C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side window won't go up! Regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Apple3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side window won't go up! Regulator?

My brother owns a 2007 C6 Corvette (Black on Black) After a short drive today he tried to put his window up and it would not budge whatsoever! It makes a semi-loud noise. Could it be the regulator? If not, what could it be? He is no longer under warranty, so taking it to the dealership is not an option. Where would be the best place to purchase the part needed to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Apple3

UPDATE: After about 30 minutes of banging against the door panel, we managed to get the window back up, however it still does not operate as it should. It will not go up and down.

So, it can't be the regulator now, could it? Maybe the connection is just loose?

Last edited by Apple3; 06-20-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

From the way you describe the problem, it sounds like the switch and the motor are working, or trying to work.The regulator could be the problem, need to remove the door panel for inspection. NAPA does carry a few regulators in stock, I would stay away from the Dealer if possible (dealer regulators are very expensive), and try some of the vendors here on the forum, GM Parts House or Parts Taxi.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had both of mine replaced under the GMPP. If you are paying the dealer my guess is $700 +/-.

Name:  B4WWP4gCWkKGrHqZhgE8PDZkhBMph9qMbew_12.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  13.9 KB
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Bang around carefully with your fist on the door panel while trying to operate the window,
I've had sucess with that in the past.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by johnny3
Bang around carefully with your fist on the door panel while trying to operate the window,
I've had sucess with that in the past.
It's likely a loose connection, so removing the panel would allow you to re-seat all connections, one of the tracks could be loose as well ...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Thrash
It's likely a loose connection, so removing the panel would allow you to re-seat all connections, one of the tracks could be loose as well ...
Had this same issue, removed the panel, loose connection fixed, good to go. The initial symptom was sometimes the window worked and other times it would not. Blaming it on poor local road maintenance.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Apple3
Advanced

UPDATE: After about 30 minutes of banging against the door panel, we managed to get the window back up, however it still does not operate as it should. It will not go up and down.

So, it can't be the regulator now, could it? Maybe the connection is just loose?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wires in the regulator are likely destroyed. They get frayed and wrap up in the motor and render it useless. Happened to my car. I ate a $620 body shop bill for a new one.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
gayleegirl
3rd Gear

I recently took my car 2006 to the shop to replace the whole wiring harness for my left front headlight, as well as some undercarriage damage. When I picked it up, the driver's side window would not roll up. I paid $58 to diagnose the problem and was told it was the switch. After a debate with the shop manager as to how this could have happened, he agreed to put the part in if I purchased it.
My question is this; after reading all of the above I am wondering if this switch or loose connection could have been caused by the replacement of the wiring harness and other repairs ie" radiator, welding bracket, air ducts, etc?? It was not on the first evaluation that is done when a car is towed in
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
gayleegirl
3rd Gear

Default Window Switch Suddenly won't work??

I recently took my car 2006 to the shop to replace the whole wiring harness for my left front headlight, as well as some undercarriage damage. When I picked it up, the driver's side window would not roll up. I paid $58 to diagnose the problem and was told it was the switch. After a debate with the shop manager as to how this could have happened, he agreed to put the part in if I purchased it.

My question is this; after reading all of the above I am wondering if this switch or loose connection could have been caused by the replacement of the wiring harness and other repairs ie" radiator, welding bracket, air ducts, etc??

It was not on the first evaluation that is done when a car is towed in, causing me to wonder when it could have happened. I have not tried jiggeling etc the wiring, nor the accordian piece, but certainly will try that before I pay to repair it.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 AM
antny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread but my passenger window decided not to roll up today. I can hear the regulator click when I press the window switch. Does this mean my regulator is shot?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by antny
Sorry to bump an old thread but my passenger window decided not to roll up today. I can hear the regulator click when I press the window switch. Does this mean my regulator is shot?
The only way to find out is to remove the door panel and look at the regulator. My passenger regulator cable got frayed and eventually got stuck within the motor turning gear. I had to buy a new (used) regulator with little mileage from a wrecked car for under half the cost of one from GM. It's been working for 5 years, so no issues with the used one.

There is a company that does refurb the units, but the turnaround time is an issue for most. They replace the frayed cable, then it's good to go again.

If the window is making strange noises when it's going up and down, then most likely, the cable is frayed and starting to bind up.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-30-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 AM
antny
Instructor

I pulled it last night and the regulator looks fine. I believe the motor took a dump on me. Connections looked fine and I can hear the relay click everytime I pull the switch. Have a new assembly on its way. I appreciate the response. The window never made any weird noises it literally just stopped working.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. Put in new regulator, fairly easy install.
Takes awhile to get the window lined back up....
Old 12-30-2015, 12:02 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
I had the same thing happen to me. Put in new regulator, fairly easy install.
Takes awhile to get the window lined back up....
It makes it easier if you mark the window where the clamp brackets sit, before you remove the old regulator from the window glass.
That way, you can put the clamps of the new regulator in the same position on the marked glass, then just have to adjust the window in or out to make a good seal.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-30-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:18 PM
antny
Instructor

I did mark the window before removing the glass off the regulator. I thought i was going to have problems with the window being stuck down but it was farely an easy job.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:50 PM
gilvied
5th Gear

Default Need company that refurbishes regulators...

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
The only way to find out is to remove the door panel and look at the regulator. My passenger regulator cable got frayed and eventually got stuck within the motor turning gear. I had to buy a new (used) regulator with little mileage from a wrecked car for under half the cost of one from GM. It's been working for 5 years, so no issues with the used one.

There is a company that does refurb the units, but the turnaround time is an issue for most. They replace the frayed cable, then it's good to go again.

If the window is making strange noises when it's going up and down, then most likely, the cable is frayed and starting to bind up.
---
Hi,
My C6's passenger cables just got shredded, do you by chance have the name of the company that does the refurbishing?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:29 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gilvied
---
Hi,
My C6's passenger cables just got shredded, do you by chance have the name of the company that does the refurbishing?
Unfortunately, the company that used to do it is no longer listed, so I can't help you.
You can buy a new regulator from Rock Auto or GM for approx. $320.00 The other option is to buy used regulator from a salvage yard relatively cheap compared to a new one at $179.00

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side window won't go up! Regulator?

Quick Reply: Driver side window won't go up! Regulator?