Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] AHP heads/BTR Stage 2=550whp/510wtq

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Default AHP heads/BTR Stage 2=550whp/510wtq

Got my car put back together about two weeks ago and just got tuned yesterday. Still have a little bit on the tune to clean up after I drive the car for a week or two and let the tuner know if its doing anything wonky(got a little surge in 1st gear between 1000 and 2000rpm). Im not up to speed on the tuning stuff.

I was hoping for ~550whp and 500wtq and everybody was saying "you cant get that out of that little cam". Well I proved them wrong. Car made 550whp and 510wtq. After this pull he backed out 1 degree of timing because it only made 2hp and tq and said less timing is safer and im really not losing anything. So I guess final numbers were like 548 and 508, but we didnt do another pull.

The car ran out of air above ~6000rpm or so due to me running the stock intake manifold and throttle body with a bunch of other components that were able to flow a TON of air. So I am probably going to an MSD/NW102 combo. I was also up at ~92% IDC so also doing injectors(looking at Fuel Injector Connection 60lb injectors). Tuner thinks 20-30 whp and tq are still there with a manifold/throttle body/injectors.

Build was as follows:
AHP package 4 heads plus P&P, milled .030
BTR Stage 2 cam package(platinum springs, titanium retainers, 7.750 push rods)
CHE trunnion bushings
Halltech 108 intake
Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers
C5R timing chain
ARP head and cam bolts
stock axle back exhaust, intake manifold, throttle body

Still getting used to the car, but its a monster. Did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the highway yesterday and 70-100 comes in an instant, violently.

I did 100% of the work except for AHP doing the heads of course and their heads are works of art. Ill up-load some pictures of their port work in a bit. Kohle was great to work with and his prediction of "torque going straight to 450 or so" came true. The guys at the shop that did the tuning were very impressed with the torque curve.

I dont know what kind of dyno this is, smoothing, etc... AFR's were steady during the pull at 11.9-12.1.

ETA: this picture is sideways for me, but photobucket supposedly flipped it. So sorry if its sideways.

Last edited by rjacobs; 04-12-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Nice results. Get yourself an MSD and NWTB from Tony Mamo, and I bet you will see close to that 30hp increase.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Nice results. Get yourself an MSD and NWTB from Tony Mamo, and I bet you will see close to that 30hp increase.
I discussed it with him via PM last night, but I dont think I can swing the extra $$$$ right now to go with his ported version with all the extra work over an "out of the box" one, even though I would love to. I might be able to, at a later date, pull the manifold and send it to him, but right now I just dont think I can swing the money after all the $$$$ that I spent on this build.

I still have to think about a clutch too at some point(leaning towards Mantic twin disk), although the tuner said the clutch felt really good and he didnt notice any slip during any of the pulls.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Got my car put back together about two weeks ago and just got tuned yesterday. Still have a little bit on the tune to clean up after I drive the car for a week or two and let the tuner know if its doing anything wonky(got a little surge in 1st gear between 1000 and 2000rpm). Im not up to speed on the tuning stuff.

I was hoping for ~550whp and 500wtq and everybody was saying "you cant get that out of that little cam". Well I proved them wrong. Car made 550whp and 510wtq. After this pull he backed out 1 degree of timing because it only made 2hp and tq and said less timing is safer and im really not losing anything. So I guess final numbers were like 548 and 508, but we didnt do another pull.

The car ran out of air above ~6000rpm or so due to me running the stock intake manifold and throttle body with a bunch of other components that were able to flow a TON of air. So I am probably going to an MSD/NW102 combo. I was also up at ~92% IDC so also doing injectors(looking at Fuel Injector Connection 60lb injectors). Tuner thinks 20-30 whp and tq are still there with a manifold/throttle body/injectors.

Build was as follows:
AHP package 4 heads plus P&P, milled .030
BTR Stage 2 cam package(platinum springs, titanium retainers, 7.750 push rods)
CHE trunnion bushings
Halltech 108 intake
Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers
C5R timing chain
ARP head and cam bolts
stock axle back exhaust, intake manifold, throttle body

Still getting used to the car, but its a monster. Did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the highway yesterday and 70-100 comes in an instant, violently.

I did 100% of the work except for AHP doing the heads of course and their heads are works of art. Ill up-load some pictures of their port work in a bit. Kohle was great to work with and his prediction of "torque going straight to 450 or so" came true. The guys at the shop that did the tuning were very impressed with the torque curve.

I dont know what kind of dyno this is, smoothing, etc... AFR's were steady during the pull at 11.9-12.1.

ETA: this picture is sideways for me, but photobucket supposedly flipped it. So sorry if its sideways.
Cool deal

My homie James kept me informed as he tweaked. Good thing I handled a few things at warehouse and at the other shop before coming over...that crazy storm yesterday afternoon caught me by surprise.

Anyhow, the dyno is a dynojet. You will certainly pick up more with intake and injectors. As we discussed, drive for a while, get used to it and bring it back if you like more adjustments, or wait until you get the other pieces.

BTW, don't listen to many guys in here, lot's of them will tell you this and that simply because it is not them...you clearly proved them wrong.

Enjoy your ride and please be safe.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 04-12-2016, 04:36 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Cool deal

My homie James kept me informed as he tweaked. Good thing I handled a few things at warehouse and at the other shop before coming over...that crazy storm yesterday afternoon caught me by surprise.

Anyhow, the dyno is a dynojet. You will certainly pick up more with intake and injectors. As we discussed, drive for a while, get used to it and bring it back if you like more adjustments, or wait until you get the other pieces.

BTW, don't listen to many guys in here, lot's of them will tell you this and that simply because it is not them...you clearly proved them wrong.

Thanks,
Carlos
Im going to get the other stuff ordered here in the next few days, just waiting for my tax refund to come in. I was going to email you to ask about injectors(and I will here shortly). Ill wait to come back until I get everything else put on. No sense in wasting your time or a drive up there when I think the tune is 98% of the way there as is. Just the little bit of surging down low and I honestly dont think I drove it on the street at low speeds in 1st gear to test that out with James, and I should have knowing it could have been an issue. It cruises down the highway in 6th at that same RPM buttery smooth.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:15 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 PM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for posting. I have been eyeing that cam for a while hoping someone would post a dyno. It has great torque like Katech Torquer but doesn't fall off as fast up high. I think it would be great shifted at ~6800, even better with FAST or MSD intake. If drivability is good, I'm in!
The following users liked this post:
Javvy (04-18-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Great Numbers!!!
The toque curve is awesome. Seems like a perfect street car setup.

Thank you again for your Business.

Anyone else needing Proper LS7 Cylinder Heads feel free to contact us:
310-326-2399
or
HP@americanheritageperformance.com

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by American Heritage:
jetpowr (04-14-2016), rjacobs (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by XLR8-R
Thanks for posting. I have been eyeing that cam for a while hoping someone would post a dyno. It has great torque like Katech Torquer but doesn't fall off as fast up high. I think it would be great shifted at ~6800, even better with FAST or MSD intake. If drivability is good, I'm in!
You are ~3 hours away. Come on up some time and drive it. Im pretty far south of dallas so not a bad drive up 35E.

Like I said the ONLY thing that I can tell right now, and Carlos says can be cleaned up easily, is slight surging in 1st gear below 2k aka parking lot speeds. We did NOT drive the car during the street tune in this condition and should have, but not a huge deal. It rolls 75mph in 6th with no surging.

Im thinking ill have the MSD/NW102 and injectors on it in a couple weeks and will get back on the dyno and get everything cleaned up.

If I didnt have the P&P heads that flow so much Im not sure the MSD/NW102 would be needed because the stock manifold/throttle body really didnt seem to cause a restriction until north of 6k RPM, but I WOULD do at least a ported stock manifold and throttle body which you can get done from Peak Speed or Carlos at Vette Air for a pretty reasonable price.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:34 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Great Numbers!!!
The toque curve is awesome. Seems like a perfect street car setup.

Thank you again for your Business.
Yea lets just say the car can get out of its own way now!!!

You are very welcome, thanks for taking great care of my art work... I mean heads.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Mrfitter
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have almost the same combo but didn't have it dyno tuned just street tuned. I also have the Mamo ported msd and nw102. It's only been two weeks for me also and this cam drives great. I have slight surge at 1000rpm in 6th . The car flat out gets it now need to put it on a dyno though . Thanks for the injector info . I've been thinking about getting hp tuners and learning the tune process. Congrats on your car . Keep it between the lines
The following users liked this post:
rjacobs (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 07:36 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Tuning is something ill leave up to the pro's. I will turn wrenches on any part of any car I own, but the computer stuff is beyond me.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Good looking heads, just like the ones I got from Kohle a few months back and are now installed and working on my Z.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
You are ~3 hours away. Come on up some time and drive it. Im pretty far south of dallas so not a bad drive up 35E.

Like I said the ONLY thing that I can tell right now, and Carlos says can be cleaned up easily, is slight surging in 1st gear below 2k aka parking lot speeds. We did NOT drive the car during the street tune in this condition and should have, but not a huge deal. It rolls 75mph in 6th with no surging.

Im thinking ill have the MSD/NW102 and injectors on it in a couple weeks and will get back on the dyno and get everything cleaned up.

If I didnt have the P&P heads that flow so much Im not sure the MSD/NW102 would be needed because the stock manifold/throttle body really didnt seem to cause a restriction until north of 6k RPM, but I WOULD do at least a ported stock manifold and throttle body which you can get done from Peak Speed or Carlos at Vette Air for a pretty reasonable price.
Kohle did my heads too, only difference is I did the PSI springs which should work fine with that cam. I will let you know if I am coming that way ahead of time, thanks for the offer! I am anxious to see what it dynos at with the new intake. Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:44 AM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Cool deal

Thanks,
Carlos
Nice looking torque curve, gotta love that curve on these smaller cams. I too considered that cam last year but ended up going with Carlos' Street Bully cam. It's smaller than this btr stg 2 but has a very similar curve. Congratulations on the results and great job tuning it Carlos .

-jp
Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Just goes to show you that different vendors together can produce great results.

BTR and I go way back, and AH heads seems to make great power as well.

And...no matter what you do, tuning is everything.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 04-18-2016, 05:43 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Just goes to show you that different vendors together can produce great results.

BTR and I go way back, and AH heads seems to make great power as well.

And...no matter what you do, tuning is everything.

Thanks,
Carlos

We 100% agree on all above!

Nothing better for a customer than to have multiple experts working together to produce a desired result. A true Win Win!

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 04-19-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: nw102 part was put in the wrong thread

Get notified of new replies

To AHP heads/BTR Stage 2=550whp/510wtq

Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by American Heritage

Im curiousness to see the difference with the above listed combo on the same dyno with and without a NW102 TB's. It would be nice to see if the $600 or so is worth it.
Im doing a ported FAST LSXr 102, NW102 and injectors so not really what you are looking for. Due to where I live and where my tuner is I am basically going to be driving the car up and swapping on a completely built manifold in the parking lot.

I dont think JUST adding a NW102 would do anything, or at least not much as the snout of the factory manifold is only what, slightly more than 90mm? I've never measured one.

I will for sure report back with the new numbers with, hopefully, an overlay from these numbers. If what my tuner says he thinks 20-30 whp/wtq peak is in it with across the board gains everywhere. If that comes true, with a small, easy to drive cam, ill be very happy.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey OP. Now that you've had some time on the BTR Stage 2, are you still really happy with it?

I am doing WCCH fixed heads and BTR stage 2 while in there, although leaving more of the other components stock. Just Corsa CF intake and M2W switch. I am hoping to have a car that is super friendly for legal highway cruising between 65 & 80 mph on road trips. Any issues at all?

Any chance you've got any videos?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:13 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cseaman
Hey OP. Now that you've had some time on the BTR Stage 2, are you still really happy with it?

I am doing WCCH fixed heads and BTR stage 2 while in there, although leaving more of the other components stock. Just Corsa CF intake and M2W switch. I am hoping to have a car that is super friendly for legal highway cruising between 65 & 80 mph on road trips. Any issues at all?

Any chance you've got any videos?
No videos, sorry.

Ive been super happy with the car. Drove it all summer and in September dropped it off to have the FAST/NW102/FIC 60lb injectors installed and re-tuned. Car drives even better(original tune wasnt that great), no surge except down around 1200rpm, which is hard to tune out. Hasnt been on the dyno yet as we are still playing with the tune a bit and have a bit more to do(the big throttle body is touchy to changes), but ive been out of town with work for a few months. Car was definitely faster post re-tune and new parts and tuner says you need to pick up ~30whp in order to feel it. So im guessing 580-590 at the wheels and the FAST manifold "in theory" should have shifted the TQ curve left a bit which I was after.

Pre-new parts and re-tune I drove the car from Dallas to St. Louis and back on vacation(~1800 miles give or take) and had zero issues. Car got around 23-24mpg. Needed 5th gear climbing any appreciable hills, but beyond that, cruised in 6th at 80+ no problem.

If I went to a different cam I would probably send flow numbers and other numbers to Brian Tooley or somebody else and get a custom cam matched to my heads and motor to try to coax a little more power out of it, but I would spec something similar to the BTR stage 2, just matched a little better to the characteristics of the heads. If you arent milling or p&p your heads, the BTR stage 2 will work well with your factory heads as I believe thats what the cam is spec'd to.

Last edited by rjacobs; 12-06-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] AHP heads/BTR Stage 2=550whp/510wtq