C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:28 PM
imlowr2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil catch can

I just purchased a can from fleebay. It didn't come with instructions. I plan on changing the hoses and using a different bracket to mount it. My question is, which fitting is the "in" for the hose coming from the PCV valve? There is nothing on the fitting itself. I know.. it's a cheap can, but I'm only trying to see if makes a difference. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes they make a difference.

If they did not bother to include instructions or the correct mounting brackets I'd suggest sending it back and buying one from one of the supporting vendors here on the forum. Their products work and they are available to consult if you have a question on the install.

Cheep is not a good thing when it comes to adding something to your engine. IMHO
Old 11-21-2015, 09:16 PM
c5z06.O
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Default My assumption

Stupid to assume. The line on the right side would go to the valve. If it starts smoking then change them fast. Just let the smoke clear from the exhaust.

I see you tried to get some help but had an awful response. Cheap route I never take. In this case you asked for help.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:40 PM
nickaz2003
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-
I just purchased one like this off of ebay.
I was wondering how it went with the install, results and if you were happy with it?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:40 PM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Can you take it apart and see which fitting has the filter? That one would hook to the valley and the other one to the intake.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Big_George_S

If they did not bother to include instructions or the correct mounting brackets I'd suggest sending it back and buying one from one of the supporting vendors here on the forum. Their products work and they are available to consult if you have a question on the install.

Cheep is not a good thing when it comes to adding something to your engine. IMHO
I looked at all the catch cans advertised when I went to buy one for my car and ended up going with an Elite Engineering one. Top quality, easy installation and instructions included for the install. And it works great.

There are others out there that work well too and come with the right hoses/brackets for the car.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 10-25-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

unscrew the drain and look in side. it is 100% an empty cylinder.

-works better than nothing surprisingly, but not by much.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder

Last edited by David@MMS; 10-31-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:01 PM
sgmz06
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I looked at all the catch cans advertised when I went to buy one for my car and ended up going with an Elite Engineering one. Top quality, easy installation and instructions included for the install. And it works great.

There are others out there that work well too and come with the right hoses/brackets for the car.
I bought the elite engineering catch can as well. - I believe they have instruction on their website. May be able to use those.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_George_S

X2

It's worth it to buy a quality catch can. I run a Mighty Mouse and would not own any others personally.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:42 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by David@MMS
unscrew the drain and look in side. it is 100% an empty cylinder.

-works better than nothing surprisingly, but not by much.
100% all it's going to do is look fancy, it's just an empty can with no real thought put into it... a real catch can will have a desiccant material that helps break the oil vapor down and it will fall to the bottom of the can... inside the can the inlet will also go nearly to the bottom that way the vapor has to travel back up to get through the outlet and since oil weighs more than air it will stay at the bottom and let the clean(er) air through the outlet at the top... having the inlet and outlet at the same level all the vapor has to do is make a quick turn rather than going all the way down and then back up, if that makes any sense
Old 11-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Bryan144
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Send it back and get the Elite Engineering cc. Definitely the best route and I have no complaints, easy installation instructions and their customer service is great too.

I hate that we have to say this so often now but.. You drive a Corvette.. Give it the treatment it deserves.. This isn't your 94' Fbody..

Get notified of new replies

To oil catch can

Quick Reply: oil catch can