C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Air Bag light & Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 AM
FrankPC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermittent Air Bag light & Recall

I have a 2008 with 19,000 miles. Just started getting the dreaded intermittent air bag alert. Also just got my headlight jumper wire recall letter.

My question is, when I take the car in for the recall, if I were to ask them to take a look at the airbag issue, would I be charged for the inspection and possible easy fix if it is the bad connector issue?

I dislike the idea of allowing GM to mess with my car and worse, I hate paying GM for the repair of a safety issue, which should have been handled by a recall already.

The truly great news is this is the first problem I have had with my Vette during the seven years I've owned it.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airbag is the yellow connector under the rear of the driver seat, just needs a zip tie; search here, and do NOT let the dealer diagnose it; you will pay a bunch of money and have a messed up car.

I am undecided on letting the dealer do the headlight fix; on the last recall (active handling telescopic column connector), there were more problems created than solved.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankPC
I have a 2008 with 19,000 miles. Just started getting the dreaded intermittent air bag alert. Also just got my headlight jumper wire recall letter.

My question is, when I take the car in for the recall, if I were to ask them to take a look at the airbag issue, would I be charged for the inspection and possible easy fix if it is the bad connector issue?

I dislike the idea of allowing GM to mess with my car and worse, I hate paying GM for the repair of a safety issue, which should have been handled by a recall already.

The truly great news is this is the first problem I have had with my Vette during the seven years I've owned it.

Thanks for your time.
As the other member stated, the air bag light is most likely due to a loose connection. A zip tie to keep the yellow connector under the driver seat should fix your problem.
Here is a pic

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-25-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 AM
FrankPC
Intermediate

Thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and check the connectors. I have never taken the car to the dealer since I bought it, and I really hated the idea of starting that practice now. But I figured if I could get two things done at the same time: then maybe.

But I won't plan on taking it in for either issue.

Thanks for the great pictures, encouragement, and confirmation.

Frank
Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If you move the seat forward and aft often, the problem is even more likely to be the connector under the seat.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Airbag light can be a connector, as others mentioned. On our car; it turned out to be a bad wire in the seat belt pre-tensioner, the stalk that has the female end of the seat belt buckle. Driver side, in our case.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Highwayman
Racer

I'm currently having the same problem on my '06. I took it in for the headlight fix, and discussed the problem. Sometimes moving the seat forward/back, or adjusting its height, will make the light go out. So I'm leaning toward the connector under the seat as the first place to check. I've already had the power connector for moving the seat come apart.

The service manager said if the light is on, the air bag will not work. Is there any way to determine if anyone has been hurt or killed, as a result of the air bag not working?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:27 AM
blk08vert
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Highwayman
I'm currently having the same problem on my '06. I took it in for the headlight fix, and discussed the problem. Sometimes moving the seat forward/back, or adjusting its height, will make the light go out. So I'm leaning toward the connector under the seat as the first place to check. I've already had the power connector for moving the seat come apart.

The service manager said if the light is on, the air bag will not work. Is there any way to determine if anyone has been hurt or killed, as a result of the air bag not working?
Highwayman,
I will take my 08 convertible to an Evansville dealership for the headlight warranty. My airbag light started coming on last fall(yellow connecter I guess). Did they do a good job on the headlight fix? Sorry about the highjack of thread. Thanks blk08vert
Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Light coming on 2005 which was driving me crazy. Cleaned connectors and zip tied on both seats without success.

Driver side seat belt had been retracting slowly so I cleaned it (soaked in water with laundry detergent then cleaned with upholstery cleaner with a brush). The belt now retracts and the light goes off as it should. I think the slow retracting belt (had to feed the belt by hand) was interfering with the pretensioner.

So far so good!

Dave

Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

...The service manager said if the light is on, the air bag will not work. Is there any way to determine if anyone has been hurt or killed, as a result of the air bag not working?
For once a service manager said something that was right about a C6.

As far as anyone being injured by an airbag not working, you are more likely to be injured by the airbag if you are not wearing a seat belt.

Even though airbags save lives and reduce injuries, they can also cause cardiac and pulmonary injuries and death, especially if the driver or passenger is not wearing a seatbelt.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819375
https://www.amstat.org/newsroom/pdfs...ntsAirbags.pdf

Air bags alone do little to prevent injuries.
The injury-reducing effectiveness of the air bag alone, without the use of safety belts, was estimated to be 18 percent, and was not significantly better than being unrestrained.
...Frontal crashes are where the air bag is most likely to deploy, suggesting that deployment may result in increased risk of moderate injury in some situations.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/a...2e.html#sec2.5

You really want to see that explosion just inches from your face?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
FrankPC
Intermediate

Default Recall letter for intermittent air bag light?

I received a letter from GM for my 2008 maybe 3 months ago. I can't find the letter now, but I could swear it said there was a recall for it.

I called the service department today to schedule an appointment for that and two other recalls, but they tell me they see nothing about it.

Anyone else receive the letter about the intermittent airbag light? Or was that letter for something else.

Had to do with wire harness connector coming loose and causing airbag light to be illuminated.

Update: Now in possession of the letter dated May 2016. Has code number 15643. I think this is the same subject as discussed above.

Last edited by FrankPC; 08-22-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 PM
LCSteve
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I received a letter from GM for my 2008 maybe 3 months ago. I can't find the letter now, but I could swear it said there was a recall for it.

I called the service department today to schedule an appointment for that and two other recalls, but they tell me they see nothing about it.

Anyone else receive the letter about the intermittent airbag light? Or was that letter for something else.

Had to do with wire harness connector coming loose and causing airbag light to be illuminated.

Update: Now in possession of the letter dated May 2016. Has code number 15643. I think this is the same subject as discussed above.
Your right this is a pretty new recall and my dealer didn't know about it either when I stopped by. Thankfully I brought my letter with me. I had the service done on the car a few weeks later as only 1 tech in the joint knew how to solder the wires. So far the light hasn't come back on but now the seat creaks going from the further back point forward for a little bit almost like his knew wires are fighting the seat.

I had originally used the zip tie fix on my 2013 seat but the problem returned some 3 or 4 months later. My wires were really chewed up outside the plug as it looks like they were crushed in the seat track at some point.

Steve
Old 08-26-2016, 12:44 PM
FrankPC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LCSteve
Your right this is a pretty new recall and my dealer didn't know about it either when I stopped by.
Steve
Thanks Steve. My light hasn't come on either. I haven't moved the seat. Perhaps I should make sure I don't have another problem with it.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:39 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

My understanding is it is only fixed if the light is on. I don't believe it is a general recall but if you have a problem within 10 years they will fix it.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:37 PM
RogerTheDodger
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just had the light come on, after smog test. Turns out, the smog guy is 6' 6" 250+lbs.
He had to move the seat all the way back and all the way down to get in the car, causing the connector to rub the carpet. I removed the seat, installed 2 ties per photo. Hope it is fixed. I got the letter dated May 2016 extending this issue warranteed 10 years. Dealer says it is not a recall.
Thank you corvetteforums.
Roger
Old 08-27-2016, 01:43 PM
FrankPC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RogerTheDodger
Dealer says it is not a recall.
Thank you corvetteforums.
Roger
Yes. The dealer told me it wasn't a recall as well. However, I explained that indeed the light comes on intermittently and with that, they performed the work with no charge.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:52 PM
RogerTheDodger
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I notice when the seat is down and all the way back, it comes close to the connector.
Maybe remove a piece of carpet to allow clearance for the connector?

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Air Bag light & Recall

Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM
FrankPC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RogerTheDodger
I notice when the seat is down and all the way back, it comes close to the connector.
Maybe remove a piece of carpet to allow clearance for the connector?
I never took the time to look under the seat. Also, I haven't moved that seat in the past 7 years. The light started intermittently coming on maybe a year ago.

They said they had to order parts to affect the repair. So that could mean they indeed had to change something. But I don't know.

As you probably found, there is some excellent advice in this thread regarding a DIY repair.

Last edited by FrankPC; 08-27-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:27 PM
64Ragtop
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem with my 06. Unfortunately GM would not pay for the fix. Fortunately i had a bumper to bumper after market warranty. The problem was the seat belt pretensioner which the tech took about 10 minutes to replace. The cost for the repair was well over $400.00. Lucky for me i had a $100.00 deductable.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:58 PM
rwj15288
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I received the same recall code,my light has not come on for nearly a year, but today July 1 2017 while the wife and I were out for a ride, there it is!! Had to hunt for my letter but yes found it, same code you show, now to find a dealer I trust , not sure about that or take it to my personal mechanic, which not only do I trust but think of him as a friend ! I don't have to think very long !!! If I were to catch some guy beating the **** out of my car I would have to bust an *** ! GM should have known a harness dragging on carpet would cause issues !!! let me think zip tie at their true cost what you all think maybe one or two cents !! Shame on you GM !!

Quick Reply: Intermittent Air Bag light & Recall