C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Grand Sport Coupe manuals (M7) are on constraint" ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default "Grand Sport Coupe manuals (M7) are on constraint" ...

And I was so excited to get my dealer's first allocation...

Guess I'll have to be patient
Old 05-31-2016, 01:15 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

It is worth waiting not to settle on an automatic. I have ordered a GS with manual and figure if it is delayed a cycle or two I will just have more money saved up for down payment or options.

I do wonder why the transmission is on constraint. Was there a production hiccup? Is there a design change/improvement? I doubt it is too high of demand as fewer and fewer Corvette drivers are choosing to control the car themselves. I also find it curious they put a constraint on this early for cars that are months away. Very strange.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Navyproud
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree, but then I started thinking from the business point of view. It's a good way for GM to make an additional profit since the Auto cost more. I'm not sure what to do now, hoping the constraint will not last long.

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
It is worth waiting not to settle on an automatic. I have ordered a GS with manual and figure if it is delayed a cycle or two I will just have more money saved up for down payment or options.

I do wonder why the transmission is on constraint. Was there a production hiccup? Is there a design change/improvement? I doubt it is too high of demand as fewer and fewer Corvette drivers are choosing to control the car themselves. I also find it curious they put a constraint on this early for cars that are months away. Very strange.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-04-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The track guys are ordering the GS and they all want to 7M. Going for the best track car they can get, avoiding heating issues and better reliability.
Just a guess on my part...but...
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyproud

QUOTE=mitchydkid;1592322882]It is worth waiting not to settle on an automatic. I have ordered a GS with manual and figure if it is delayed a cycle or two I will just have more money saved up for down payment or options.

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by rcooper
The track guys are ordering the GS and they all want to 7M.
If it's mostly Z06's getting M7's, that is a different trans than the one for the lower hp LT1. Mostly a different 1st gear ratio to handle the extra torque of the LT4. Perhaps that messed up GM's demand forecast to Tremic.

I don't track and would not take an A8 at the same price as an M7, if offered! Hope when I order my 2019 GS I can still get one or at least a dual clutch trans without a torque converter!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I thought the track guys would be ordering the auto because it is faster, not the M7.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 AM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

The manual is what I want as well. I just picked up a 2016 Z51 but I will trade it in as soon as I can get a GS M7. I called the sales man and asked him to keep me posted on the arrival of the GS.
The following users liked this post:
Fore58 (06-22-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 08:09 AM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
And I was so excited to get my dealer's first allocation...

Guess I'll have to be patient
For my edification where do you get this info on constraint reports? I don't see anything on the sticky thread.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Quote from post #5

"If it's mostly Z06's getting M7's, that is a different trans than the one for the lower hp LT1. Mostly a different 1st gear ratio to handle the extra torque of the LT4. Perhaps that messed up GM's demand forecast to Tremic.

I don't track and would not take an A8 at the same price as an M7, if offered! Hope when I order my 2019 GS I can still get one or at least a dual clutch trans without a torque converter! "

Except for 4th gear(1:1) all the other six gear ratios(1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6rh, 7th) are different between the Z06 and the Stingray and the Z51/GS.

Since the M7 in the GS is the same M7 used in the 2014-2016 Z51, they should have a steady supply from Tremec. More likely an over supply of A8's(especially since the word is out on them about flexplate/torque Convertor/transmission problems) and GM is "forcing" A8's onto the dealer/customer.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-31-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My dealer confirmed the M7 is on start up constraint...the Watkins Glen Gray isn't as of the moment. He asked if I wanted to switch to the A8. No Bueno. Sticking to getting what I want.....or at least what I think I want.
The following users liked this post:
ron landgraf (06-22-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 02:28 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

My dealer in Florida mentioned that Watkin's Glen was on constraint. Does anyone have any information to support that?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jivor
My dealer in Florida mentioned that Watkin's Glen was on constraint. Does anyone have any information to support that?
My dealer (not in Florida though I am) said he can get WG gray with A8 ordered this week. Just not with M7. So the color itself must not be on constraint right?

Last edited by aerobaticflyer; 05-31-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM
mumbojumbo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealer also mentioned constraint on M7, but did not mention anything about Watkins Glen Gray.

If your status is at 2000, does that just literally mean GM is confirming receipt of the order? Would you get to 2000 if there are constraints on the order?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:50 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aerobaticflyer
For my edification where do you get this info on constraint reports? I don't see anything on the sticky thread.
My dealer got an allocation notice for their first 2017, called me as I was #1 on the list... I put in an order for an M7 coupe, they attempted to place it and was told it was on constraint, so they ordered a GS Convertible for the guy on #2 - coincidentally it was WGG in color.

They said they'll try and resubmit Tuesday (today), as a special order and if they are still on constraint, they'll keep trying until they can place it.

I'm ok with this, gives me even more time to save a bigger down payment, or more money for mods... Whichever haha

Originally Posted by mumbojumbo
My dealer also mentioned constraint on M7, but did not mention anything about Watkins Glen Gray.
If your status is at 2000, does that just literally mean GM is confirming receipt of the order? Would you get to 2000 if there are constraints on the order?
Not sure on that last part - Someone else might know

Last edited by RideZX6R; 05-31-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:41 PM
mumbojumbo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
My dealer got an allocation notice for their first 2017, called me as I was #1 on the list... I put in an order for an M7 coupe, they attempted to place it and was told it was on constraint, so they ordered a GS Convertible for the guy on #2 - coincidentally it was WGG in color.

They said they'll try and resubmit Tuesday (today), as a special order and if they are still on constraint, they'll keep trying until they can place it.

I'm ok with this, gives me even more time to save a bigger down payment, or more money for mods... Whichever haha

Not sure on that last part - Someone else might know
Interesting... Last friday I placed an order (M7, Watkins Gray, few other options). Today I checked the status with the dealer and it's at 2000.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Default M7

Dealer called today. Said my GS M7 order was accepted by GM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Its odd you can order one at the dealer but not build a GS on the Chevrolet website.

Get notified of new replies

To "Grand Sport Coupe manuals (M7) are on constraint" ...

Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
Its odd you can order one at the dealer but not build a GS on the Chevrolet website.
No, that's pretty normal at the beginning of the model year.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:17 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
I just went to the Chevy build website. It isn't updated for 2017 yet. It says 2016 and you can pick exterior colors that are no longer available.

Everyone is saying the M7 is on "constraint" but without the Percentage number it is pointless. Ie. If they say 50% constraint then half of the orders total for that period can have that option and half can't. GM gives those to dealers and say you have X cars you can order and X can have M7 and the rest A8.

I made up the 50% as I have no idea it could be any percentage even 0% , if it is 0% then nobody can order M7 and that doesn't seem the case since people have stated they could order them and some can't
Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jivor
yes, see below.

My dealer also mentioned constraint on M7, but did not mention anything about Watkins Glen Gray. It was constrained to about 30% for some dealers I know last week. A few orders were available but not all could be built in WGG.

it means they've accepted it and it's in the system. Essentially it's starting down the path to being built. 1100 is just an order that doesn't have an allocation to move it to 2000 or its no build able because of constraints or production delays. Your order should move steadily over the coming weeks. 3000,3300 are next for you. A TPW is usually assigned not too long after the status update to 2000.

Interesting... Last friday I placed an order (M7, Watkins Gray, few other options). Today I checked the status with the dealer and it's at 2000.
they must have had a ton of allocations because most were on a 0% constraint. Did they just tell you or did they send you the status update from GM?

Quick Reply: "Grand Sport Coupe manuals (M7) are on constraint" ...