Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

2016 Triple XXX All Corvette Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 02:50 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Default 2016 Triple XXX All Corvette Car Show

Flyers and Registration Sheet is now available here: http://www.corvettemarqueclub.com/Do...3552870000.pdf. updated 30 Jan 2016.

Time for a new trailer!

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrEShlV_YVQ[url]

Don't miss this summer's biggest blockbuster.

The All Corvette Show held at the Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-In each August has always been a huge show, most years getting over 120 cars to show up and show off. Some cars come from miles away and make a weekend of it.

We are looking to improve this show and are looking for ideas.

The Car Show committee is starting to look at the process for next year and would like to hear from those who participate. Specifically looking for ideas on how to judge the show. Here is your chance to make an input if you have an idea please share it.

In the past it has been a participation judged show, meaning if you had a car in the show you got to vote. Would you like to see this changed to a panel of judges? Do you know a better way? How about a panel of judges made up from other Northwest Clubs that would be willing to provide a judge?

What about awards, too many trophies, too few, what about the categories, are they appropriate?

Not looking to start a huge debate on this but if you have ideas please PM them to me and I'll get them to the right folks.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by AmmoVet; 08-10-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Time for a new trailer
Old 12-24-2015, 05:02 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

It seemed to me the 2015 show was mostly a Club voting thing, if you were not in the Club you most likely didn't have a chance except for something like Brad's exceptional C6RS...
Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

We hear this a lot over the years after each show. but I knew the last chairperson kept a good after action report and I just went back and checked. Again, not trying to debate the issue and I appreciate the input. But here were the results from last year.

Originally Posted by JETninja
It seemed to me the 2015 show was mostly a Club voting thing, if you were not in the Club you most likely didn't have a chance except for something like Brad's exceptional C6RS...
Old 12-24-2015, 09:39 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

BTW Ammo, that was me in the Red M3 behind you heading up to the Highlands, was taking my Mom and youngest Son to see the new Star Wars movie, loved the Antlers on your Vette. Ha Ha...
Old 12-25-2015, 12:42 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JETninja
BTW Ammo, that was me in the Red M3 behind you heading up to the Highlands, was taking my Mom and youngest Son to see the new Star Wars movie, loved the Antlers on your Vette. Ha Ha...
Hope the movie is as good as the hype. You should see Rudolph's nose, it is lit up and shows the way. One more day then back in the box.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2015, 12:48 AM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
The All Corvette Show held at the Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-In each August has always been a huge show, most years getting over 120 cars to show up and show off. Some cars come from miles away and make a weekend of it.

We are looking to improve this show and are looking for ideas.

The Car Show committee is starting to look at the process for next year and would like to hear from those who participate. Specifically looking for ideas on how to judge the show. Here is your chance to make an input if you have an idea please share it.

In the past it has been a participation judged show, meaning if you had a car in the show you got to vote. Would you like to see this changed to a panel of judges? Do you know a better way? How about a panel of judges made up from other Northwest Clubs that would be willing to provide a judge?

What about awards, too many trophies, too few, what about the categories, are they appropriate?

Not looking to start a huge debate on this but if you have ideas please PM them to me and I'll get them to the right folks.

Thanks

Mike
I was surprised on reply to "JETninja" about clubs, being I felt same way………..but the data says different!! Smart move gathering data!!
I brought my 2015 Stingray this year to the show and I would like to see the C7 Z06's, Stingrays and convertibles in separate categories like most other "C" categories. The Z06's walked off with all the wins. They we're beautiful cars…but they also had plus $30K more into them than the Stingrays. Big difference between the two models.
I also like the idea for judge panels that you suggested. We do a lot of shows and feel outcomes are better. Just my 2 cents for input.
I would also like to see some of the changes listed in show flier or advertisement. Thanks for asking for input to help improve show.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:48 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Just something to think about.....ask local/regional car clubs (Classic Chevy, Streetrods, Mustangs, etc) to do the judging. Someone who doesn't necessarily know Corvettes like we do wouldn't have a "dog in the fight" and could be impartial.

Our club uses the Sponsor Choice method and we hear criticism of that also, I don't think it's possible to find one method of judging that everyone accepts.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
We hear this a lot over the years after each show. but I knew the last chairperson kept a good after action report and I just went back and checked. Again, not trying to debate the issue and I appreciate the input. But here were the results from last year.

Sheesh. My last name is spelled wrong.

It's Cain. (2nd place C5 coupe winner)

If the judging stays participants choice, I believe that there were too many categories. Separating the C4s and C3s into two separate categories each was too much-I've always thought that actually. There were too few C4s and C3s to have it separated. You can even see on your results sheet, there was no 2nd place C4 in the 84-90 category.

I think judges would be a good idea too if done right.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

unfortunately, any time the voting is left up to those who are enrolled in the show itself.. it boils down to who knows the most people showing their cars. as unbiased as we like to think we all are, that's how it plays out. we like to see our friends succeed, it's natural. I've seen it happen time and time again, and I've even (unfortunately, and not deliberately) won a trophy from it. I am not really proud of that trophy, I don't feel like I genuinely earned it.

when I go to shows I don't really care if I win. my car's a daily driver and will never be as pristine as a real show car. I still think having a judges panel is ultimately more fair. I enjoy the social aspect of interacting with judges and seeing their take on your car, what they would have done differently, what they'd aim to improve next or what they would maybe revise/do differently etc. as a younger owner with an import car influence/background, my style typically clashes a bit with the more traditional vette owners, so it makes for some interesting conversation.

there is no perfect way to do it, and having a good judges panel requires some dedication and expertise. if you make the change, I wouldn't expert the first time around to go perfectly smooth either. it'll take some trial and error.

Last edited by Entaille; 12-26-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Entaille
unfortunately, any time the voting is left up to those who are enrolled in the show itself.. it boils down to who knows the most people showing their cars. as unbiased as we like to think we all are, that's how it plays out. we like to see our friends succeed, it's natural. I've seen it happen time and time again, and I've even (unfortunately, and not deliberately) won a trophy from it. I am not really proud of that trophy, I don't feel like I genuinely earned it.

when I go to shows I don't really care if I win. my car's a daily driver and will never be as pristine as a real show car. I still think having a judges panel is ultimately more fair. I enjoy the social aspect of interacting with judges and seeing their take on your car, what they would have done differently, what they'd aim to improve next or what they would maybe revise/do differently etc. as a younger owner with an import car influence/background, my style typically clashes a bit with the more traditional vette owners, so it makes for some interesting conversation.

there is no perfect way to do it, and having a good judges panel requires some dedication and expertise. if you make the change, I wouldn't expert the first time around to go perfectly smooth either. it'll take some trial and error.
While I agree with some of what you said, I, personally don't know people at the shows. I make a real effort when it comes to judging the cars as well.

For instance. I purposely did NOT vote for the Callaway C7 Z06 at last years show. It was a nice car, but anybody with the means can spend $120K+ and drive it to a show. I always vote for the cars that look like effort was put into them.

I don't really think there is a perfect solution. But I'm glad to see an effort is being made.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:13 AM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What's your point?

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
While I agree with some of what you said, I, personally don't know people at the shows. I make a real effort when it comes to judging the cars as well.

For instance. I purposely did NOT vote for the Callaway C7 Z06 at last years show. It was a nice car, but anybody with the means can spend $120K+ and drive it to a show. I always vote for the cars that look like effort was put into them.

I don't really think there is a perfect solution. But I'm glad to see an effort is being made.
Thanks for your support.. Not!

Don't spend to much time showing my cars, but since I just finished preparing my new Z06 for track duty 2 days earlier, thought I would take it to the show and see what it would do in front of a "vette" crowd.
I felt the same as many that your buddies normally picked the winners, and you had to be over the top to get a "win" in a Large group.
Hmmm...
Or what I like, is NOT what the Show crowd likes... I' m into making my vettes lighter, and faster around the track... Not so much flash underhood and passenger compartment, unless it's for going faster.

Did I prove my point... Don't think I would win this coming year now!

And yes... I have showed my clean, highly modded 2006 C6Z06 many times with Zero results. I think it's a winner

Good results, that day... My Callaway!

Dale

Last edited by NWbluez06; 12-27-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NWbluez06

Don't spend to much time showing my cars, but since I just finished preparing my new Z06 for track duty 2 days earlier, thought I would take it to the show and see what it would do in front of a "vette" crowd.
I felt the same as many that your buddies normally picked the winners, and you had to be over the top to get a "win" in a Large group.
Hmmm...
Or what I like, is NOT what the Show crowd likes... I' m into making my vettes lighter, and faster around the track... Not so much flash underhood and passenger compartment, unless it's for going faster.

And yes... I have showed my clean, highly modded 2006 C6Z06 many times with Zero results. I think it's a winner

Dale
I didn't mean anything by what I said.
Your car was a great looking car.

In people's choice voting we all have to choose how we vote. Some may look for the perfect stock car. Some may look for a highly modified car and ignore the stock cars. And everybody has a different opinion. That's what makes it fun.

Heck I go to the XXX show mainly for the food.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:29 AM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I just go to look at cars now and chat with car folks.. the show is just a means for the gathering now.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:56 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

I've been a concours organizer and judge for many events for several clubs. I only mention that because trying to figure out the judges, judging rules, classes etc can be a real can of worms. They differ from club to club, but the one thing they seems to have in common, especially for the single marque groups is too often there are arguments over matters like authenticity, originality, and stuffing the ballot box. Too many people go away disappointed or even mad. I'm sure the annual CMCS/XXX show is no exception. The message is to keep it simple and, for the most part I think CMCS has done a terrific job at it. I'm not so sure the current format is all that bad.

What I might suggest, just for consideration might be a change to the classes. Instead, say, of grouping by series (C1, C2,C3...) why not break up the classes by year. For example, maybe something like.

'53 thru '58; '59 thru '64; '65 thru '72; '73 thru '79; '80 thru '88; '89 thru '96; '97 thru '05; and so on.

Not suggesting these model years are the best mix, but at least it allows different cars to compete in different classes. It mixes early Corvettes with second generation cars and so on. I do not know what the current judging rules suggest and how the participants judge other people's cars, but my inclination is that they judge largely on appearance, added features and modifications. Some might even give a nod to authenticity and originality. Some judges might deduct points at least emotionally - for scratches, dirt and simply because they don't think it's as nice as their own.

BTW, how about we not allow participants to judge their own cars? Or class?

Maybe some additional awards for furthest distance driven; highest mileage; Judges favorite. and whatever other special awards might seem appropriate. Mix it up so a few people get awards for something. Eliminate the second place awards.

Please understand, Mike, that thse are just rough ideas, but I do think the current format of allowing entrants to judge other's cars is fine. Don;t complicate it by asking people who may not want to drive to Issaquah just to judge other people's cars. specially if they don't own Corvettes.

Just for fun - and I'm chewing my way out of the proverbial box now - maybe have a group of Veterans judge a "Vet's favorite Vette" trophy?
Maybe invite a class of art students, for example, give out a "fine art in Corvette trophy"? Just some ideas?

Whatever you do, please don't turn the event into a cleaning contest or based solely on authenticity. (although perhaps some sort of "survivor or non-restored" trophy might be well received)

I think you guys are already on the right track. IMHO you don't need to change much. And remember, this isn;t supposed to be Bloomington Gold at the XXX.

Above all, make sure you keep this fun - or make it even funner...

Last edited by last901; 12-28-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Hmmm...

Dale
A bit off topic, but do you track the Callaway C7Z locally (like Pacific Raceways) or somewhere else? I wanna see the car in action sometime.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:25 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm...

Dale
Dale, Your point is well taken, if I may so so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing your Corvette to these shows. It's been my experience that these events, especially the annual SCMS meet at the XXX are as much a social event as a contest. Bringing your Z06 is entirely appropriate and for some of the reasons you've brought out. I'm sure there are a lot of people who turn out just to see cars like yours and to discuss the modifications, etc. It is not a cleaning contest nor a contest of originality or maintaining a car as it came off the assembly line. I think what you say is exactly the sort of thing that Mike and CMCS (is that the right acronym) are looking to improve. I hope you don't feel as though your ZO6 was worthy of a trophy and you didn't get one. Most entries don't.

Please don't deprive those in the group who track their cars to see the mods you've made and to ask questions and share experiences. Does this make sense? Would you suggest the club include a class for track cars and, if so, what would you suggest for judging criteria?

Good input, I'd say.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:43 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by four0nefive
A bit off topic, but do you track the Callaway C7Z locally (like Pacific Raceways) or somewhere else? I wanna see the car in action sometime.

Thanks in advance!
Is this a subtle way of suggesting you'd like a ride-along?

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Triple XXX All Corvette Car Show

Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by last901
Is this a subtle way of suggesting you'd like a ride-along?
Well my actual intent was to get some cool pictures (since I've gotten good at photography), but I wouldn't mind a ride in a 750 HP C7 Z06!

Last edited by four0nefive; 12-28-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:44 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Well my actual intent was to get some cool pictures (since I've gotten good at photography), but I wouldn't mind a ride in a 750 HP C7 Z06!
Well, somehow, some way, I have a feeling you're going to get your ride this year. BTW, keep posting some of your photos.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:27 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by last901
Well, somehow, some way, I have a feeling you're going to get your ride this year. BTW, keep posting some of your photos.
For sure. I'm going to try to go to as many car events as I can coming up in 2016, so you'll definitely see lots of pictures soon!

Quick Reply: 2016 Triple XXX All Corvette Car Show