Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Did you know that Raybestos parts are in made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Did you know that Raybestos parts are in made in China?

Both of my front wheel hubs are going to be replaced so I found at Amazom.com at set of Raybestos Professional Grade front wheel hubs for $103 EA + free shipping and thinking that these must equal to the original AC Delco units I bought 1 set so you cam imagine my shock when I see that these parts are manufactured in China. My question do you think that these Raybestos Professional Front Wheel Hubs units are equal to the OEM AC Delco units?
Would you keep them or send them back for a refund?
thanks boonie.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems to be the way everything is going. I would source some that are actually made in a non communist country, and then send them back....assuming that's possible.

America is bleeding to death.....of self inflicted wounds. We did this to ourselves.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

And all this time I thought they were made in Mexico...

We went from Japan to Canada to Mexico to China.
Our blood is all over the world
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

earlier this summer i bought a new bearing assembly for the right rear of my 94. i chose the Moog brand and paid about $105 out the door from Advance Auto. When it arrived, to my surprise, it was made in the USA! it was of excellent quality and has been working well for a couple of months now. Moog is still made in America!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

When I replaced my rear hubs earlier this year, I too tracked down Moog because I wanted made in the USA replacement parts. A lot of brand name parts aren't made in the USA anymore just so they can increase their bottom line. China junk and American workers out of work. Hope the guy's on top are living well.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Vote with your dollars.....refuse to buy this crap when there is a domestic alternative. Call the manufacturer and voice your outrage that your parts money is being sent to a communist sinkhole.....
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The US and Chinese economies are linked at an atomic level. If you want to vote with your dollar, start by buying LESS stuff in general. The care and working conditions of the workers are of paramount importance to me, not a 'Merica vs. communist bs crusade.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

IF you look close enough at most aftermarket parts, you will find that they are made in China or at least the raw casting is made in China and then finished in the US.

I use either Timken or SKF front hubs on my '87 autocross car and both of these products are made in the US. I get them at Rockauto. I pay about $160 each for them.

For street use, the Raybestos products "should" be OK. A few years ago, I had one front hub wear out after a weekend of both autocross and track days. It was the original '87 GM hub! So I bought a so-called "white box" no-name hub from a local parts store. At the next autocross event, it was completely worn out at the end of the day.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know for a fact that China is buying up all the scrap metal it can, certainly from here in Britain and Europe and I wouldnt mind betting its the same in the US as well, so its possible your getting your steel back !
Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

There is a clandestine operation which take parts made in China, and put them in "Made in the USA" boxes.

Hell, there are contractors from China working in the US.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/did...chinese-firms/

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/us-b...firms-14594513

We already have a middle eastern channel in our TV listing, next will be a Chinese channel, and next will be Corvettes production moving to China.

轻武装快舰
Old 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Use to work on distributor company here in Panama for Crocs shoes The brand was born in Colorado USA. But the shoes is made in China. All the Crocs Shoes we recive came from China.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

No need to worry about China manufacturing everything for us much longer..I just watched a documentry last night that showed citys the size of New York that were built because the Chinese economy was doing so well...Now there are large citys all over China that are ment to house millions and millions of people, with no one living in them..They said when the housing bubble bursts in China, it will take alot of companys and people down with it...It will make our little recession look like a walk in the park....The only problem is , we are so tied in with China's economy, it could cause major financial problems here.......WW

PS. I almost forgot....Buy "Timkin" bearings and you won't be sorry later...

Last edited by WW7; 08-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:36 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by WW7
No need to worry about China manufactoring everything for us much longer..I just watched a documentry last night that showed citys the size of New York that were built because the Chinese economy was doing so well...Now there are large citys all over China that are ment to house millions and millions of people, with no one living in them..They said when the housing bubble bursts in China, it will take alot of companys and people down with it...It will make our little recession look like a walk in the park....The only problem is , we are so tied in with China's economy, it could cause major financial problems here.......WW

PS. I almost forgot....Buy "Timkin" bearings and you won't be sorry later...
They need to build more catalyst converters for themselves.

China at 12:00 Noon

This Z25 Ruby picture was actually taken in China.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

As a tractor trailer driver, I get to see it all. Take Chry. parts to mexico, bring back complete engines from there. Hows that work anyway? I picked up a load of hot sauce down LA. way. "Hooters" is one of the brands they make. I told the guys "sure is nice to pick up a load of American made goods". He laughed and said the peppers are imported from Costa Rica. I go to these huge wharehouses, all over the country, and its all imports. Its getting less often I go to a factory anymore. Many of our fathers/grandfathers were WW-2 vets and they wouldn't touch anything made in Japan. From the mid 60s, we been saying "buy American",. shrug.. the companys are making more profit now, but its all going to the top, very little to the worker. Yes, I know, its capitialism..I now call whats going on, pure greed.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Padowski
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese threatened to own entire U.S. aftermarket industry

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Both of my front wheel hubs are going to be replaced so I found at Amazom.com at set of Raybestos Professional Grade front wheel hubs for $103 EA + free shipping and thinking that these must equal to the original AC Delco units I bought 1 set so you cam imagine my shock when I see that these parts are manufactured in China. My question do you think that these Raybestos Professional Front Wheel Hubs units are equal to the OEM AC Delco units?
Would you keep them or send them back for a refund?
thanks boonie.
A friend of mine is the last manufacturer of emergency brake cables in the U.S. (other than someone who might make one or two in their shop). The Chinese 'stole' his contract and then offered him a sell-your-soul option. When he said no, the Dragon Lady, as he calls her, said, "We'll sell our cables at a loss for as long as it takes to drive you out of business." she also said that, "Within five years we (the Chinese) will own the entire U.S. aftermarket auto parts industry."

My friend is still hanging on - has invested everything he has in the project. What's really sad is that he tests his cables and he tests the imported cables (generally from China, Mexico and Equador). His cables pass the tests almost every time. Depending on which day he's testing the imported cables, they may fail the test 9-out-of-10 times. On a really good day, half of them will fail. The tests runs as high as 1,200 foot pounds (depending on the style of cable). Some of the foreign cables come apart at only 150-foot pounds.

He's told the NHTSA about the problem but, since we don't know of anyone who has died because of the imported cables yet, the NHTSA is busy with other issues.

Today, my friend sells his brake cables on ebay at:
http://stores.ebay.com/Bruin-Brake-Cables
Old 07-29-2016, 03:47 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
轻武装快舰
I put that in Google Translate (Chinese) and it came up "Corvette".
Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Wheel Hubs units are equal to the OEM AC Delco units?
That's the funny $hit right there. I would have responded sooner but I couldnt stop laughing. Where exactly do you think AC DELCO crap comes from?

Get notified of new replies

To Did you know that Raybestos parts are in made in China?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Going back to the idea of the original post, I recently purchased a new AC Delco relay (paid extra to get the original brand) but when I received it, the relay was made in China. It may be just as good but still.... I visited a factory in China a few years ago. In one of the rooms about 16 ft x 16 ft , there were two young girls doing detailed, intricate work in a room where there were no windows and one, 4-ft fluorescent light bulb that was about 10 ft above them. Not very worker friendly at all.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
There is a clandestine operation which take parts made in China, and put them in "Made in the USA" boxes.

Hell, there are contractors from China working in the US.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/did...chinese-firms/

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/us-b...firms-14594513

We already have a middle eastern channel in our TV listing, next will be a Chinese channel, and next will be Corvettes production moving to China.

轻武装快舰
100% Correct. The Made in USA Laws exist but, there's noooooo government agency in existence that police the laws. It's the fault of the USA distributors/retailers for contracting cheap products to overseas builders and outright lying to our face where the products are made in return for huge profits.

Plenty of dollars are made selling products to the American public who assume the USA distributors/retailers are honest.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont count on all your Moog stuff being made here

America is bleeding to death.....of self inflicted wounds. We did this to ourselves.
Yup!
Everyone has had thier excuse for buying cheap overseas ebay junk....and this is the result.

Bought a new GM block in the late 90s....hecho in Mexico
even china is hurting. other countries/islands are cutting their throats

Quick Reply: Did you know that Raybestos parts are in made in China?