C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech intake with Nomex

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:58 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Halltech intake with Nomex

Hey guys, my new Halltech (Gen 2) intake will be here on Monday. I also have the 17" Nomex sock (sleeve) as well. Here's my question... Would it not be a good idea to wrap the entire intake tube with a reflective heat tape/wrap BEFORE I install the Nomex sock? Seems like it would really help keep the heat at bay and since it's going to be covered by the Nomex anyways, it would look decent.

Thoughts. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I think this is a good question.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
I think this is a good question.
Hey thanks. I thought so.....
Old 08-14-2015, 09:29 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Good question??
Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Hey guys, my new Halltech (Gen 2) intake will be here on Monday. I also have the 17" Nomex sock (sleeve) as well. Here's my question... Would it not be a good idea to wrap the entire intake tube with a reflective heat tape/wrap BEFORE I install the Nomex sock? Seems like it would really help keep the heat at bay and since it's going to be covered by the Nomex anyways, it would look decent.

Thoughts. Thanks!
Of course it would. Any insulator will reduce heat transfer. The more the better, at the expense of weight. It's very difficult to get the main coolant hoses to not directly touch the intake tube... this is the main difficulty in the Halltech installation, in my opinion. I'm hoping to readdress it when I swap mine out for the Gen 2. Wrapping will definitely help reduce intake air temps as long as the material used won't be adversely affected by the heat or touch anything that burns it.
The following users liked this post:
lotti (09-12-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 12:04 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
Of course it would. Any insulator will reduce heat transfer. The more the better, at the expense of weight. It's very difficult to get the main coolant hoses to not directly touch the intake tube... this is the main difficulty in the Halltech installation, in my opinion. I'm hoping to readdress it when I swap mine out for the Gen 2. Wrapping will definitely help reduce intake air temps as long as the material used won't be adversely affected by the heat or touch anything that burns it.
Will reflective tape still work if covered by the Nomex?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

No additional heat shielding is necessary for the intake tube. You could get some aluminum ceramic type for the airbox where it faces the engine.

All Nomex orders ship today unless you ordered it with your Stinger-RZ order, which will ship installed on the intake.

I will have installation instructions later today. Super Simple.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
No additional heat shielding is necessary for the intake tube. You could get some aluminum ceramic type for the airbox where it faces the engine.

All Nomex orders ship today unless you ordered it with your Stinger-RZ order, which will ship installed on the intake.

Jim how do I order this? I haven't had a chance to install my gen 2 so it will be better if I can do it all at the same time.
Herman
Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

The only reason that I ask Jim, is that I put the Nomex "sleeve" on my arm yesterday and used a heat gun to heat it up. There was almost no difference to the feeling of the covered and uncovered skin. I thought wrapping the intake tube might help deflect more heat?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

The only reason that I ask Jim, is that I put the Nomex "sleeve" on my arm yesterday and used a heat gun to heat it up. There was almost no difference to the feeling of the covered and uncovered skin. I thought wrapping the intake tube might help deflect more heat?
Would you try the flame test we did on your arm? 500 to 600 degrees, and only +10 degrees rise in temp. That would not have occured if the Nomex hadn't finally burned away. We had done 6 previous tests.

You can put whatever you want on the intake tube, but I doubt you will be able to get the sock over the tube. It has Spandex (17%) but it is very tight.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Jim how do I order this? I haven't had a chance to install my gen 2 so it will be better if I can do it all at the same time.
Herman
http://www.halltechsystems.com/product-p/nomex.htm
Old 08-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Will reflective tape still work if covered by the Nomex?
Reflective tape has to be exposed to the heat source in order to work. You would be better off using it on the airbox.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Nomex has excellent heat protection as well as flame protection

You have all seen the spark plug Nomex shields. Here is an article on automotive uses.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...ark-plugs.html
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Would you try the flame test we did on your arm? 500 to 600 degrees, and only +10 degrees rise in temp. That would not have occured if the Nomex hadn't finally burned away. We had done 6 previous tests.

You can put whatever you want on the intake tube, but I doubt you will be able to get the sock over the tube. It has Spandex (17%) but it is very tight.
Ok, thanks. It was just my curiousity test. Certainly not very scientific. I will trust your knowledge and only use the Nomex sleeve on the tube.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Propane Flame Temperature is 3623F in air

Boy was I underestimating the flame temperature of propane.
A propane torch is a tool for burning the flammable gas propane (C3H8). The maximum adiabatic flame temperature a propane torch can achieve with air is 1,995 °C (3,623 °F).
So when my arm was inside the plastic intake tube, with a very thin Nomex barrier, it was resisting 3,623F temps. The temperature did not increase at all during the test until the Nomex finally gave up the ghost.

It was the seventh test that day in the same spot, and the Spandex may have been the culprit in it finally going to the grave. Interestingly the plastic melts at 280F and it was unscathed after the test.

Hot air guns reach 1100F.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Ok, thanks. It was just my curiousity test. Certainly not very scientific. I will trust your knowledge and only use the Nomex sleeve on the tube.
Typically we seen 140F underhood temps. It will be interesting to see some before and after testing of the IATs. It was easy to illustrate the heat insulation benefits using temps that will never be seen under your hood.

I have one going to a racer who will do before and after testing.

We offer 100% money back guarantee if this does not help stave off heat soak from the radiator fan.

Last edited by Halltech; 08-15-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Typically we seen 140F underhood temps. It will be interesting to see some before and after testing of the IATs. It was easy to illustrate the heat insulation benefits using temps that will never be seen under your hood.

I have one going to a racer who will do before and after testing.

We offer 100% money back guarantee if this does not help stave off heat soak from the radiator fan.
Cool, thanks Jim. You continue to impress. Can't wait to get out to the drag strip next Friday night and see what she can do?

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech intake with Nomex

Old 08-15-2015, 12:32 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Thanks Jim. I ordered it.
H
Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Jim on a different note. Do you think you could fix a nomex boot that would fit the power steering unit? That might solve a few problems as well. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Jim on a different note. Do you think you could fix a nomex boot that would fit the power steering unit? That might solve a few problems as well. Thanks.
yes. In fact I have Nomex strips that would work, but I will order a Power steering unit and see what I can do.

BTW. Those that have purchased our CKNZ (Carbon, Kevlar, Nomex IIIa) Z06 system, the Nomex is actually integrated into the middle of the outer and inner layers) We have a patent pending on that design.

The Nomex installed:

Last edited by Halltech; 08-15-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Halltech intake with Nomex