Sponsored by:

Automatic shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Mr.Anderson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automatic shift lever

All of a sudden I am unable to turn over the engine in the park position. As I move the shifter to neutral the car will start. The shift indicator is now one position off. Can anyone give me steps to take to troubleshoot this problem?

I have the console cover off and the shift boot pulled up out of the way. I don't see anything disconnected or broken.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson
All of a sudden I am unable to turn over the engine in the park position. As I move the shifter to neutral the car will start. The shift indicator is now one position off. Can anyone give me steps to take to troubleshoot this problem?

I have the console cover off and the shift boot pulled up out of the way. I don't see anything disconnected or broken.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Check the cable connection at the transmission, the plastic snap clip that holds the cable to the gear lever may have come loose or broke.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2015, 07:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Your issue is at the tranny, not at the shifter. If you don't find a simple fix let us know, but I will not be able to help without knowing what year your car is. You need to put that info in your profile so it shows up or add it to your posts.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Mr.Anderson
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Your issue is at the tranny, not at the shifter. If you don't find a simple fix let us know, but I will not be able to help without knowing what year your car is. You need to put that info in your profile so it shows up or add it to your posts.

Yes, I did forget that bit of info. Sorry. 1998 coupe and I'll be checking it tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you all posted on the finding. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM
edlebron
1st Gear

Default Auto trans shifter unresponsive 04 C5

Shouting out for some assist for my 04 C5. Looks like the shifter cable disconnected. Car will not start as its currently in reverse. Shifter is very loose.

Thks!

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic shift lever

Quick Reply: Automatic shift lever