C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

CF UV clearcoat on aftermarket parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:03 PM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default CF UV clearcoat on aftermarket parts?

I've been thinking more and more about buying carbon fiber for lots of the outside bits of the Z. I had a friend who had a bunch of aftermarket carbon fiber on his Lotus. After a number of years, it all yellowed. I don't know how long it had been on his car, but it looked terrible.

I know GM uses a UV resistant clearcoat on the factory parts. Anyone know if any of the aftermarket CF manufacturers do the same? I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on CF only to have to replace it in three or four years.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:31 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

From Caravaggio
Our C7 Stingray Front Splitter fits all C7's. These are exact copies of the Z06 OEM parts. All carbon parts are made using a marine gel coating with UV protection and then clear coated and polished using an automotive cleaner that also has UV protection. This prevents the carbon from discolouring. The kit comes with all the necessary hardware and instructions.

From APR with their carbon Spats
UV Resistant Coating
Each Air Duct is finished with UV-resistant clear-coat paint for resistance against various environmental conditions (take care of this as you would take care of your vehicle's paint finish - polish then coat with good-quality wax or synthetic protectant).

I'd assume most would have a similar finish, but I would definitely confirm before you order anything.

My neighbor has an 8 year old S4 and it looks like some of the carbon parts are yellowing, but I think it has to do with crappy body work that was done from an accident because the clearcoat elsewhere is failing
Old 12-10-2016, 01:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I would postulate that the GM stuff, which costs something crazy like $10,000 per gallon (as an additive, not a coating) is likely longer lasting than using a "cleaner" with UV protection. I have Caravaggio carbon too, but my car doesn't get parked in the sun too much, so I'm not too worried.

Edit: Actually, it's $60,000 per gallon straight, $2000 per gallon at the applied strength, I looked!

Quote from MotorTrend:
"The fenders, hood inner and outer panels, roof panel, and C-pillar roof bar are carbon fiber, the tooling for which caps production at 2000 per year. The fibers are visible on the roof and hood inner, and to prevent ultraviolet light from degrading them a special additive costing over $60,000/gallon (!) is added at three-percent concentration in the thin clear-coat layer ($2000/gallon)."

Last edited by davepl; 12-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:45 PM
trunks333
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my carbon fiber splitter and side skirts covered in Xpel ultimate. I have no worries in it ever yellowing.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:50 PM
MacManInfi
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome info. Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To CF UV clearcoat on aftermarket parts?

Quick Reply: CF UV clearcoat on aftermarket parts?