C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bleeding My Cooling System on my 1965

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bleeding My Cooling System on my 1965

I just had a new fuel pump installed on my 1965. Car seems to run a lot better however I noticed when I stopped in my garage after driving the other day, a lot of coolant had leaked out of the burp tank. I called the shop and the mechanic said its just that he filled the burp tank too high. He said it will work itself out. I have driven the car a few times since and every time without fail it leaks out the coolant after I park the car. I looked in the burp tank and it's a little higher than half way filled. I'm not sure how to correct his but wondering if bleeding the coolant system for air might help. Any thoughts on this? The cars temp gauge isn't running higher than 180 while driving.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

No need to worry, if everything is good it will find its own level, about half full.

Paul
Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

It says on the side of tank where to fill it to. I think its fill half way when cold.

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 02-12-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Did the mechanic "only add" coolant and not open up the system? If so, it's true he over filled it. Check the level when cold as marked on the side of the tank. It should be only half full. Get a cheap turkey baster and draw out what's necessary. Or let it puke. Dennis
Old 02-12-2016, 11:20 PM
bondguy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Did the mechanic "only add" coolant and not open up the system? If so, it's true he over filled it. Check the level when cold as marked on the side of the tank. It should be only half full. Get a cheap turkey baster and draw out what's necessary. Or let it puke. Dennis
Good call. I just ran to Publix and picked up a turkey baster. Level was still way high but got sick of seeing green puke coming out of my car the last 3 or 4 times I drove it. I sucked out enough to where it's just a hair below the half way mark when cold. Hopefully, it stops puking out. Going to drive it tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2016, 03:43 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

OK I'll give this a try. The coolant boils after shutdown because the water pump and radiator fan stop. Had a GTO that liked to mark its territory like that. If your watching rad coolant level and its not taking more water then no reason for sys to burp anymore.
2 items u can try to fix that would be a higher press rad cap and a cooler T-stat. Also u can have press test done on sys.

Hope this help ya.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is nothing here that needs fixed, zero, nada, bupkis.

Well there is ONE thing - you prob could have got the turkey baster cheaper at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding My Cooling System on my 1965

Quick Reply: Bleeding My Cooling System on my 1965