C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Willcox rear hatch weatherstrip fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:05 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Willcox rear hatch weatherstrip fail

Spent 3 hours installing this a few weeks ago and open my hatch today and find this. I am beyond upset. I bought the whole kit from Willcox and this was the main reason I bought it. Not sure if I should even bother with the rest or just send it back. I am down $380 and 3 hours of my time and back to square one. I put my car in a lot of shows and want it perfect. I have not contacted Willcox yet but plan to do so.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

They do that. There are some Corvette parts venders who offer a rear hatch weatherstrip that is hot melted at the corners instead of glued.

The hot melted shouldn't separate what they say.

Maybe Willcox could start selling the hot melted version instead of the glued version?

Though I had my Willcox split at the corners and also had a problem of one whole side of the stripping come unglued from the plastic part that snaps into the body of the car. It was the side that got a lot of sun, so the adhesive used isn't high temp adhesive or the adhesive was bad.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Here's mine after about 14 months.
Wilcox basically implied "sucks to be you" as it's been more than 1 year
Maybe because you are not over a year, they'll do something about it.

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 08-20-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Yea, mine has been 2 weeks. Maybe they should tell you when you buy it that " it will seperate." I would not have wasted my money. My other weatherstrip was fine, just seperated in the corners. Now I have spent $380 and it is still seperated in the corners. There must be a better way to make this stuff. I would be willing to pay more for a piece that will not seperate.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:09 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

OK guys. Her is the deal. Wicox provides seals that are made in the USA with the exception of the hatch seal. That seal is no longer made in the US and must be imported and of course it is inferior in quality. Now, the other problem is how it is installed. Watch Wilcox's Utube video. I do agree a customer should be advised as to the potential problems with this seal.
JW
Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by J W Drew
OK guys. Her is the deal. Wicox provides seals that are made in the USA with the exception of the hatch seal. That seal is no longer made in the US and must be imported and of course it is inferior in quality. Now, the other problem is how it is installed. Watch Wilcox's Utube video. I do agree a customer should be advised as to the potential problems with this seal.
JW
after doing it their way, I wouldn't do it that way again. I'd install the corners as tight as I could and then work toward the center from there
Old 08-20-2015, 04:58 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

I watched the video and did exactly like they said. I really don't think it matters. The way this stuff is made it will seperate no matter what.When you close the hatch it puts a huge strain on the corner where the two pieces are connected. It needs to be made out of 1 piece somehow. Just a big waste of time and money.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:44 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
after doing it their way, I wouldn't do it that way again. I'd install the corners as tight as I could and then work toward the center from there
I agree. I've had problems installing it the Willcox way. It's hard to find the middle and start at the car in the middle. I also noticed that the corners didn't want to press all the way in.

Last time I started in the corners and worked my way to the middle. It was a breeze, and the corners stayed in place and I didn't have to mess with measuring anything.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:46 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 85vetteguy
I watched the video and did exactly like they said. I really don't think it matters. The way this stuff is made it will seperate no matter what.When you close the hatch it puts a huge strain on the corner where the two pieces are connected. It needs to be made out of 1 piece somehow. Just a big waste of time and money.
There's a version out there that the corners are hot melted together and NOT glued. Willcox should start selling the hot melted version.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by colter
There's a version out there that the corners are hot melted together and NOT glued. Willcox should start selling the hot melted version.
Had three go bad then ordered one from http://www.steelerubber.com/ and so far no problems. It fits perfect in the corners. Will post a picture. More expensive bur effective so far. Wilcox is an OK company and this is not their fault.

Last edited by kenmohr; 08-21-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Another Willcox weather strip fail...

The good news first, Willcox is replacing the defective weatherstrip piece that I received today without any problems, no issue. They are being a standup company about it. (It's the part that fits on the targa top and seals the side window when the window is fully raised.) Ordered two (passenger and driver's side) the pass side was defective.
Bad news is I'm concerned because it appears there's several places where the strip is "welded" and could start to come apart.
Is Willcox lowering their standards or now buying from a different vendor?
See attached...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 08-21-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:46 PM
daren_p
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this one back. Ordered a hatch seal from Willcox (actually ordered all seals) & it failed on us as well (actually the one corner had a small tear before it was even installed). Within opening the hatch a couple times both started to rip out & with probably less then 10 open & shuts both corners are completely torn.

Originally Posted by kenmohr

Had three go bad then ordered one from http://www.steelerubber.com/ and so far no problems. It fits perfect in the corners. Will post a picture. More expensive bur effective so far. Wilcox is an OK company and this is not their fault.

Might have to order one of these instead, is this still holding up well? On install did you start at the corners & work towards the middle or the other way around? And did you use any adhesive, etc, or just push it in place?

Last edited by daren_p; 07-14-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Went
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

I purchased the steel rubber rear seal. It fit pretty good into the corners. I fit the corners first and worked to the middle. I keep those two corners lubricated so the glass doesn't drag against the corners so badly.

Last edited by Went; 07-14-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by daren_p
Bringing this one back. Ordered a hatch seal from Willcox (actually ordered all seals) & it failed on us as well (actually the one corner had a small tear before it was even installed). Within opening the hatch a couple times both started to rip out & with probably less then 10 open & shuts both corners are completely torn.

Might have to order one of these instead, is this still holding up well? On install did you start at the corners & work towards the middle or the other way around? And did you use any adhesive, etc, or just push it in place?

These pics are today. Fits better now than when installed, still pleased, no glue. Started at the middle and worked to the corners.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Started at the middle and worked to the corners.
If you start in the middle, then work to the corners, be sure you don't stretch the rubber as you fit the corners. It's better if you actually compress the rubber just a little bit as you fit the corners.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:28 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

These pics are today. Fits better now than when installed, still pleased, no glue. Started at the middle and worked to the corners.
I checked it out... $180 and if it stays in place and works that well it's worth the price! Need to do mine too.

Also have to do the drivers side window sweep. NOT looking forward to that AT ALL
Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Dalesc4
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Willcox one to
Car as never been outside (in resto still)

Tore the corner out with in a few closes
(Have replaced the hinge pins)
And when I contracted them was told they all do it sorry
As I live in Australia I can't hair take it back
So I decided not to buy much off them again
Have spent 20k on my vettes with other people now
If I was told at the start I would have looked around
Money was no object
But was told that there was good so I ordered it
Not impressed

Get notified of new replies

To Willcox rear hatch weatherstrip fail

Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Memo
5th Gear

I have exactly the same issue on mine. Anyway to fix it? Glue it? Since I live in Turkey changing or asking for replacement is not an option I guess.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalesc4
I have a Willcox one to Car as never been outside (in resto still) Tore the corner out with in a few closes (Have replaced the hinge pins) And when I contracted them was told they all do it sorry As I live in Australia I can't hair take it back So I decided not to buy much off them again Have spent 20k on my vettes with other people now If I was told at the start I would have looked around Money was no object But was told that there was good so I ordered it Not impressed
Same here Dale. Mine also split while in the garage after about a week. Crap product. Why is it that GM could make it and have it last 20-30 years but now the aftermarket companies can't make them last a week?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 AM
daren_p
5th Gear

Great, thanks for the info. Looks like we'll order one of these instead.

Quick Reply: Willcox rear hatch weatherstrip fail