Museum Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Navyproud
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Museum Delivery

Hello

I am planning to place an order for a 2017 Corvette. I am considering picking the Corvette up at the Corvette Museum. I want to know if this option is worth the price? I can either pick it up from the dealer for half the price or have it shipped to a local dealer for approx. $350.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I haven't done it but it is on my bucket list. Have several friends that have done the museum delivery and were thrilled with it...that's good enough to convince me.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

In my opinion, I would go for the Buyer's Tour and the Photo Album. Spending a couple of days in the factory, with a personal guide, and watching your car being built is much more memorable.

For Museum Delivery, you pay both the Destination Charge ($995, I think) and the Museum Deliver fee.

For both my Corvettes, I did the Buyer's Tour and had them shipped back to MacMulkin for delivery.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 PM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

After reading about it on this forum and reading all of the info on the museum web site I'll be doing a museum delivery next spring.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Mike1C7
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I am also planing for a July order for a new Corvette and will definitely go for the museum delivery. Everything I have read has been positive. Heard from my neighbor who loved it as well. I did think it was strange that he flew in for the museum delivery but had his car shipped to Texas. Sorry but no way am I going to leave my car after that! My wife and our new Corvette are all going home together.

Once home we are going to plan a trip to Niagara Falls from Houston, TX!
It's my understanding that these cars like to travel so that is what we intend to do with ours.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:46 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

You walk into the Museum and there is your car........PRICELESS

The following users liked this post:
blue max (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
In my opinion, I would go for the Buyer's Tour and the Photo Album. Spending a couple of days in the factory, with a personal guide, and watching your car being built is much more memorable.
I have done two R8C's. They were great experiences. However, I felt I had a better ROI on the Buyer's Tour and Photo Album. I will still do R8C & Buyer's Tour and Photo Album when I get a C8!
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I've done it 4 times. Doing it again in September. Each time I took a different route home to CA - each one a fun adventure!

Entrance to the Assembly Plant
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Without a doubt, the Museum Delivery was one of the highlights of my 2016 Corvette purchase. The VIP tour was very informative and rewarding. To have the assembly workers come over and shake your hand for buying the car and to watch how much care they take in making it is something to behold...I know alot of you say "It's just a Chevy" but for some of us....It is "AMERICA'S SPORTS CAR" And I fell in love with it in the 1950's....And, was fortunate to be able to purchase new a C2, C3, C5, C6 and this C7
There are hall's of fame for almost everything now. To purchase this Car and be able to go to IT'S hall of fame and to really appreciate what this car was and is all about was a very emotional experience for me. Not to mention to be able to share it with the woman I love. Oh and to take your car and open it up on the NCM Track...well, that's a whole other story.

Last edited by obxchartercaptain; 06-07-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Navyproud
Racer

WOW, after reading your responses I will find the extra cash and make it happen. Both my wife and son say it's about the total experience and they are correct. Thank you very much for responding and helping me decide.

QUOTE=obxchartercaptain;1592370277]Without a doubt, the Museum Delivery was one of the highlights of my 2016 Corvette purchase. The VIP tour was very informative and rewarding. To have the assembly workers come over and shake your hand for buying the car and to watch how much care they take in making it is something to behold...I know alot of you say "It's just a Chevy" but for some of us....It is "AMERICA'S SPORTS CAR" And I fell in love with it in the 1950's....And, was fortunate to be able to purchase new a C2, C3, C5, C6 and this C7
There are hall's of fame for almost everything now. To purchase this Car and be able to go to IT'S hall of fame and to really appreciate what this car was and is all about was a very emotional experience for me. Not to mention to be able to share it with the woman I love. Oh and to take your car and open it up on the NCM Track...well, that's a whole other story.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy

For Museum Delivery, you pay both the Destination Charge ($995, I think) and the Museum Deliver fee.
Ridiculous! They drive the car next door, there should only be one fee and it should be a lot less than $995.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Navyproud
Racer

I agree, but I was told that's the way the museum makes money to remain open. Apparently the museum does not get support from GM. I can't understand how the dealership gets destination charge when they do nothing but order the vehicle. It's a battle you can't win so no need to get mad over it.

QUOTE=Doc750;1592370337]Ridiculous! They drive the car next door, there should only be one fee and it should be a lot less than $995.[/QUOTE]
The following 2 users liked this post by Navyproud:
DAC17 (06-09-2016), MMorley (07-28-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 AM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Several members of the Jersey Corvette Club have done the NCM delivery several times and love it. Get a copy of the February 2015 issue of the NCM magazine and read the article of 5 of our members picking up their Vettes at the same time.....

Definitely worth the cost....go for it !
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

can you do both, buyers tour and museum delivery? I assume that's probably two trips at different times or are they close together that you'd just stay there?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:12 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyproud
I agree, but I was told that's the way the museum makes money to remain open. Apparently the museum does not get support from GM. I can't understand how the dealership gets destination charge when they do nothing but order the vehicle. It's a battle you can't win so no need to get mad over it.

QUOTE=Doc750;1592370337]Ridiculous! They drive the car next door, there should only be one fee and it should be a lot less than $995.
[/QUOTE]

The dealerships don't get the destination charge money, the truckers/shippers do. BTW - the museum doesn't get all of that $995. GM and the selling dealership probably get over half that amount for themselves. Based on what my museum host told me ten years ago, GM gives the museum a shockingly low % amount of the MSRP price as their share of the museum delivery option.
MMorley (07-28-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72

The dealerships don't get the destination charge money, the truckers/shippers do. BTW - the museum doesn't get all of that $995. GM and the selling dealership probably get over half that amount for themselves. Based on what my museum host told me ten years ago, GM gives the museum a shockingly low % amount of the MSRP price as their share of the museum delivery option.
That's my point. I'd rather have the NCM guys pick up the car at the factory and keep all the money for the museum. Why add a shipping fee to a vehicle not being shipped? It's basically just way for GM to pad an additional $1k on to the bill.

I'n any case, not looking to start an argument over it. I just think it's a ****** way for GM to treat their customers. I hope to do a museum delivery on my next vette, and I guess it's just the cost of doing business.

Last edited by Doc750; 06-07-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Personally, I think it was well worth the extra fee. For me it was a once in a life time experience, I wouldn't trade it for the world. You get a VIP tour of the assembly plant where the guide knows most of the workers and you can talk to them as they work, VIP tour of the Museum, your name or what ever you wish on the plaque in the dash, your name in lights above the entry door to the factory, you name in lights inside the Museum, Museum membership for a year with discounts on merchandise, your car signed underneath by the PDI crew, pictures of your car on Corvette Boulevard inside the Museum, and if you got the PDR you get a movie of your car driving out of the Museum with applause from all who are present in the Museum. You can save the sign for your car and have it laminated, as well as have the window sticker laminated and buy and laminate your build sheet. Well worth it IMHO.

My car on Corvette Boulevard

The entry door to the factory

car signed underneath by the PDI crew. Notice the date.... what a Christmas present I got!
MMorley (07-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery

Old 06-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

[QUOTE=Doc750;1592370517]That's my point. I'd rather have the NCM guys pick up the car at the factory and keep all the money for the museum. Why add a shipping fee to a vehicle not being shipped? It's basically just way for GM to pad an additional $1k on to the bill.
QUOTE]
The car IS shipped... a trucker loads it at the factory and unloads it at the museum so you have to pay for that. Sure, its just across the street but it is shipped. Thank your local Teamsters Union for leveraging that expense.

Also, its worth something to have the Museum guys do the PDI rather than your dealer doing it. They take much better care of your car than most dealers and WILL NOT add any stickers or name plates without your approval, including the Museum Delivery sticker they place in the door jam.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:06 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Wasn't something that appealed to me. My wife is not into cars so I would have had to fly up alone or took a friend and the hassle of flights/motel just wasn't something I wanted to do but if my wife had been into vettes like me I would have prob. done it. I am sure it is an awesome experience.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc750
That's my point. I'd rather have the NCM guys pick up the car at the factory and keep all the money for the museum. Why add a shipping fee to a vehicle not being shipped? It's basically just way for GM to pad an additional $1k on to the bill.

I'n any case, not looking to start an argument over it. I just think it's a ****** way for GM to treat their customers. I hope to do a museum delivery on my next vette, and I guess it's just the cost of doing business.
You have to pay this fee for the same reason most of our industry has moved overseas. The Unions!! The truckers union require that this is paid no matter where it is delivered

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery