C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension noises

Old 03-11-2016, 11:39 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Suspension noises

I have an old 2000 C5 with about 110,000m on it. The suspension has gradually made more and more clanky clackety racket when driving over bumpy roads. What exactly is causing all this noise and what do I have to replace to cure it? I searched but couldn't find any previous threads. I'm starting to accumulate a lot of little issues with the car and this is just one I'd like to start with. Thanks so much.
Rob
Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would start with the EXHAUST SYSTEM. It hangs on some SPRINGS and they have been well known to get worn and loose and make all sorts of noise.

Get the car up on stands, ramps or on a lift and see if the exhaust hangers for the mid pipe and the rubber isolators for the mufflers are properly supporting the exhaust system.

If you shake the exhaust system and it makes noises, theres something wrong with it.

Bill
Old 03-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
After the exhaust I would check out the swaybar links. Early year cars had plastic links and they are well known for failure causing noise as well as lots more body roll when you are in corners. You might also check out the condition of the sway bar bushings. They are rubber and do deteriorate over time....
Excellent recommendations. All can be done when you have the car off the ground. PLEASE let us know what you find..

Bill
Old 03-12-2016, 09:07 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Excellent recommendations. All can be done when you have the car off the ground. PLEASE let us know what you find..

Bill
Thanks guys. I will investigate some time this week. I have a feeling it's more than the exhaust. I'll take a look at those sway bar parts too. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Hello again guys. Alright so I have investigated a lot of things for the past two months. First, my exhaust is solid and tight. Kicked it, pushed it, wiggled it and can't get a squeak out of it. Then on another day I jacked up the rear and took off the wheels. Inspected and wiggled every joint I could find. Then I tightened every bolt in sight. Another test drive and it's still there. After thinking about it, I thought maybe the shocks themselves had a problem. So I jacked it up again and removed the shocks completely. Another (wild) test drive and it still made clunking/knocking noises on the local rough road. Then I put the shocks back. Another day, after reading up on the subject some more, I jacked it up again and just for the hell of it, I removed the swayer end links. Another test drive and guess what? The noise is still there! I'm at a loss for any other ideas. Maybe the chassis is not bolted to the frame? Hell, I don't know. I've had this car since it was new. No accidents to speak of. I put new wheel bearings on it last year. The A-arm bushings look fine. (I don't want to take those off for a test drive. :-D) HELP!! HELP!! I'm drowning in frustration.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 284 Posts

Follow
Old 06-07-2016, 11:19 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Ok. For those who give a crap, I have finally found the problem! It was indeed the swayer links. Myself and everybody who heard it, thought it was coming from the rear. When I removed the rear links, it was still there. Just for the hell of it, I removed the front links and the car was as quiet as new. Thanks for those who helped. Easy fix in the end. Just a bitch to figure out why I was being deceived by where it was coming from. Live and learn.
Thanks again
Rob
Old 06-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Get the aluminum 1's
Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Ok. For those who give a crap, I have finally found the problem! It was indeed the swayer links. Myself and everybody who heard it, thought it was coming from the rear. When I removed the rear links, it was still there. Just for the hell of it, I removed the front links and the car was as quiet as new. Thanks for those who helped. Easy fix in the end. Just a bitch to figure out why I was being deceived by where it was coming from. Live and learn.
Thanks again
Rob
thanks for posting what you found and how you fixed it..we may not give a crap now but,when our cars starts rattling we will give a crap and thank you eliminating one of the likely causes
The following users liked this post:
robvuk (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

With the addition of the end links and some new tires, the car is once again a sheer pleasure to drive.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:03 AM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob,

I am trying to chase down a suspension clunk as well. I hear the noise going over low speed bumps/bumpy road.

When you say that you removed the endlinks, to test. Did you just unhook/remove the end links from the car entirely and go for a drive?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

If you disconnect them you should be able to feel any wear or play. With them installed it may be hard to tell because of the tension.

A clunk can be other things (ball joints, wheel hubs, loose bolts etc..). You need to get it up and inspect it.

I know, wrong Rob. lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension noises

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension noises