Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

long-time, no-see

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default long-time, no-see

some of the long-time members of this section may recall me, and some discussions we had about racing strategies and ideas:
I haven't contributed much in the last 5 years

in February 2010, my fiancee injured her back while working at Lowes, and a few months later, while rehabbing from that injury, she was diagnosed with Stage III-C breast cancer
she spent the next 29 months fighting for her life, enduring a double mastectomy, various infections, 3 different rounds of chemo, radiation therapy, and even considered experimental treatments, but she eventually died in my arms 3 days after Christmas 2012, shortly after turning 58

on my birthday in August 2012, during her 2nd bout with chemo, she was too-sick to go out for dinner, or even buy me a card, but she walked into my office and threw a business envelope onto my lap, saying "this is my 401K ~ cash it in, get the car ready, so I can see you race one last time before I die"
I threw it back into her face, encouraging her to "get your health back ~ we'll use all of that envelope, heist a bank to get whatever-else we need, and THEN we'll go racing"

a few weeks after she passed, her co-worker called from the store, saying I'd been named to receive her 401K, and I thought-back to that conversation
I spent the remainder of 2013 looking at the front-end of passing freight trains, and thinking about going racing again

in November 2013, I contacted a guy who has a one-man chassis shop, Doug Carty, in Largo Florida, about having my one-owner, low-mileage 1979 Z28 Camaro back-halved, explaining that I wanted to put the biggest tire I could without radically changing the body, then use a mild SBC crate-motor, for something that would never, ever spin the tires
the last time I had raced the car, in 1993, the car spun the tires probably 30% of my runs (60' would vary 2-tenths), losing many rounds of eliminations, and I didn't want to endure that frustration again

after agreeing to a price, the car was delivered to his shop on 6 February 2014, and he said he'd have it done in "6-to-8 weeks"

two days later, he called, asking me to pick-up the parts he'd removed already, and to see what had been done

work continued at a feverish pace, with daily updates provided via facebook

20 days after dropping the car off, Doug (shown) called, saying "get this piece of crap OUTTA my shop!!!"

so I loaded the car-up, and brought it home

with the new rear-suspension, the front now sat way too-high, but that could, and would, be changed

over the last few years, I had helped Fuzzy Dice with his racing Camaro at local events, and observed how Rob Reynolds, owner of Space Coast Speed & Custom, had kept Dan's car running, and I had spoken to Rob about my idea of a little-motor / big-tire car being consistent, and although Rob always nodded his head, I believe he thought I was either kidding about under-powering a big-tire car like that, crazy for cutting-up a pristine car, or both
Rob is also a stellar racer in his-own right, often winning races each season at multiple tracks

once the Z28 was back-halved, he took me more-seriously, and we began discussing alternatives to a GM-built 'spec-racing' crate-motor for this project
after a few talks, we decided to build a .030"-over 350 engine, run it on alcohol for consistency, but use stronger parts than we needed, for durability ~ 4-bolt block, Eagle crank & rods, Mahle pistons, bullet-proof shaft-mounted rocker-arms, etc., but a relatively mild solid-lifter cam, to limit RPM & keep the thing maintenance-free as we could

we also swapped-out the THM-400 transmission for a PowerGlide, 8" spragless converter, and an electric, RPM-activated shifter, again hoping to be as consistent as possible
the car had sat in-storage since the 1993 NHRA Division 1 E.T. Finals (I got down to the last 5 cars when the transmission broke, and I had my opponent covered, giving me what would've been an odd-lot bye-run into the Final Round), so Rob also rebuilt the entire front-end, including the brakes, making sure the car would stop, and used drop-spindles to get the nose down to a proper height

I brought the car back from Space Coast Speed & Custom last week with it's new drive-train & lowered stance

because we retained the original seats, the shoulder harnesses don't fit snugly on my shoulders, and before it goes down the track, we need to have the seats 'notched', so the belts can pass-through them
the entire interior will receive fresh Black carpet, including the aluminum done during the back-half, then the car will get fresh paint, as much of the now 36 year-old enamel is flaking & falling off the car in large pieces

I hope to get her down the track in mid 2015, and will try to keep you informed of how this is progressing, as-well-as check-in when Dan posts his updates
my car certainly won't be the fastest (it'll probably be the slowest big-tire car in history, but it wasn't built with the intention of going quick or fast), but if it can run the number when others can't, and if I can still cut a light, I may win a few rounds now & then

Last edited by Glensgages; 11-24-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see you back. Sorry to hear about your fiancee. May she rest in peace and be blessed by God. That's a good looking Camaro you have. I had bought a 1979 Z/28 new Liked the car. I will be ordering a 2015 C7. It will be torch red with jet black interior, 7 speed manual Z/51 with chrome wheels. Plan on ordering in Jan and should have it in March.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great hearing from you again Glen...it's been too long since we chatted.

The car looks amazing (even for a Chevy)! With your well thought out combo that thing should hook on marbles. Looking forward to talking "shop" with you again real soon.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:42 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, nice build
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks for stopping in to say hi. Nice to have you back. The car looks great.

I hope to get time to visit you this winter.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That Z28 looks badass, good luck and enjoy it.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

The car looks great, Glen...I love the stance...when you bring her out let me know and I will help you this time...lol...you will then remember how good it feels when that tree drops...woot!....
Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Dave-T
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to see you back. So sorry to hear about your fiancee. Car looks great and best of luck with it.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow-Glen....that is a very long road you have traveled with your old, now new Z-28. It is unfortunate Marian could not have seen the transformation, but sure she will be observing from above.

You have much sentiment attached to your car and will continue to be a pristine piece anyone would be proud to own, while being a memorial to Marian. You have my BEST WISHES for future racing success with it. If ever I can assist in some way, just ask.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for the update on your sitch Glen, and my sincerest condolences regarding your fiance.

It's been awhile, but we pm'd each other a few years back when I was racing my Red Formula in what was the Corvette/GM Challenge down here at the old Moroso, now PBIR track.

We spoke of the "gages" moniker, your older Vette, and the like.

You have a great looking car there, a wonderful outcome on a super thought for you from your lady.

Along with you and Fuzzy, hopefully we'll see you down here soon, or when I'm up your track way with Dino.

Best regards Gent!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:14 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Glen, glad to see that you will be getting the car back onto the track. So sorry for your loss. Robert
Old 11-13-2014, 08:47 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Glen. Nice to hear from you again. I know JP would have loved the out come of your project. Good luck getting it completed
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The car looks great, will see you in lakeland the next time I come up.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Welcome back Glen. Very sorry for your loss.The Camaro looks great. All the best.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

thanks for the warm reception back to this site

I don't have any real definite plans for racing, other-than to go racing where I want, when I want, if I want:
my days of chasing points are done, but I'm lucky in-that I can tow to either Bradenton or Orlando in under 2 hours, be at Immokalee or Gainesville in less-than 3 hours, while Palm Beach or South Georgia (Valdosta) is less-than 4 hours away, and I can hear the burnouts performed from Lakeland Drag Strip from my backyard, so I won't feel pushed into loading-up and towing to a particular track when it looks-like rain

because I'll swap-feet off the bottom bulb with the car, I can enter both Super Pro or Sportsman at each of these tracks, so I could race twice for a single towing expense:
maybe I can give those recycled swing-sets fits at the Finish Line with my unusually slow trap-speeds
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First I'm very sorry for your loss. I met you a few times & thought you were one of the nicest guys. Very knowledgeable about the sport. The Z looks great. I think you will turn it into a legend in time. GL & let us know when you test & tune. I would love to see it on the track.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:14 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Glen, it's good to see you're back. I missed your posts through the last few years..

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your wife..God will give you the strength to move forward with your life.. I believe the best thing you can do for you and her is honor her wishes (as you have done) and go racing!

The car looks KILLER! I gotta say tho, for that much tire and that killer of a suspension, that thing needs a nasty big block! A pump gas 540 and plate kit...run mid to low 9s and still street drive it everywhere.

Bracket race it on motor and detune it a bit to run say 10.00s... 10.00 power will hook all day long on the crappiest tracks with your chasis.

Welcome back to the game.

Get notified of new replies

To long-time, no-see

Old 02-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

got a little bit of progress to report on my junk

the shoulder belts fell down-over the sides of the seats, so the car couldn't be run as it was, and the seats needed modified

Forum-member beachdude recently had an interior done in his highly modified '64 convertible,
and suggested that I contact his guy, Mike Egan, near the Gulf Coast

after a short talk, we agreed that he would rectify this problem, and install new carpet throughout the entire interior,
including the tin-work done when the car was back-halved in Feb '14

first, the steel frame of the seat needed cut, so the belts could pass-through

note how this slot was wrapped, providing protection, so that the steel wouldn't chaff & eventually cut the belts

next, the foam needed modified, and re-installed onto the frame

finally, the original vinyl (yes, VINYL) covers were modified, and fitted to the frame

next, he added some insulation to the floor, hoping to deaden the open-headers and keep the interior somewhat cooler

lastly, the interior will receive new Black carpeting, as-shown here on the rear shelf

she'll be done at the upholstery shop in another few days, then I get in-line at the paint shop for a fresh coat of paint,
before I take her to the strip, and make a toal *** of myself

Last edited by Glensgages; 02-10-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That is a really nice car.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Glen - I missed this thread originally. It's great to see you back. The Z28 project should be a sweet bracket car. I know you will only be racing "casually" but I'm looking forward to hearing the stories.

Quick Reply: long-time, no-see