Sponsored by:

Does anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 PM
e.dandrea
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know?

Hey folks, new member and first time corvette owner. I purchased a 1976 corvette. I wanted to make sure the birdcage was in decent to great shape so I remove the windshield and the cage is fine. I removed all the glue and doing so there were 6 upper reveal molding clips for the trim that were not screwed into the windshield frame, only 4, the left and right outer 2. But what I need to know is, are they supposed to be screwed in from the factory, because there were no holes drilled? Or was someone to lazy on the assembly line to do it? Before I start to drill holes I want to make sure? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Before you start to drill holes, purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your model year. The AIM shows the installation of the clips. Some of them may not have required screws, hence no holes. Before calling anyone lazy, you should take a look at how things were assembled.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 08-05-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

They are screwed to the header bar. But the screws are very small and difficult to remove due to their size and the inevitable rust that develops around them. Use an old tooth brush and solvent to expose the screws and then soak them in a 50/50 mix of acetone and auto-trans fluid for at least a day to loosen the rust before you attempt to remove them. And as posted above, get an AIM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The OUTER LEFT and RIGHT molding clips are screwed in (2 on each side). I have encountered the molding clips BETWEEN these four molding clips are slid onto or clipped UNDER the FRONT EDGE of the large "T' shaped stainless trim that covers the windshield frame. I have seen it MANY TIMES and they are NOT screwed into the frame.....and these were on Corvettes that were not modified.

YES...I agree..you need to have an assembly manual.

DUB
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 AM
e.dandrea
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much guys, I will get the AIM for sure but I feel much better knowing that it has been seen many times that the middle clips were not screwed in!

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know?

Quick Reply: Does anyone know?