C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Run Flat or to Non Run Flat, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:46 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I have Firehawks RF, and the ride is smooth, and have no worries of being stranded.
Try to plug a non-runflat at night or in the rain, NFW!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I have run both and prefer the non rf.

In the end is is about your level of comfort regarding ride and the possibility of flats.

If you are going to worry about it get the best riding rf.

RF's are more $.

The handling and ride of my non rf Bridgestone S0-4's, along with the $860 out the door cost has me smiling.

Mine is not a DD and I am rarely out at night, also I do not stray too bad parts of town.

If a everyday driver and out at night often and drive all over maybe a good riding rf is your answer.

Could not have said it better Boomer. I too use mine more for a weekend warrior with a road trip thrown in there from time to time. After much consideration I went with the Firestone Fire Hawk non-rf's. The car has been on two road trips, one 5000 miles, and one 3500 miles. I will say that with the non-rf's the 3500 mile road trip was much more comfortable than the one with the GY runcraps. Without the bumty bumps, and road noise it was a very relaxing road trip.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 11-30-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I'm ready to replace the OEM Goodyears on my Grand Sport and am going with the Bridgestone RE050A Potenza runflat.

I drive my Vette about 20k miles a year and am not going to risk a catastrophic tire failure while in the middle of nowhere. I've had two of those in the not-too-distant past that were not repairable by plugs and/or Slime and a compressor.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Me, too...but, having said that, I cannot remember my last flat tire.
That's just what I used to say,...until I got a flat last August on a 97* day, wearing good clothes.
I was very glad I had the RF tires. Drove to a tire shop about 20 miles away and had it repaired, nice!

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Try to plug a non-runflat at night or in the rain, NFW!
Common sense!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm 53, and have never had a blowout. I guess I've been lucky. And since I don't take my Vette on long trips very often, I decided to switch to non-run-flats.

And, FWIW, we just bought a new Jeep Cherokee for my wife. It did't come with a spare tire, only an emergency fix-a-flat / pump kit. Many cars are going that route, unfortunately.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Run Craps are just that...crap. I daily my GS, and I've had a blow out on the toll way doing 70mph, but I still wouldn't put a run flat on my car..

You can see the blow out happen at 0:07 in. How did I deal with the situation? I pulled over into a busy/safe parking lot, and got the tire fixed in the morning.

I don't much see the point in buying a performance car to simply nerf the performance by playing it safe with crappy tires. I'd sooner buy the replacement warranty from Discount and a gold membership from AAA. Both are cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by MBB; 11-30-2015 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikez40 (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Why is it that RF's have more blowouts than non RF's???

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-for-run-flats

http://jalopnik.com/everyone-hates-r...ires-464884753

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-30-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Why is it that RF's have more blowouts than non RF's???
Sidewall construction.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:29 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I was going back and forth between super sports and super sport zp

Went with the zp ( on order ) after others telling me Horror stories abut
Tow trucks .

About $350 differance .
And they are Standard on the new c7

Hope I made the right choice .
Old 11-30-2015, 08:56 PM
redrider
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season ZP six months ago. Smooth. Quiet. Sticky. Happy.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:10 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No spare, no jack and no lug wrench = Run flats only for me.

I don't get any joy out of having to plug a tire in the dark, raining and on the side of the road.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:28 AM
flyint
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just about to replace the original Goodyears and I am leaning towards the Michelin RF. I have AAA and a cell, but I think getting the car on the flatbed without damaging the splitter would be nearly impossible. I also just like the peace of mind of having the RF's...
Seems that it's a personal choice for everyone.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flyint
Just about to replace the original Goodyears and I am leaning towards the Michelin RF. I have AAA and a cell, but I think getting the car on the flatbed without damaging the splitter would be nearly impossible. I also just like the peace of mind of having the RF's...
Seems that it's a personal choice for everyone.
Are you lower than stock ride height? What splitter are you running? I won't run a ZR1 splitter because it would just get destroyed as low as I am.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM
darrins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you buy a 50k plus sports car and limit its performance and comfort every single second you drive it because your concerned about a flat that will probably never even happen? I went from OEM Goodyear RF's to Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Position non run flats and the difference was unexpectedly shocking. I'll go with non RF's and a AAA membership.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by darrins
Why would you buy a 50k plus sports car and limit its performance and comfort every single second you drive it because your concerned about a flat that will probably never even happen?
Because old men. I mean... they want that peace of mind for their weekend trip to the supermarket with the wife, the monthly trip to cars and coffee, or their yearly retirement tour of the USA. The cars probably live under a cover for the rest of the time anyway. Gotta keep that plastic car safe and all that. :p

Last edited by MBB; 12-01-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:47 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by darrins
Why would you buy a 50k plus sports car and limit its performance and comfort every single second you drive it because your concerned about a flat that will probably never even happen? I went from OEM Goodyear RF's to Bridgestone Potenza S0-4 Pole Position non run flats and the difference was unexpectedly shocking. I'll go with non RF's and a AAA membership.
I'm not sure why you think the stock tires limit the performance of the car?
The stock tires are used to track the cars for testing and by car magazines, and they post respectable lap times on the stock tires. In fact the test wouldn't be fair otherwise.
I doubt the people who argue about loss of performance could even match the lap times posted on stock tires by professionals, even with their non run flats! So I think it is a moot point unless you track your car in competition and you can exceed the limitations of the stock tires to the point it is hurting your lap times. You having that problem? I didn't think so!
Old 12-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by MBB
Because old men. I mean... they want that peace of mind for their weekend trip to the supermarket with the wife, the monthly trip to cars and coffee, or their yearly retirement tour of the USA. The cars probably live under a cover for the rest of the time anyway. Gotta keep that plastic car safe and all that. :p

I'm an old guy with non-run flats. Be careful, God willing you'll be an old guy some day.

Get notified of new replies

To To Run Flat or to Non Run Flat, that is the question

Old 12-01-2015, 02:40 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by db2012gs
I'm not sure why you think the stock tires limit the performance of the car?
The stock tires are used to track the cars for testing and by car magazines, and they post respectable lap times on the stock tires. In fact the test wouldn't be fair otherwise.
I doubt the people who argue about loss of performance could even match the lap times posted on stock tires by professionals, even with their non run flats! So I think it is a moot point unless you track your car in competition and you can exceed the limitations of the stock tires to the point it is hurting your lap times. You having that problem? I didn't think so!
If you ran the stock run crap back to back with a performance tire you'd see noticeable improvements in your lap times. Not a pro's lap times, YOUR lap times. The stock tire isn't bad for a stock tire...it's absolute crap for all out performance.

The point is moot because you're trying to justify your choices... I've noticed the difference because I actually push my car on the street and on the track. The difference is night and day. For you to say otherwise shows your lack of experience on the matter.

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I'm an old guy with non-run flats. Be careful, God willing you'll be an old guy some day.
Amen brother. I was just teasing of course.

Last edited by MBB; 12-01-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:49 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Well if any of you NON RF tire people buy a new Corvette and dislike the RF's that much, i will gladly take them off your hands!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I'm 53, and have never had a blowout. I guess I've been lucky. And since I don't take my Vette on long trips very often, I decided to switch to non-run-flats.

And, FWIW, we just bought a new Jeep Cherokee for my wife. It did't come with a spare tire, only an emergency fix-a-flat / pump kit. Many cars are going that route, unfortunately.
Totally agree.
And i am 63 and never had a blowout. Side wall blowouts are specialty of run flats. Catastrophic tire failures are less than rare in non run flats. Also my new dd comes with non run flats and no spare. My spare tire in my last dd, another volvo that was 14 years old with 180K miles was brand new, never used once. Did i not have punctures or screws? Sure! But all was slow leaks repairable at my convenience. So i also put my bet on non run flats and enjoy its price, comfort, stop and go and long life. If chit happens it happens and she will be fixed on the side of the road like we old timers had to do 45 years ago dealing with tubed tires. No big deal. I do not live my life in fear. However whatever makes you happy.

Quick Reply: To Run Flat or to Non Run Flat, that is the question