C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to supercharge my z

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by X2142
Fastest dragsters are all supercharged. I also talk to all the guys who drag race for a living, some have even said they'd love a turbo if it could produce the times like their superchargers. With instant boost off the line and a continues power down the strip is better than having a later boost. Yes you can get an earlier boost from turbos, but not instant. In drag races, you never want late power. You want it from start to finish. Now I'm not saying tubros are crap to superchargers at all. They can rip apart superchargers all day in roll racing or anything longer than a 1/2 mile with ease. I wanted turbos for the longest until I did my own research and came up with going for a supercharger for faster times down the track. I don't mean to argue and come off as mad, just having a conversation
You keep saying blowers make instant boost and I'm sorry but thats just incorrect. The boost rises as RPM rises so it's not like you're getting the full boost at idle...

What fastest dragsters are you referring to? Top fuel? Funny car? Outlaw? What works on a top fuel car doesnt necessarily work for an Outlaw car. You can't just make blanket statements when it comes to building cars.

Do you have personal experience with both types of forced induction or just know what you have read online?

I've had a centri powered car and multiple turbo powered cars. I would take a turbo over a blower any day.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 03-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Volk2142
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise
You keep saying blowers make instant boost and I'm sorry but thats just incorrect. The boost rises as RPM rises so it's not like you're getting the full boost at idle...

What fastest dragsters are you referring to? Top fuel? Funny car? Outlaw? What works on a top fuel car doesnt necessarily work for an Outlaw car. You can't just make blanket statements when it comes to building cars.
Let's hear what you have to say lol you seem agressive
Old 03-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Let's hear what you have to say lol you seem agressive
Lol not aggressive, sorry. I get that a lot because im direct.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Volk2142
Pro

Lol not aggressive, sorry. I get that a lot because im direct.
Haha its alright, but to be honest we could say different til the end of time Its all options and opinions lol But would be wicked **** if i could twin turbo and supercharge the vette... Now that would be impressive
Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Better is such a subjective term that these threads can get derailed quickly. Better how? Better throttle response? Better peak numbers? Better low rpm torque? Better reliability?

There are compromises to be made with any setup and personal preference does come into play. The power delivery of a turbo is different from a roots style which is different than a centri which is different than a twin screw.

Best bet for OP is do his research on both and what they require in terms of installation and maintenance then find some members in his area with boosted vettes and see if someone will take him for a ride.

i always felt like I was waiting for peak power in my centri build but my turbo cars have all hit full boost well before redline and pulled like a freight train. To each his own, I guess.

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 03-28-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Volk2142
Pro

Better is such a subjective term that these threads can get derailed quickly. Better how? Better throttle response? Better peak numbers? Better low rpm torque? Better reliability?

There are compromises to be made with any setup and personal preference does come into play. The power delivery of a turbo is different from a roots style which is different than a centri which is different than a twin screw.

Best bet for OP is do his research on both and what they require in terms of installation and maintenance then find some members in his area with boosted vettes and see if someone will take him for a ride.

i always felt like I was waiting for peak power in my centri build but my turbo cars have all hit full boost well before redline and pulled like a freight train. To each his own, I guess.
I'm no fan on the centri or hybrids either
Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

ok, yea i'm not arguing, just looking see if a supercharger could outperform my single turbo setup and what's that recipe. I saw "late on boost" mentioned, I'll like to see a supercharger make peak boost before my single, with boost controllers/wastegates, you also have the flexibility of adjusting the powerband to what works best for traction, But yes, instant power is great for a dragster, that's build for that. Our cars aren't dragsters, it's best to have flexibility in power to put the power down. I'll still also recommend a supercharger over turbo for the general public though, for the simplicity.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

I agree. For anybody who wants 500-600 whp and simplicity, go with ECS or A&A.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Volk2142
Pro

Old 03-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

If you know how to use that pointy thing on the center of your console, to keep the engine in the power band, full boost from a cernti will almost always be available.

Granted, the most insane thing I have ever driven was a 350 horsepower turbo Busa motorcycle. But the power delivery was so unpredictable, that the owner preferred the roots blower on his track bikes.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-28-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
If you know how to use that pointy thing on the center of your console, to keep the engine in the power band. full boost from a cernti will almost always be available.
there's bandaids for everything
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
If you know how to use that pointy thing on the center of your console, to keep the engine in the power band, full boost from a cernti will almost always be available.
You could use the same argument for a turbo. I just prefer to have full boost earlier I guess.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
there's bandaids for everything
Sure, there's bandaids for everything. That's where sorting skills start to come into play
Old 03-29-2017, 01:31 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just make sure you use a low number of boost if you are running stock internals. Some say they can take it, but I HIGHLY recommend you do not even try turning it up. Better to be safe than sorry.
From my reading the stock bottom end should be tough enough to handle an extra 100hp. I'm guessing 8lbs (0.5 atmosphere) should be a good number? Or am I guessing low?

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Thank you for your interest in our products, feel free to contact us anytime to discuss in length.

We also have 0% financing for one year too.
Appreciate the intro. I'll be calling the tech line soon.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
From my reading the stock bottom end should be tough enough to handle an extra 100hp. I'm guessing 8lbs (0.5 atmosphere) should be a good number? Or am I guessing low?

Some guys say 10 psi max, others say it's more a matter of how much power not how much boost. From what I've read and experienced I think 550 whp is fairly safe but really it comes down to how well it is tuned.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Volk2142
Pro

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

8 isn't bad but I wouldn't go past 10 like said above
Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

There is so much god awful bad info in this thread it makes my head hurt

Get notified of new replies

To looking to supercharge my z

Old 03-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Volk2142
Pro

Originally Posted by NosLaser
Share what you know then
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by NosLaser
pm sent
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Since I have been asked by a few people...

Turbos can make same amount of power as superchargers and vice versa but both react and drive differently. Turbos are "late" on boost and superchargers are "instant".
This is demonstrably false, at least without specifics. Firstly, supercharges are always going to bring additional parasitic loss so in theory, they can't produce as much power as turbos. Secondly, when comparing centrifugal superchargers to turbos, you couldn't be more incorrect. Centrifugal superchargers by design require rpm to make boost, while turbos require exhaust gas pulses/load, and those forces can be produced much more rapidly than engine rpm. Properly sized turbos have almost instant boost. Centrifugal blowers are absolutely more "laggy" than turbos, unless you go trying to put a 91mm turbo on a 2 liter 4 cylinder. Roots style blowers can be a different story.

In the long run yes, but in drag racing (which I am into) a turbo isn't the winner
Again, this is demonstrably false. Which class are you talking about? I follow NMRA being a Mustang guy (ewwww) and Renegade just recently allowed turbos back into the class, and they had all the blower guys covered by over half a second and a bunch of mph, even with the freshly allowed gear driven blower setups. If you were more specific in your examples then your claims may hold up, but you are being far too broad in your statements, and there are a multitude of instances where they are just flat out wrong.

Fastest dragsters are all supercharged. I also talk to all the guys who drag race for a living, some have even said they'd love a turbo if it could produce the times like their superchargers.
If you are going to make a statement like "the fastest dragsters are all supercharged" then we must assume since you said "fastest" that you are referring to Top Fuel. So again you have to look at WHY they run superchargers. First, it would take millions of dollars to develop turbochargers for use with engines that burn nitromethane as a fuel. You realize that nitromethane has a flame temp of twice that of gasoline, and exhaust temperatures are closer to triple? Nitromethane is still burning as it exits the exhaust, and quite violently, which is right where your turbocharger is going to be. The materials used to make the turbine wheel, the bearings, etc. would all have to be super high tech and heat resistant to withstand those temperatures...and what the hell do you lubricate it with? Some good 'ol 5w30?

There are REASONS turbos aren't used, not just "the fastest cars use supershargers therefore they must be better for all applications."

With instant boost off the line and a continues power down the strip is better than having a later boost.
You know that turbos launch in boost right? You have seen transbrakes and bump boxes correct?

Hope this scratches the surface on why blanket statements are almost never useful, and why there was bad info in this thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by NosLaser:
FourG63 97GST (04-06-2017), JrRifleCoach (04-07-2017), Turpid porpoise (04-07-2017)

Quick Reply: looking to supercharge my z