C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling System DIC WARNING!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Service Active Handling System DIC WARNING!

My car battery had to be replaced and I ended up with this DIC warning!

Ok just got this, I did have the recall done on my car about 2 years ago where they nstalled a dinky clip in my steering column, but now I am seeing this...

I check thecodes and got c0561. I looked everywhere but there seems to not be much talk about this issue.

I tried clearing the code, but it just came right back. Car is running fine. After removing the battery, I reset the ECU and all is well, I again check ed the codes, and the C0561 seems to be in HISTORY which to my understanding will sit there for 100 starts. But since it did not clear completely, this concerns me.

Thanks,

Ahmer
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 283 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
My car battery had to be replaced and I ended up with this DIC warning!

Ok just got this, I did have the recall done on my car about 2 years ago where they nstalled a dinky clip in my steering column, but now I am seeing this...

I check thecodes and got c0561. I looked everywhere but there seems to not be much talk about this issue.

I tried clearing the code, but it just came right back. Car is running fine. After removing the battery, I reset the ECU and all is well, I again check ed the codes, and the C0561 seems to be in HISTORY which to my understanding will sit there for 100 starts. But since it did not clear completely, this concerns me.

Thanks,

Ahmer

Usually this is caused when you have a telescoping wheel. Try disabling this feature and/or just restart the car. I leave this feature off because of this very reason. Those wires in the steering column are getting pinched when the steering wheel is moved. Your battery has nothing to do with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by St.Char:
SBMVP16 (11-01-2016), VET JET (01-31-2022)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Wild
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is your car?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

I have a 2005. I think you may be right about the wheel, but the strange thing is when I reset the code with a scan tool, the light comes back. But when I removed and reconnect the battery and not reset the code but leave it present as HISTORY, the light stays off and the car drives fine

What would show up as A obd code for a wheel sensor as I have heard that these can cause the service light to come on as well.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

I have heard that 100 start up that are normal will remove the code.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Finally cavd and sent the car in to stealership. THe light came on last night. I cleaned the Steerin Position sensor contacts and made sure the 2 cent clip they already installed for me was making good contact. Then waited for the mornng to take the car in. I wake up and start the car ALL IS FINE. I drove around braked hard and peeled out to check the abs and traction system and again ALL IKS WELL....

I stopped the car and attempted to restart and the Traction control light and "Service Active Handling SYstem" and "Service Vehicle Soon" light both came on.

I hope this is not going to be a huge cost...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The problem is that there are a number of things that can contribute to Service Active Handling and related error messages. The steering wheel position sensor, each of the wheel speed sensors for ABS, each of the connection points for all of those systems, heck, even grossly uneven tire pressures front to rear can cause Active Handling faults.

The recall is because of an issue with the connection points at the steering wheel position sensor and is specific to older C6 models. Just because the recall is out and serviced does not mean the end of seeing that message in the DIC because of all of the other systems and sensors that input and contribute to the Active Handling system. Simply stated, the car is complicated electronically but offers a limited vocabulary in terms of it's communication of issues to owners. Digging deeper in to the actual DTC's that were set under any given circumstance will provide assistance to the final diagnosis but all "Service Active Handling" error messages are not created equal.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

THey claim my car is not communicating with the BCM. ANd they want to change this out which will set me back 650.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

OP, there's a sticky on this topic, it will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the issue.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...er-action.html

I would make sure you are comfortable that it is resolved, because I had an active handling issue with my 2008.

For no known reason, either all 4 (or just the 2 passenger side) wheels would lock up hard (meaning no abs, but instant skidding down the highway).

I'm usually an easy going guy, but they were scared of me at the dealership for a while.

Long story explained in other posts, but GM bought mine back at a very fair price, which is why I'm in a 2011 today.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

$625 BCM REPLACED. I had 37 codes. Apparently my bcm was not talking to any other module in the car. All is fixed.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM
gvons
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall #10118 Service Active Handling System - recall fix failure

I inherited my fathers 2005 C6. In 2012 he had the Recall #10118 Service Active Handling System applied. In the short time I've driven this car the Service Active Handling System light comes on with the accompanying driving changes to the car. Turning off the car and restarting clears it but it comes back. Is it known that the recall fix doesn't hold and how is this being addressed with dealers?
TIA..
Old 08-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Aug 2016

See post # 9 above - that link takes a long time to read.
I read half 1/4 of it.

Seems there are two degrees of this issue:
1) Locking of a wheel at freeway speeds
2) Error message at low speeds while parking

My 2005 has experienced this with low speed.
Trail braking may also set it...that's is an opinion not fact.
Stopping and restarting the engine clears the dash message.
No code is retained.
(So a code reading while the message is displayed may offer a further lead. I have not had this option to do so.)

Service manual is a poor lead to the root issue.
(Manual refers to the ABS section as part of the hunt.)

Options in the service manual include:
Replace wheel hubs with build in Wheel Speed Sensor.
Inspect WSS wiring to main harness connectors, both ends...all 4 wheels.
Replace WSS wiring "pigtail" to harness...all four wheels
Steering Wheel Position Sensor
Replace Yaw Sensor
Replace ECBM (sp acronym from memory)
Inspect ABS mechanical junction
(I think that is the complete list)

There seems to be a few TSBs mentioned in that long thread with one referring to telescoping steering wheels (although non telescope have this same message issue).

One other post in that long tread has some photos where the co-member photographed the under dash area and steps to his repair.

So............

Here's what I did after all that thread reading:

1) Removed the under dash knee panel...two torx screws, 6 push in metal retainers hold it on, noting to release the dash side pods lower area to aid knee panel removal, disconnect AC sensor and fuel/hatch release wiring connectors.
2) Remove under dash plastic panel...three fir trees, remove interior light and housing as a unit from panel.

Now you can see the steering wheel position sensor.

I did note that my wiring to the sensor was not super tight and did not stretch/ bind as it traveled through the telescoping wheel action before making any changes.

However I also noted that the plastic round steering wheel position sensor had left to right movement on the steering shaft.
(Root cause of message - I wonder)

The repair from the reference thread is to:
*Disconnect battery is recommended when working on wiring*

1) Install (or comfirm) OEM red clip (plastic comb) into the wiring connector.
(Some remove the connector and add di-electric grease to the pins...I choose not to.)
(Referenced long thread has a part number in it for the comb and mentions a $10 cost.)

2) Added two zip ties to the SWPS wiring to an adjacent wiring harness.
(These zip ties seem to limit the left/ right movement I mentioned above.)

3) Test telescoping function and looked for wiring binding/ issues from zip ties.

4) Reassemble
I reused the fir trees and retainers and all parts.
(Good time to rattle proof these panels and inspect the throttle pedal springs/ metal pins.)

So will see.
If message occurs again then my next step would be the WSS pigtails.
(Some probability that these are the root issues)

In my case the message was rare, yet when I needed active handing I want it.
So a proactive repair.

Good luck to all chasing this dash memo issue.
The following users liked this post:
gvons (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:14 AM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnect the steering wheel positioning sensor will disable the AHS. TC and ABS still work. Drive it like a racecar!
gvons (08-27-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Hold the button on the console for 10 seconds and take it easy..........
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by napp e roots
Disconnect the steering wheel positioning sensor will disable the AHS. TC and ABS still work. Drive it like a racecar!
How do I disconnect it on my 08? I've had the Service Active handing twice this week at very low speed. I set my steering wheel to stay out at all times.Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 02:43 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
How do I disconnect it on my 08? I've had the Service Active handing twice this week at very low speed. I set my steering wheel to stay out at all times.Thanks
Here is the TSB that was released in the early years. It has pics so you can determine what you should do based on those.
It may well be that the connector has stretched over time and it's is losing connection thus why you are getting the alarm.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB 06-Active Handling.pdf (718.0 KB, 720 views)
Cherokee Nation (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Here is the TSB that was released in the early years. It has pics so you can determine what you should do based on those.
It may well be that the connector has stretched over time and it's is losing connection thus why you are getting the alarm.
That is for 2005-2006 vettes?

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling System DIC WARNING!

Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
That is for 2005-2006 vettes?
Yes, but it's not like GM changed anything from that point going forward. They just installed a comb that was supposed to keep the female/male connectors from fretting.
Remember that the recall for the air bag light is the exact same issue as the SWPS. Most owners took it upon themselves to tie wrap the connectors to stop them from coming apart.
GM fixes it now but cutting out the connectors and soldering the wires together.
Cherokee Nation (09-18-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 PM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Yes, but it's not like GM changed anything from that point going forward. They just installed a comb that was supposed to keep the female/male connectors from fretting.
Remember that the recall for the air bag light is the exact same issue as the SWPS. Most owners took it upon themselves to tie wrap the connectors to stop them from coming apart.
GM fixes it now but cutting out the connectors and soldering the wires together.
So if my 2007 had the comb installed from the factory, and the comb fix will not last forever (as reported by members), is it possible that I need the comb in my vehicle repositioned? It has been installed for over 10 years now and I just started getting the "Service Active Handling System" message.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

subscribed i have this issue in my 08 but only at higher speeds 90+

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling System DIC WARNING!