Sponsored by:

2016 Engine Sound Management??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:02 AM
IELAC7
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2016 Engine Sound Management??

So to begin I had already looked into being able to control the NPP thru the settings in the head unit. So today I finally went in and decided to change it in my 2016. But when I get in there there are more than two options as there were in the 2014 and I assume 2015. Now there is Auto, Stealth, Touring, Sport and Track. Why all the options? I thought it was simple, valves either open or closed, that's it. What's the difference better sport and track?

I did my due diligence and researched it but couldn't find any info on this.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:18 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by IELAC7
So to begin I had already looked into being able to control the NPP thru the settings in the head unit. So today I finally went in and decided to change it in my 2016. But when I get in there there are more than two options as there were in the 2014 and I assume 2015. Now there is Auto, Stealth, Touring, Sport and Track. Why all the options? I thought it was simple, valves either open or closed, that's it. What's the difference better sport and track?

I too would like to understand the difference between settings Touring, Sport and Track.

Auto & Stealth are straight forward.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 05-02-2016 at 02:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jpiatchek (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 02:39 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I couldn't find anything that fully explained what each mode does. I'm curious too. Does each mode just open the valves a certain percentage with track being 100%?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The only way to keep the exhaust valves open all the time is to remove fuse number 42 in the 2016 and 2015. For the 2014 it is fuse 41. Removing the fuse is NOT the same as Track mode. With the fuse pulled, then NPP exhaust valves will NEVER shut. With the fuse, even in Track mode, the valves still close at times at certain rpm's. Varying degrees for the other modes. I have just pulled fuse 42 because I want the valves open all the time in all modes.

Last edited by joemessman; 05-02-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

15s and 16s have the same software. I don't know the specific differences between Sport, Tour and Track. This tread is a good read on the operation of the system.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-result.html The first post has been updated over the last two years as new information has been discovered.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Supposedly the valves stay open longer in track than sport. I could not see or hear any difference. I ended up pulling the fuse so the valves are open 100% of the time.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:33 AM
IELAC7
Instructor

Hmmm I see. Now let me ask something else, if I were to keep it in touring and keep the car in track mode could I damage anything or will the car not run at its best? Reason why I ask is I have read that some tracks have a db limit and the performance exhaust is over that limit when valves are open. So maybe this would be a good option but maybe the map requires NPP open for optimal I performance.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

From what I've been able to gather you have 4 exhaust settings (Eco/Stealth, Tour, Sport, Track). Eco/Stealth and Tour are the same in many low RPM situations (due to back pressure for idle), while Sport and Track are the same in low RPM situations (due to noise). I'm not sure if the exhaust has actually gained granularity over the 4 model years or if you could only put it in Auto or Track modes in 2014/15.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:04 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Supposedly the valves stay open longer in track than sport. I could not see or hear any difference. I ended up pulling the fuse so the valves are open 100% of the time.
At idle I 100% notice the difference between Stealth/Tour vs Sport/Track. Once you get the engine up in the RPM range the differences between all 4 are also clear.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
At idle I 100% notice the difference between Stealth/Tour vs Sport/Track. Once you get the engine up in the RPM range the differences between all 4 are also clear.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:34 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I discovered today there's a difference between Sport and Track mode during steady-state cruising at 70 m.p.h. In 7th gear, I'm turning around 1500 r.p.m., but there's more volume in Track mode than in Sport.

I think I'd like to run the Track mode exhaust in the Track, Sport, and Tour settings, and have a much quieter mode linked to Eco and Weather. This way I have a quiet car when I need to start it in my neighborhood at 4 a.m., and a more satisfying sound the rest of the time.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to link different exhaust modes to the different drive modes. It seems like it's either "auto", which is what I have now, or one universal setting for every mode. Neither of these allows me to achieve what I'd like with the exhaust settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just came here to search and this is the first thread I found. Off to do more research.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:08 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I discovered today there's a difference between Sport and Track mode during steady-state cruising at 70 m.p.h. In 7th gear, I'm turning around 1500 r.p.m., but there's more volume in Track mode than in Sport.

I think I'd like to run the Track mode exhaust in the Track, Sport, and Tour settings, and have a much quieter mode linked to Eco and Weather. This way I have a quiet car when I need to start it in my neighborhood at 4 a.m., and a more satisfying sound the rest of the time.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to link different exhaust modes to the different drive modes. It seems like it's either "auto", which is what I have now, or one universal setting for every mode. Neither of these allows me to achieve what I'd like with the exhaust settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just came here to search and this is the first thread I found. Off to do more research.
I was looking for the same thing but couldn't find anything. Wanted the sport exhaust in touring and sport but stealth in Eco and weather. Can't seem to find anything tho.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
The only way to keep the exhaust valves open all the time is to remove fuse number 42 in the 2016 and 2015. For the 2014 it is fuse 41. Removing the fuse is NOT the same as Track mode. With the fuse pulled, then NPP exhaust valves will NEVER shut. With the fuse, even in Track mode, the valves still close at times at certain rpm's. Varying degrees for the other modes. I have just pulled fuse 42 because I want the valves open all the time in all modes.
I understand from those who say pull fuse 42 if we want the valves open all the time in all modes.

The only thing that confuses me is this; when I start the car then select "Track" all valve open AND STAY OPEN even when I idle the car for an extended time. I then select "stealth" while still idling and the valves close.

And when I select "Track" it's stays loud throughout the drive.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Read the link in post #5, The valves WILL close under certain conditions even in Track mode. This is to meet federal drive by noise standards.

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I understand from those who say pull fuse 42 if we want the valves open all the time in all modes.

The only thing that confuses me is this; when I start the car then select "Track" all valve open AND STAY OPEN even when I idle the car for an extended time. I then select "stealth" while still idling and the valves close.

And when I select "Track" it's stays loud throughout the drive.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I was looking for the same thing but couldn't find anything. Wanted the sport exhaust in touring and sport but stealth in Eco and weather. Can't seem to find anything tho.
This looks like one of the better options to achieve what we're looking for. I ordered the parts tonight. It's a little involved, but nothing too difficult. I'll use the two extra buttons on my homelink visor to control it.

Kinda sucks that with all the customization that is supposed to be available, something as important as having control over the exhaust note in different modes was overlooked.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ob-how-to.html

Actually, just re-reading your post, this solution is going to give you Track mode exhaust when activated...not the Sport mode exhaust. There is a difference between the two. My 7MT in Track mode at highway speeds is a little louder than in Sport mode. It's not objectionable to me, as I came from a headers/Corsa Sport equipped C6Z, but just wanted to throw that out there for you.

Last edited by UsernameProtected; 05-02-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Following that thread, here's a how-to on hard wiring an NPP switch. This thread also has a wiring route into the cabin without going through the firewall which could be handy in other future projects if you're so inclined.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-control.html
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 AM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

The different modes close the valves certain amount. That's all really.

Track mode partially closes vales in 4th and 5th gear around 36mph for noise regulations: the tallest gear at 35 mph.

For m7 people, this sucks because cruising around with the top off on city streets you no longer have a 4th gear downshift burble, or any growl really. You can get around this, audibly, by staying in 3rd until 45 mph then shifting into 6th. This is a silly way to drive but a good test so you can hear it.

I pulled fuse 42 due to it.

GM has to pass decibel tests but not Borla, or any other maker of NPP exhausts. If you get a Borla, you can leave the fuse, have cockpit control and a very nice sounding exhaust.

Last edited by BenCasey; 05-03-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Engine Sound Management??

Old 05-03-2016, 12:51 AM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Ah ha! Yes our dear missing sage, meyerweb:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589760867
Old 05-03-2016, 02:53 PM
promocop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

SO, if you pull the #42, is the idea that the sound will increase and be have more rummmrrmrmhh?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

yeah, at least in 4th and 5th great in the M7

Quick Reply: 2016 Engine Sound Management??