Sponsored by:

Wierd grinding 4th and 5th at high rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Wierd grinding 4th and 5th at high rpm's

I searched the forums for my problem and can't find mention of a like situation...

I've got an MGW shifter, Tick clutch master cylinder, McLeod RST twin disc, LWT flywheel and OEM transmission. During normal driving and shifting through any gear up or down, there are no problems at all, but at high RPM's, say, above 5000, when I begin to push the clutch pedal in, there's a slight brrrrrp sound, almost like I'm grinding gears. It happens within the first 2" of pedal movement, and sounds like it's coming from the footwell. It sure seems like the noise occurs before I row the shifter. The pedal has an extremely slight vibration when it's making that noise. I drive barefoot; I don't think I'd feel the vibration with shoes on--that's how slight it feels. The shifter, the clutch, and the transmission all behave as normal; no sounds, vibration, or anything unusual during this 'brrrrrp'.

One time, I was shifting between 5000-5300 rpm and I heard a funny high-pitched spinning sound from the clutch after I got into the next gear. I didn't miss the shift, but it sounded like something was just let loose to free spin, like "whiiirEEEEE", as if whatever it was, while building rev's under restraint it was let loose. That was 500 miles ago; there hasn't been anything out of the ordinary with about 30 subsequent 5000 rpm shifts. The clutch fluid is clean. The pedal vibration as I depress it and the accompanying noise started immediately during the last outing. No indications of any troubles before that. Nothing on the DIC, the car seems well-mannered during regular driving.

I forgot to add--the clutch passes the "in 1st gear, clutch in, 5000 rpm no movement test".

I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

Anyone?

Last edited by dork; 07-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM
dork
Drifting

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:58 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

It sounds like the clutch is slipping, was it shimmed properly? or NOT shimmed...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-install.html

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-08-2016 at 08:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dork (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:19 AM
dork
Drifting

Hey 73, thanks for posting. I read the entire thread you referenced, and I haven't had any of the symptoms discussed.

I think it was shimmed properly--how can I tell? Aside from this funny noise and extremely slight vibration through the pedal only when I rev above ~5,000 rpm, I don't think I've ever experienced anything else other than clutch chatter, which has diminished almost to being 'unnoticeable' with extended street-driving break-in. (I've only ever rev'd beyond ~4,000 rpm [four] while logging data for my Chuck CoW tune files. I never rev'd beyond ~4,200rpm until after I had ~7,000 miles on the new clutch/accessories installation, so this "problem" is newly-found to me.)

The speed shop that installed the clutch only returned 2 of the 3 Tick shims, so I can only assume they installed the correct one. They've been in business since '97 and from all the internet feedback I've seen, they are renowned for Corvette expertise. I hope they knew what they were doing, but I don't know how to diagnose their work.

The only indication I have that the clutch is correctly done is that at a stop, I can put the clutch in (press the pedal down) and rev to 5,000 rpm and the car won't move at all in 1st gear. Doesn't that prove the clutch isn't slipping? and that the Tick master cylinder is adjusted correctly?

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:40 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

You can get some very peculiar noises if the pilot bearing is failing - or has failed. There was some discussion of this on here a couple years back - try a search to see if you can turn up any similar symptoms.
dork (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 02:01 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=dork;1592586956]Hey 73, thanks for posting. I read the entire thread you referenced, and I haven't had any of the symptoms discussed.

I think it was shimmed properly--how can I tell? Aside from this funny noise and extremely slight vibration through the pedal only when I rev above ~5,000 rpm, I don't think I've ever experienced anything else other than clutch chatter, which has diminished almost to being 'unnoticeable' with extended street-driving break-in. (I've only ever rev'd beyond ~4,000 rpm [four] while logging data for my Chuck CoW tune files. I never rev'd beyond ~4,200rpm until after I had ~7,000 miles on the new clutch/accessories installation, so this "problem" is newly-found to me.)

The speed shop that installed the clutch only returned 2 of the 3 Tick shims, so I can only assume they installed the correct one. They've been in business since '97 and from all the internet feedback I've seen, they are renowned for Corvette expertise. I hope they knew what they were doing, but I don't know how to diagnose their work.

The only indication I have that the clutch is correctly done is that at a stop, I can put the clutch in (press the pedal down) and rev to 5,000 rpm and the car won't move at all in 1st gear. Doesn't that prove the clutch isn't slipping? and that the Tick master cylinder is adjusted correctly?

That proves it is DISengaging... but when it's engaged at higher rpms under a load it may be slipping...
Just my guess...
Old 07-08-2016, 02:58 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default My personal feelings......

Originally Posted by dork
I searched the forums for my problem and can't find mention of a like situation...

I've got an MGW shifter, Tick clutch master cylinder, McLeod RST twin disc, LWT flywheel and OEM transmission. During normal driving and shifting through any gear up or down, there are no problems at all, but at high RPM's, say, above 5000, when I begin to push the clutch pedal in, there's a slight brrrrrp sound, almost like I'm grinding gears. It happens within the first 2" of pedal movement, and sounds like it's coming from the footwell. It sure seems like the noise occurs before I row the shifter. The pedal has an extremely slight vibration when it's making that noise. I drive barefoot; I don't think I'd feel the vibration with shoes on--that's how slight it feels. The shifter, the clutch, and the transmission all behave as normal; no sounds, vibration, or anything unusual during this 'brrrrrp'.

One time, I was shifting between 5000-5300 rpm and I heard a funny high-pitched spinning sound from the clutch after I got into the next gear. I didn't miss the shift, but it sounded like something was just let loose to free spin, like "whiiirEEEEE", as if whatever it was, while building rev's under restraint it was let loose. That was 500 miles ago; there hasn't been anything out of the ordinary with about 30 subsequent 5000 rpm shifts. The clutch fluid is clean. The pedal vibration as I depress it and the accompanying noise started immediately during the last outing. No indications of any troubles before that. Nothing on the DIC, the car seems well-mannered during regular driving.

I forgot to add--the clutch passes the "in 1st gear, clutch in, 5000 rpm no movement test".

I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

Anyone?

Here's my personal feelings on the subject and how we handle stock to VERY modified cars here.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE do we ever replace CLUTCH SYSTEM HYDRAULICS. Simply,

you invite problems and typically gain nothing.

That being said, we use either ZR1 Clutches or our own line of Custom KEVLAR ZR1 or ZO6 clutches. Using the GM proven

design we have minimized any potential problems and the customer gets a very RELIABLE and STOCK FEELING APPLY AND RELEASE.

For a car that has no need for a "racing" clutch or F'd up modified "racing" hydraulics.... Total waste of time and not necessary.

This also goes for BRAKE MASTER CYLS.... People come in with modified ones all the time complaining about how they feel....

INTO THE TRASH THEY GO. The fastest race car out there can do just fine with a stock master.

That being said, given the sound "whiiirEEEEE" you described, It sounds to me like you broke a synchro in the trans because of an

improper shift.... I'll go on a limb here and suggest it's due to the different clutch and master...and a wee bit from the driver.

Again, we get them in here all the time and that aftermarket stuff just never works out....and it's expensive too.

A stock or CoW CLUTCH would suit you much better.

Chuck CoW
Pounder (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 03:01 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Well...that doesn't sound good
Old 08-25-2016, 05:31 AM
charleseawright
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Here's my personal feelings on the subject and how we handle stock to VERY modified cars here.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE do we ever replace CLUTCH SYSTEM HYDRAULICS. Simply,

you invite problems and typically gain nothing.

That being said, we use either ZR1 Clutches or our own line of Custom KEVLAR ZR1 or ZO6 clutches. Using the GM proven

design we have minimized any potential problems and the customer gets a very RELIABLE and STOCK FEELING APPLY AND RELEASE.

For a car that has no need for a "racing" clutch or F'd up modified "racing" hydraulics.... Total waste of time and not necessary.

This also goes for BRAKE MASTER CYLS.... People come in with modified ones all the time complaining about how they feel....

INTO THE TRASH THEY GO. The fastest race car out there can do just fine with a stock master.

That being said, given the sound "whiiirEEEEE" you described, It sounds to me like you broke a synchro in the trans because of an

improper shift.... I'll go on a limb here and suggest it's due to the different clutch and master...and a wee bit from the driver.

Again, we get them in here all the time and that aftermarket stuff just never works out....and it's expensive too.

A stock or CoW CLUTCH would suit you much better.

Chuck CoW
what is an improper shift? how exactly would it break a syncro?
just trying to learn what not to do
Old 08-26-2016, 03:45 AM
02general
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

An improper shift is when you miss a gear and hear the tranny grinding.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:59 AM
02general
Instructor

Hey Chuck, how long have you been working on cars?? Specifically the C5 vette platform?? You do realize the stock gm clutch master cylinder is junk don't you? My 02 z-06 clutch pedal would not come back up and stay stuck to the floorboard anytime I tried to shift it at redline. An aftermarket tick solved that problem.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:04 AM
charleseawright
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 02general
An improper shift is when you miss a gear and hear the tranny grinding.

its not an 18 wheeler
Old 08-26-2016, 04:07 AM
charleseawright
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 02general
Hey Chuck, how long have you been working on cars?? Specifically the C5 vette platform?? You do realize the stock gm clutch master cylinder is junk don't you? My 02 z-06 clutch pedal would not come back up and stay stuck to the floorboard anytime I tried to shift it at redline. An aftermarket tick solved that problem.
id trust the other guy

at 90 thousand miles, sounds like your stock one just needed a rebuild

Last edited by charleseawright; 08-26-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:39 AM
02general
Instructor

Originally Posted by charleseawright
id trust the other guy
Since you agree with Chuck, tell me how an aftermarket McLeod twin disk clutch and tick clutch master cylinder caused whatever the noise is he's hearing? Also he said the car ran and shifted fine after he heard the noise, if he has a broken syncro he wouldn't be able to shift.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 AM
charleseawright
Intermediate

you can shift without syncros... rev match and double clutch

but since it only happened in one gear it seems more like a syncro-may be the thinking behind that
Old 08-26-2016, 05:21 AM
02general
Instructor

He doesn't just hear it in 1 gear, he hears it every time he pushes the clutch almost all the way in when he's at 5000 plus rpm's. The more I think about it, I think he's got a bad throw out bearing and that's the grinding noise when the clutch is being depressed. Yeah I know you rev match and shift without using clutch but he never said he was having to do that.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:27 AM
02general
Instructor

Originally Posted by charleseawright
id trust the other guy

at 90 thousand miles, sounds like your stock one just needed a rebuild
It's a plastic piece of junk, they don't sell a rebuild kit for a clutch master cylinder.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:53 AM
charleseawright
Intermediate

I think theres a guy who you can send it to and he will rebuild it for you

Get notified of new replies

To Wierd grinding 4th and 5th at high rpm's

Quick Reply: Wierd grinding 4th and 5th at high rpm's