C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever wrapped their own vette

Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Garmans12valve
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Has anyone ever wrapped their own vette

Just curious if anyone here has ever attempted or actually completed a vehicle wrap on their own.
I am wanting to do mine and I am the type of guy will try to complete anything once before i pay someone.

Looking for some tips.

If you do it as a profession then some pointers it would be great if you are willing to share some info, if not i completely understand.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:42 PM
advancivic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

-heat gun
-have a friend
-good products like 3m or vvivid that has air pocket releases
-vinyl clear tape and vinyl cut tape
-Don't rush

I've done a few motorcycle that have a lot of hard plastics to wrap it's a time game so don't rush and don't get the back of the vinyl dirty.
A Vette should be real easy
Old 07-21-2016, 10:31 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I would say first try tenting your headlights, if you cannot then don't even think about trying to wrap a car. Because while the materials are slightly different, the principle is basically the same. Also the car has to be properly prepped which is probably the most important thing. Goodluck
Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Depending on your abilities, it can be done. You can buy the rolls off of Amazon. Get either 3m or or Avery film. It's usually between 5 and 800 for enough to complete our cars. Any chrome wraps take a very skilled hand. I wouldn't attempt it.

I would suggest watching a ton of Avery and professional training videos online before getting into it. Also look up some knifeless tape videos. The rear bumper tail light section will be the most difficult with the deep concaves. The mirrors will be a bit of a challenge but they are small so redoing them wont be costly with the material.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Garmans12valve
Instructor

Thanks for the advice everyone. knife less tape seems to be the way to go.

User omega you just shot my hopes down. What about a chrome wrap would make it more difficult. Does it wrinkle easier or something?

Thanks everyone. When i get back from a trip to Pennsylvania i will be trying this.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Dam son you got nerve... and probably more skill than you are letting on.. I won't get near my car with a roll of scotch tape... but I am the one with 10 thumbs.. good luck if you need it. show some pics when thru.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 AM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I've done a lot of wrap on my vette and Maxima. But not the whole car. The bumpers would be most difficult.
That being said. I would never attempt Chrome. It's extremely hard to apply, and scratches very easily and wrinkles easy too..

3m or Avery be your best choices.

Www.Metrorestyling.com.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Garmans12valve
Thanks for the advice everyone. knife less tape seems to be the way to go.

User omega you just shot my hopes down. What about a chrome wrap would make it more difficult. Does it wrinkle easier or something?

Thanks everyone. When i get back from a trip to Pennsylvania i will be trying this.

Chrome doesn't like to cut very easily for one. It also doesn't "heal" with heat very well. If you crease it or wrinkle it you'll be starting over. Its difficult to stretch without distortion. Its almost twice the price too. I'm not saying you cant do it but I would be willing to bet your just going to be upset shortly into it. For sure post up your results when you get into it.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Garmans12valve
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I do not know how this will turn out. Since this will be my first time i will be choosing something other than chrome since all the research has led to the same end result. Most difficult. So ill stick with a simple one for now. Avery has a rustic wrap that has caught my eye.
Just something different than your solid color ones.

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Metro-...dwhiterust.htm
Old 07-25-2016, 02:03 AM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I've wrapped parts of my vette, side skirts front splitter and some interior pieces. Practice and patience is the key
Old 07-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Garmans12valve
Thanks everyone. I do not know how this will turn out. Since this will be my first time i will be choosing something other than chrome since all the research has led to the same end result. Most difficult. So ill stick with a simple one for now. Avery has a rustic wrap that has caught my eye.
Just something different than your solid color ones.

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Metro-...dwhiterust.htm
you are going to wrap your beautiful Vette with Rustic Rust ........??

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ever wrapped their own vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone ever wrapped their own vette