Sponsored by:

A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Default A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

TPW is 6/22. I went back and forth on the transmission issue and ultimately picked the A8.

Recently I've come across a few issues and annoyances expressed by owners:

1. First to second gear shift hesitation (my main concern). This may have been addressed by a software update but I haven't been able to confirm it.
2. Overheating on the track (not really a concern of mine as I won't track the car)
3. Active fuel management always active except in manual mode

I'm hoping to hear experiences and impressions from those that opted for this transmission.

Thank you.

Last edited by docprego; 06-09-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Popular Reply

09-16-2015, 12:58 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Senior Teen
So let us know when your tracking your vette ? Forgive me if I am mistaken ? I thought the fun factor is the reason for 95 percent of vette purchases and I was not trying to take this post offtrack. I felt the fun factor or lack of it also needed to be addressed in the choice of an A8. A few years down the road when younger drivers can afford a used C7 the 7 speeds will be the one's they look for. I guess when some of us get older we lose the fun factor that was the thrill when we drove the muscle cars. At the place I work we had a beautiful 67 hemi numbers match , and they raved at how fast the automatic was . Yet we had to return the car back to the owner as we could not sell it. Every one that looked at it said the same thing " If only it was a 4 speed. So all I want people that ask "auto or stick " ? Again ask yourself." Am I going to the drag strip or road race (Only a 10 th of a second difference and still more fun at the track with a stick ) or am I buying it for the fun factor ? The answer will be obvious for the purpose of your purchase. Now you really have all the info to make your choice that the A8 owners forgot about to include in there reviews of living with an A8 . Thank You ! No Applause necessary !
Always find it 'interesting' when someone has an opinion and then assumes their opinion is the one that everyone else's should revolve around. So here is mine:
* To each their own.
* I've had a lot of stick cars and a lot of automatic cars. Bought my C7 with an A8 and love it. Great trans. This is my answer for the OP. Now a bit more:
* If someone prefers a manual in their C7 for whatever reasons, I definitely respect that - their choice if it's more 'fun' for them or more suited to what they want to do with the car.
* I couldn't care less what trans some future buyer of a C7 wants in a few years - let alone 40-50 years from now. I bought this C7 for me, not for some unknown person.
* 'Fun factor' is a personal thing. Just because someone thinks a manual or A8 is more fun than the other - again, couldn't care less. I bought this one for me. If I didn't like the A8 I'd sell it and get something else.
* Assuming that a C7 buyer is going to make the choice of transmissions based on 'am I going to track the car or drag it' is a false argument. There are many other reasons to buy a C7. Many buy them to take road trips and just enjoy driving fun roads with their spouse or whomever. Like many others, 1/10th of a second never even entered into the decision. There are always faster cars. Who cares? (Before you assume that I don't like racing: I campaigned cars in SS/D and MP. Also crewed for Stavola Bros. in Winston Cup. I've always owned fast cars.).
* I don't 'live' with an A8. I relish it every time I drive it.
* One thing you did get right: I'm sure that the 'fun factor' was one of the main reasons many of us purchased our C7s. But tying the 'fun factor' to having to have an M7 is (I'll use 'entertaining').

There, I feel better now.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:30 PM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no regrets with the A8. The shifting at WOT is awesome. You cannot shift as fast the computer and when in traffic it's nice not to have to be clutching. The trans is adaptive as it will learn your driving patterns, I believe that's where most owners are having issues from new.(it gets better).
If I had a decent nearby track and not a lot of traffic to contend with, the M7 would be in my garage. It's certainly more sporty and for the track, no overheating issues and better control over the car.
My 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
TPW is 6/22. I went back and forth on the transmission issue and ultimately picked the A8.

Recently I've come across a few things from owners having problems with theirs:

1. First to second gear shift hesitation (my main concern). This may have been addressed by a software update but I haven't been able to confirm it.
2. Overheating on the track (not really a concern of mine as I won't track the car)

I'm hoping to hear experiences and impressions from those that opted for this transmission.

Thank you.
I have had my A8 since Oct 14 and it is a very nice transmission, it shifts very quick at high RPMs and very smooth at lower RPMs. You will notice when cold the 1st to 2nd is a bit klunky but nothing big and not all the time, after warm smooth on the same shift. There are many things you can do with the paddles, hit the - once then hold it and it will automatically down shift to it's lowest available gear (Based on speed) From the paddles you can go into the manual mode by hitting + or - it will stay for a few seconds until it feels your done playing with it.

On another note I did track the car nothing big two lead and follows, then one open 20 minute session where I used 3,4,&5 only and manually shifted, it was 82 degrees and I had no over heating problems. I will assume if you do multiple hot sessions you might have a heating problem in high outdoor temps.

Overall I love this A8, you will not be disappointed being you do not track the car.
The following users liked this post:
egp (09-24-2016)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM
kstine98
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I had no idea it was adaptive. Is that true of the A6 also?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM
rockerontour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love the a8

Originally Posted by BRCC
I have had my A8 since Oct 14 and it is a very nice transmission, it shifts very quick at high RPMs and very smooth at lower RPMs. You will notice when cold the 1st to 2nd is a bit klunky but nothing big and not all the time, after warm smooth on the same shift.
100% CORRECT! I only notice the rough 1 to 2 shift maybe the first time it shifts if the car isnt warmed up,thats about it.
I am no expert as i have only logged about 800 miles on my 2015 A8 vert but this is the best car i have ever driven let alone owned. I love it and anyone chosing the A8 will NOT be disappointed! it shifts very fast too. This is the first automatic transmition car that i have owned(not counting vans/trucks) and I dont miss shifting at all!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Had a massive violent 2-1 downshift (single event) with the beautiful loud clunk and lunge so far, but only once and other than that has been flawless, including 1-2 shifts and my usual paddle use over full auto. Many cars have adaptive transmissions that require a learning curve, the A8 just seems to have a few more special kids in the class for it's entry year.

I got it for the PDK territory hype, and I have to say I am impressed with shift speeds.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I have had no issues with my A8. Shifts are very quick.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Thank you all, appreciate the feedback.

Let's expand this to include your thoughts on the active fuel management feature as well.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Will yours be a 2016? If so, the 2016 will have a secondary transmission cooler. If its 2015 then no.

I love the car. Transmission performs really good and is a blast when you get on it but it will overheat if you take it to the track or if you push it on canyon road. The shift will become really slow and the car will go into limp mode.
If you are not planning to track the car then you have nothing to worry about. The overheating issue will be solved either GM or an aftermarket option eventually. I looked into aftermarket options and I was quoted between 2k and 3k. We are pushing for GM to address the issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-upgrade.html

We are also trying to get enough votes to have Tadge address the issue.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-2015-a.html
Old 06-09-2015, 07:24 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Will yours be a 2016? If so, the 2016 will have a secondary transmission cooler. If its 2015 then no.

I love the car. Transmission performs really good and is a blast when you get on it but it will overheat if you take it to the track or if you push it on canyon road. The shift will become really slow and the car will go into limp mode.
If you are not planning to track the car then you have nothing to worry about. The overheating issue will be solved either GM or an aftermarket option eventually. I looked into aftermarket options and I was quoted between 2k and 3k. We are pushing for GM to address the issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-upgrade.html

We are also trying to get enough votes to have Tadge address the issue.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-2015-a.html

It is a 2016 and I will never track the car. Is the second transmission cooler confirmed or rumor?

My main concerns are actually the 1-2 shift hesitation and AFM.

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a 2016 and I will never track the car. Is the second transmission cooler confirmed or rumor?

Thank you.
Got the A8 and love it!! Would never even consider changing back to a manual!
If you're going to "track" your car get the A8!
If you're only going to enjoy your car - get the A8!
If you're going to drive in traffic, get the A8!
If you're never going to drive in traffic, get the A8!
If you're not a "World class" driver get the A8"
If you ARE a "World Class" driver get the A8!

If you DON'T get the A8 - you're nothing but a Luddite!
The following 3 users liked this post by OC Sadler:
egp (09-24-2016), Rwp315 (06-10-2016), vdavenp802 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

A8 owners: are you satisfied?

Absolutely!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OC Sadler
Got the A8 and love it!! Would never even consider changing back to a manual!
If you're going to "track" your car get the A8!
If you're only going to enjoy your car - get the A8!
If you're going to drive in traffic, get the A8!
If you're never going to drive in traffic, get the A8!
If you're not a "World class" driver get the A8"
If you ARE a "World Class" driver get the A8!

If you DON'T get the A8 - you're nothing but a Luddite!
Luddite!

So I guess you like the A8?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

No problems to date (about 2300 miles). A8 is a delight so far, glad I ordered it this way. Oh, it is adaptive, really.

I do not notice AFM maneuvers. Only way I know which mode is through the DIC. Not important enough to me to keep it displayed.

Again, seems a very fine transmission.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I would not hesitate to order another C7 with the A8. In fact I'm going to, right after next years bash and I see what the '17 brings to the table.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

I LOVE IT!!! have and not a single issue......nothing but a positive experience and I am in my 13th week since I picked up my car.....and have put 8500 miles on her......LOTS OF PERMASMILE :{D
Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by clegg
I have no regrets with the A8. The shifting at WOT is awesome. You cannot shift as fast the computer and when in traffic it's nice not to have to be clutching. The trans is adaptive as it will learn your driving patterns, I believe that's where most owners are having issues from new.(it gets better).
If I had a decent nearby track and not a lot of traffic to contend with, the M7 would be in my garage. It's certainly more sporty and for the track, no overheating issues and better control over the car.
My 2 cents.
Better control, how? You have Manila mode plus paddles at any time.
I think the A8 give you more/better control, what am I missing.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 owners: Are you satisfied?

Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

I like the a8, it is the best automatic transmission I've seen except for my Ram. The Corvette shifts fantastic after you get miles on it and the 1/2 shift is perfect after the first shift and is perfect 90% of the time on the first shift. Throttle management has issues to me and AFM I can do without...

Overall I love it but would also love the stick and I occasionally miss it as 6 of my last 8 have been sticks.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Thank you.
Confirmed by Tadge (Corvette chief engineer). Congrats
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

It is a must have no brainer, Love it.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (06-09-2016)

Quick Reply: A8 owners: Are you satisfied?