C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Hood - No really stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Stuck Hood - No really stuck

I have a 73 that I had the hood off for radiator work. Went back on seemed ok, so I shut it. Apparently the passenger side was misaligned enough that is not only latched up. It will release or pop up maybe 3/4" when you pull the cable but is locked on something in the mechanism. The driver side releases fully.

[B]Here is what I have tried.

- someone inside pulling cable and lifting at same time, no luck.
- Made a tool to hook the cable in almost the center and pulled but no change.

Common reliefs looked at from forum search

- Can not get to the "plug in the wiper channel or can not see it as the passenger side only comes up maybe 3/4". Does not help that I added years ago the plastic piece to cover the channel.
- Can not see the bolts holding the locking cone down so I can grind them off from below. Seems VIR for A/C is blocking.
- Can not get to the hinges from the headlight area or underneath. Thought I could loosen them up and move the hood.

Has anyone has a 73 or 74 with AC ever had a stuck hood? Any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:17 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

There is one fairly painless way to do it. The two nuts holding the right side hood hinge are visible in the wheel well. You can cut or grind them off along with the hinge hold down bolts. This will release the right side hinge allowing you to move the hood and release the rear of the hood from the post. You will then require two new bolts and a couple of nuts. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:22 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Thanks, that is an excellent idea. Know what you mean, they are the ones holding the hinge to the front part of the frame. Quick work for a cutoff tool.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:55 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I have found I can actually trip the left side hood latch in my '71 by jacking it way up and reaching up from the bottom.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:08 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
I have found I can actually trip the left side hood latch in my '71 by jacking it way up and reaching up from the bottom.
That's great for you, but his passenger side is stuck.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:11 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You may have already tried, but hold down the driver's side while someone pulls the release. It would help if you had a third person pulling up on the passenger side at the same time to try to relieve the bind. If that doesn't work, open it as far as you can and push left and right on the cowl side of the hood and up and down at the same time. You've got to get it out from under the cone.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

When I was at my wits end w/a stuck hood I tried only grinding off the stuck side hinge bolts to no avail. Both sides ground off, problem solved!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,127 Likes on 733 Posts

Try parking the car in the sun, the hood will expand, worked for a friend.
Sometimes the mushroom gets stuck in the gap between the latch and the hood, when it is out of adjustment.

good luck
Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 AM
ZackTorigian171
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just happened to me. the mushroom is misaligned and hung up. I had to go from underneath and move parts out of my way to get my hand up underneath the hood and remove the adjustment nuts and remove the whole mechanism. EXTREMELY time consuming and painful but its the cleanest way to do it.

Last thing you can try is reaching up from under the car again but on the driver side and manually push the release lever with your finger. you can open the release alot farther then the cable will.

Google pics to see what im talking about if you cant picture it
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Originally Posted by gjohnson
When I was at my wits end w/a stuck hood I tried only grinding off the stuck side hinge bolts to no avail. Both sides ground off, problem solved!
Do you mean the bolts that go through the bottom of the hood hinge and through the fender. If so, I guess you had to grind off the nuts welded to the plate also,.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:00 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Thanks to all for the ideas. Will work on it this weekend. Talked to a Corvette dealer/repair shop/body shop her in Chicago. They said it can take from 5 minutes to several hours. Bet this one will on the high end and from replies not an easy job no matter how you cut it. You can just bet when I get this thing open and aligned there will be safety cables on the latches!!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Originally Posted by 65GGvert
That's great for you, but his passenger side is stuck.
When I put the l88 high rise hood on, I got in a hury and did nothing to ensure that it was aligned, I closed the hood and with almost identical result's the hood wouldn't open. I used a hooked bar and hooked the cable from below and got it to open. How ever it sounds like the op tried this in a way already, he hooked the cable in the center and tried working it. He could try closer to the passenger's side latch. another thing to try is pushing and pulling on the top of the hood in a horzontal motion from front to back and side to side in efforts to reach the sweet spot, the hazard here is getting a little western with it and cracking or damaging the hood. I never heard or thought of cutting the bolts on the back side of the latch, but that sounds like a real solid solution. Good luck
Old 08-28-2015, 11:42 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

Grinding off the hinge nuts in the fender wells is the fastest way. Trust me! With a good grinding wheel 5mins a side.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

If the mushroom is stuck, safety wires won't help.

I took the mushrooms and machined a thicker lip so now they can't get stuck. Basically I cut the diameter down at the base / the lower lip, thus creating a taller flat spot.

I am still working on the car so the hood has been on / off a few times.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:56 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

To save this from happening again, cover the latch holes with masking tape and put a small dab of grease on the tip of each mushroom point. then lower the hood down enough to make grease marks on the tape and make sure they are adjusted to the center of the opening.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM
labhound
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a pita to get adjusted correctly.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

I use 2 sections of PVC, each one cut about 2.5 to 3" inches long. I put then into the catch. Close the hood and the mushrooms fit into the pipe and adjust the mushrooms to fit. Makes it easy to locate.

then
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM
labhound
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I may try that, it closes now so I'm not touching it..
Old 09-05-2015, 07:05 AM
spinadog
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could try jacking up one front corner of the car slightly, then open.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck Hood - No really stuck

Quick Reply: Stuck Hood - No really stuck