seems to be a reasonable unit but time will tell.

Dave
I don't have s problem with Champion. I had a self induced problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Aggitated........post that Champion in Parts For Sale......with an explanation!

Somebody gets a deal.......You get a good dowpayment on a DeWitts!

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson learned

Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

I wanted peace of mind and bought dewitts thinking at that time it was not gamble of buying import that it would likey cool my car, a few years later and a ton of feedback on here and other places I know my dewitts will cool my car and I know some of the imports would cool my car....but I believe dewitts is made better than any of the imports and they sure look better,

What the added costs from Dewitts will get you that the imports will never give you is some hands on, while I do not see eye to eye with Dewitts on electric fans I do highly respect their product and workmanship on radiators, if they make you a custom one it will be top shelf, not cheap but like I said they are a phone call away and while you "can" call champion they are not car/vette savvy.

If you go with a new radiator what are you going to do with the one you have?
Yep. Thought on it enough. Going for my option 3. For the reason of custom addition of the oil cooler I'm going with De Witts. I will order it tomorrow.

As far as cost I have way too much into it but that would be another thread. Not sure I want to admit the $$$$ I have in this car. And I did all the work. When I'm done it will still need a paint job. LOL!

But it's what I wanted and I never considered a return. I'm just going to enjoy it. I'm guessing at 59 it may be my last build.

I could give the Chanpion to someone who wants or needs it for shipping cost. With the ports capped it will run just fine.

Lession learned....don't get aggressive while tighting lines in any aluminum radiator.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:25 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Aggitated Monkey
Yep. Thought on it enough. Going for my option 3. For the reason of custom addition of the oil cooler I'm going with De Witts. I will order it tomorrow.

As far as cost I have way too much into it but that would be another thread. Not sure I want to admit the $$$$ I have in this car. And I did all the work. When I'm done it will still need a paint job. LOL!

But it's what I wanted and I never considered a return. I'm just going to enjoy it. I'm guessing at 59 it may be my last build.

I could give the Chanpion to someone who wants or needs it for shipping cost. With the ports capped it will run just fine.

Lession learned....don't get aggressive while tighting lines in any aluminum radiator.
I would love to do tests my dewitts vs that champion but I do not "need" it and it would be a far better idea for some cat who needs it to get it.....
I hit you a email....
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Mistakes are part of life. It's really not important to figure out who's to blame. Don't beat yourself up over it. The task at hand is the remedy. If it's in the budget and you believe the best solution is the Dewitt's buy it. You won't be disappointed. On the other hand if you want to save some money to right the wrong go with the external cooler.
I think you already know what you are going to do.

Quick Reply: Lesson learned